• Thread starter Kontos
  • Start date
  • Views 593
Kontos

Kontos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys, I've looked all over, but have not even gotten a close estimate as to when these new cards will drop.

I'm in a HUGE Pickle, i have to start ordering parts for my new computer for college, but the problem is i want to go with a GTX 980, i start this fall, and i need to know when the new Pascal cards drop, because I will then decide depending on the performance increase whether or not i will purchase a pascal equivalent to the GTX 980, OR the current maxwell 980 at a reduced price.

So if anyone has any incite on the new cards or has found anything about the release please drop it here :biggrin:

Thanks!

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Not much news about Pascal yet it may not even come June. Nvidia had a fake engineering sample to show their stock holders in their last show. June is the goal but not likely to have high end versions yet.

If your aiming for a 980 I would recommend a 390/390X/Fury. The 980 cost way more than a 390X for less performance.

Especially on DX12 games Nvidia has been suffering.

Here are some DX12 benchmarks
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/april-directx-12-benchmarks.1501729/

So far on DX12 the 390X is beating the 980ti and the 380X is on par with the 980.

On latest DX11 games the 390X still beats the 980
1080P
e8aceca9b80892e294a829d3698dadfa.png

1440P
e093adb81059ad2333927a859dea7f3c.png

index.php

Last edited:
Kontos

Kontos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Not much news about Pascal yet it may not even come June. Nvidia had a fake engineering sample to show their stock holders in their last show. June is the goal but not likely to have high end versions yet.

If your aiming for a 980 I would recommend a 390/390X/Fury. The 980 cost way more than a 390X for less performance.

Especially on DX12 games Nvidia has been suffering.

Here are some DX12 benchmarks
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/april-directx-12-benchmarks.1501729/

So far on DX12 the 390X is beating the 980ti and the 380X is on par with the 980.

Besides DX12 how does the 390x compare to the TI?

and what about the fury? what is the equivalent to that in NVIDIA? the Titan?

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Besides DX12 how does the 390x compare to the TI?

and what about the fury? what is the equivalent to that in NVIDIA? the Titan?

The 980ti is about ~20% faster than the 390X on DX11 give or take a few % depending on if its gameworks or not. So its much stronger than the 390/390X.

The 390X is about 2-3% faster than the 390 but cost about 50-75 bucks more so its not often worth it.

The 390 Competes against the 970 and dominates
The 390X is in between 970 & 980 however it beats the 980 in recent games
The Fury non X is competing vs the 980 and wins decently

The Fury X competes vs the 980ti on DX11 they are essentially tied at 1440p+ the Fury wins the 980ti wins slightly on 1080p & Fury dominates at 4k but no single card can run 4k well if your aiming 4k I say get CF 390's.

On DX12 AMD destroys Nvidia due to having far superior DX12 support.

Pascal & Polaris (Next gen archs) should both have all DX12 Tiers maxed out with the exception of Nvidia still not having Async Compute however they are confident that they can improve their software scheduler + use more of their die space for other features will make up for lack of hardware scheduler. I disagree with this move to not have Async compute as they will have much bigger driver overhead.

Its hard to recommend a Fury X these days as you could Crossfire 2x390 and get way better performance in most games (some games won't support CF)

Almost all Fury non X can be bios unlocked into a Fury X as well but some may experience a few issues with all unlocked cores.

You can CF a 390X with a 390 or even a 290 AMD allows CF on cards built from the same board. The 290 & 390 are all Hawaii and the Fury are all Fiji.

If rumors are correct and All new cards are not rebrands you won't be able to crossfire any 300 series with 400 series. However many people suspect atleast the 460 to be a rebrand.

Most people who criticize AMD claim "DRIVERS" but in reality its not so simple.

Nvidia's driver is far superior to AMD's in terms of overhead. However AMD's driver is much more stable. AMD tries to rely on stronger hardware to close the driver gap while Nvidia just optimizes the **** out of their drivers.

Since about 2014 the driver thing hasn't really been a problem for AMD especially since their new Crimson driver its been really improving.

Kontos

Kontos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
The 980ti is about ~20% faster than the 390X on DX11 give or take a few % depending on if its gameworks or not. So its much stronger than the 390/390X.

The 390X is about 2-3% faster than the 390 but cost about 50-75 bucks more so its not often worth it.

The 390 Competes against the 970 and dominates
The 390X is in between 970 & 980 however it beats the 980 in recent games
The Fury non X is competing vs the 980 and wins decently

The Fury X competes vs the 980ti on DX11 they are essentially tied at 1440p+ the Fury wins the 980ti wins slightly on 1080p & Fury dominates at 4k but no single card can run 4k well if your aiming 4k I say get CF 390's.

On DX12 AMD destroys Nvidia due to having far superior DX12 support.

Pascal & Polaris (Next gen archs) should both have all DX12 Tiers maxed out with the exception of Nvidia still not having Async Compute however they are confident that they can improve their software scheduler + use more of their die space for other features will make up for lack of hardware scheduler. I disagree with this move to not have Async compute as they will have much bigger driver overhead.

Its hard to recommend a Fury X these days as you could Crossfire 2x390 and get way better performance in most games (some games won't support CF)

Almost all Fury non X can be bios unlocked into a Fury X as well but some may experience a few issues with all unlocked cores.

You can CF a 390X with a 390 or even a 290 AMD allows CF on cards built from the same board. The 290 & 390 are all Hawaii and the Fury are all Fiji.

If rumors are correct and All new cards are not rebrands you won't be able to crossfire any 300 series with 400 series. However many people suspect atleast the 460 to be a rebrand.

Most people who criticize AMD claim "DRIVERS" but in reality its not so simple.

Nvidia's driver is far superior to AMD's in terms of overhead. However AMD's driver is much more stable. AMD tries to rely on stronger hardware to close the driver gap while Nvidia just optimizes the **** out of their drivers.

Since about 2014 the driver thing hasn't really been a problem for AMD especially since their new Crimson driver its been really improving.

Damn, OK i'm thinking of just waiting for the new Nvidia cards, I never really liked AMD and always had problems with them but never with Nvidia, idk maybe i just wasn't as experienced as i am now with computers but i guess we will see with the new generation of graphics cards.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Damn, OK i'm thinking of just waiting for the new Nvidia cards, I never really liked AMD and always had problems with them but never with Nvidia, idk maybe i just wasn't as experienced as i am now with computers but i guess we will see with the new generation of graphics cards.
Well even if Pascal doesn't come in June expect many discounts when the AMD cards release so if u can wait till then current cards should get cheaper after we see benchmarks for the new ones.

Kontos

Kontos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well even if Pascal doesn't come in June expect many discounts when the AMD cards release so if u can wait till then current cards should get cheaper after we see benchmarks for the new ones.

Yea i was planning on buying all the parts in July! I hope to see the price of the 980 drop a hundred or so, the more money saved the better.

coyote soup

coyote soup

b*tch assss
Reaction score
Sin$
Depending on what processor you're going for you might be able to run onboard graphics until you decide which GPU you want. In that case you won't have to wait to build your PC if you're eager to do so. There should be more announcements in the next couple of months but I don't think the 980/ti will come down that much. It was recently announced that nvidia may have stopped manufacturing the 900 series in space for Pascal, so if that's the case we'll more than likely see them sell out in the next few weeks/months. We'll see though.

Monopolyman

Monopolyman

PC Gamer and Tech Enthusiast
Retired
Mr. Nice Guy Tutorial Creator Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
We should be hearing about more about Pascal (specifically 1070/80) on May 6th, with an expected hard launch during computex in June. I would say it's worth waiting especially if you have until the fall.

Last edited:
Swifty

Swifty

Taylor Swift Gang
Retired
Stickied Bright Idea Free Hoster
Reaction score
Sin$
I heard a rumor it will be released around summer time. I'd wait personally.

Kontos

Kontos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
We'll should be hearing about more about Pascal (specifically 1070/80) on May 6th, with an expected hard launch during computex in June. I would say it's worth waiting especially if you have until the fall.
I heard a rumor it will be released around summer time. I'd wait personally.

Thanks for this!! I will most likely wait for the newer cards! either to buy the existing ones cheaper or the newer higher performance cards,

Jet1337

Jet1337

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys, I've looked all over, but have not even gotten a close estimate as to when these new cards will drop.

I'm in a HUGE Pickle, i have to start ordering parts for my new computer for college, but the problem is i want to go with a GTX 980, i start this fall, and i need to know when the new Pascal cards drop, because I will then decide depending on the performance increase whether or not i will purchase a pascal equivalent to the GTX 980, OR the current maxwell 980 at a reduced price.

So if anyone has any incite on the new cards or has found anything about the release please drop it here :biggrin:

Thanks!

I have two gtx 980 ti cards and they're great. I really don't like judging cards based off benchmarks, but all benchmarks I've seen have the 980 ti beating out the 390x and almost all beat out the fury x. The only exceptions are in some 4k benchmarks and games that take advantage of DX12, which isn't a lot. There aren't many games that use DX12. Do a google search and you'll be surprised.

The times that AMD's cards do beat out Nvidia's, we're talking less than 10fps at most in each respective tier. It's negligible at best, but this is all according to benchmarks on different systems. The next gen of cards should be something to look forward to.

Right now wouldn't be the best time to invest in a 980 or 390 card if you're looking to get a top tier card. If you really want one, there should be a price drop when pascal and arctic are announced.

Top Bottom
Login
Register