• Thread starter Tradition
  • Start date
  • Views 608
Tradition

Tradition

illuminati
Reaction score
Sin$
I am fairly new to this whole rooting stuff and I don't really know exactly what I'm talking about so please have some patience. :tongue:

I have had my HTC One M8 Verizon model since August 2014 and I am contemplating on rooting because I'm just tired of all the bloatware and Sense. I just want to put another ROM on my phone and just do that type of stuff but I'm not entirely sure on what I have to do. I think I need to unlock my boot loader but since I'm on Verizon, I can't do it through HTCDev.com and I need another way of doing it. Is there another way of doing it that is safe and won't brick my phone?

Also, my camera lenses are scratched and I was wondering if I should get them fixed and then root it or root my phone first then get it fixed?

What are recoveries/kernels and what do they do?

Last edited:
Bear

Bear

Fabled Veteran Mr. Nice Guy 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
To unlock your bootloader, you can follow this tutorial. Before you do can do this though, you have to turn S-Off which you can learn how to do here.

About your camera lenses, I think you'll be safe rooting it first, but it wouldn't hurt if you sent it in for repair first either.

If you need anymore help, just ask. I also have a rooted HTC One M8 converted to a GPE.

Last edited:
Tradition

Tradition

illuminati
Reaction score
Sin$
To unlock your bootloader, you can follow this tutorial. Before you do can do this though, you have to turn S-Off which you can learn how to do here.

About your camera lenses, I think you'll be safe rooting it first, but it wouldn't hurt if you sent it in for repair first either.

If you need anymore help, just ask. I also have a rooted HTC One M8 converted to a GPE.
How did you convert to the GPE? Also, what recovery should I use?

Tradition

Tradition

illuminati
Reaction score
Sin$
Here's a tutorial.

I use TWRP, but they do the same thing.
Thanks so much, but one more question. So I know how to turn s-off and unlock boot loader but how do I root? Sorry if this sounds really dumb but I'm new to this whole rooting thing.

Bear

Bear

Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks so much, but one more question. So I know how to turn s-off and unlock boot loader but how do I root? Sorry if this sounds really dumb but I'm new to this whole rooting thing.
This is the tutorial I used to gain root access. Just skip to Step II then proceed to Step IV.

Before you perform any of this, you'll need your bootloader unlocked and a Custom Recovery. Then perform these steps and turn S-Off.

Last edited:
Tradition

Tradition

illuminati
Reaction score
Sin$
This is the tutorial I used to gain root access. Just skip to Step II then proceed to Step IV.

Before you perform any of this, you'll need your bootloader unlocked and a Custom Recovery. Then perform these steps and turn S-Off.
So if I understand this, for me to root my device I need to unlock ny boot loader but I need to have s-off before I do that and to do s-off I need to be rooted.

Bear

Bear

Reaction score
Sin$
So if I understand this, for me to root my device I need to unlock my boot loader but I need to have s-off before I do that and to do s-off I need to be rooted.
Wow, rooting a Verizon is much harder.

Here, I found this tutorial. Looks much easier.

After gaining root through the tutorial, you can turn S-Off and unlock your bootloader using Sunshine APK which costs $25 since Firewater no longer works. After that you need to flash a custom recovery and you're all set.

Edit: All you need is Sunshine since Weaksauce is included in it.

Last edited:
Bear

Bear

Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, the more I look into it, the more I get confused. Let me start over.

Use Sunshine which is $25 to unlock your bootloader and turn S-Off. After that, flash a custom recovery and then flash SuperSU. Bam! You're all set.

Tradition

Tradition

illuminati
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, the more I look into it, the more I get confused. Let me start over.

Use Sunshine which is $25 to unlock your bootloader and turn S-Off. After that, flash a custom recovery and then flash SuperSU. Bam! You're all set.
Is there anyway to do this without spending the money?

Bear

Bear

Reaction score
Sin$
Is there anyway to do this without spending the money?
To turn S-Off, no. You could probably root and unlock your bootloader by other means, but if you want to gain S-Off, you'll need to purchase Sunshine.

Tradition

Tradition

illuminati
Reaction score
Sin$
To turn S-Off, no. You could probably root and unlock your bootloader by other means, but if you want to gain S-Off, you'll need to purchase Sunshine.
Is that what you ended up using for your M8?

Thank you for helping me with this! :smile:

Tradition

Tradition

illuminati
Reaction score
Sin$
You don't necessarily need S-Off. You only need S-Off for certain things. In my case, I needed to turn off S-Off because I converted my phone into a GPE.
Do you need it to install android lollipop or cyanogen?

Top Bottom
Login
Register