GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Programmer Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Non-Disclosure Agreement
The importance of protecting your information and trade secrets cannot be overstated. Many members around the world are engaged in active projects, to which most are unprotected. I am provided a free Non-Disclosure agreement for anyone to rightfully use. Please protect yourself and your projects. Download here.
2eyz3ux.png

*If you would like to share your NDA, please send me a PM.

Hiyper

Hiyper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This will help a lot of people who are paranoid of their ideas being stolen or working on commercial products.
+1

lowpro

lowpro

Professional Abecedarian
Programmer Mythical Veteran Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Actually was thinking about this the other day, I wish this section got more attention, it's worthy of way more than 2 likes :smile:

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Actually was thinking about this the other day, I wish this section got more attention, it's worthy of way more than 2 likes :smile:

Thanks man! This was brought to my attention from another member. How have you been? Ever since the decline of modding programs, the programming sections seem to suffer.

lowpro

lowpro

Professional Abecedarian
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks man! This was brought to my attention from another member. How have you been? Ever since the decline of modding programs, the programming sections seem to suffer.
I've been great actually! I got an InfoSec internship and I'm loving it :smile: Also started learning Rust and beginning College in a month, so I'm pretty excited. How have you been? I saw your job posting so I guess you're still working on a video game? I wish I could help, I've been pretty busy though.

And the section feels somewhat dead, modding just isn't what it once was, since I'm not aware of any Xbone hacks like the 360 jtag. I've been out of the modding/gaming scene for quite awhile now.

P

pwfdc

Bright Idea Programmer Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I really want to chime in here as this is a big deal to me too, and others where we deal with intellectual property.
NDAs are very helpful, but are misused.
Story time!
Okay, so in high school people knew I love to program, and my passion for computers. Only a couple times have people actually came up to me and asked me about an idea of theirs or for me to code something for them "real quick". I'll tell you about one of these times.
Please keep in mind that I am allowed to share this with you because I did not sign the NDA, and the other party dropped the idea anyway. Please also know I'm replacing any gender specific things with "party" to keep my post somewhat subtle in that area, and so you know I'm not referring to a group of people, but a single entity.
So this party came up to me one day asking about this new great app idea they had. A "social network" app, much like MeetMe, Facebook, Twitter, etc.. Now the party wasn't completely ignorant in technology as they knew basic web design, so they knew what they were talking about somewhat. They also knew the power of ideas, and they knew I knew how to build it. None the less, they tried to get me to sign an NDA. I was like, "I'll look at it and think about it." I did really do both things; it was then I realized this party had no clue what this NDA was as they downloaded a general template from the interwebs and it wasn't even related to the situation, it was related to manufacturing. So of course the next day the party asked me if I signed it, I handed it back to the party and said no.

I obviously went on to explain further and I'll explain why here.
When proposing an NDA you have to balance the pros and cons.

Pros
Your property is protected (physical [as in code, or a physical product] and intellectual [ideas, brainstorming, etc.]).
You know your rights and if they use your content.
You can sleep soundly.
You don't have to succumb to them just because you're worried about the safety of your ideas and such.

Cons
Here's a big one, it can be a deal breaker.
It can show lack of trust.
Tension can sometimes grow.

Why and How can a NDA be a deal breaker?
Okay, I want you to imagine this. You're a programmer who freelances in his free time. You've seen it all, Facebook clones, Twitter clones, etc. You don't care as long as you get paid, and there's no lawsuits. All of a sudden, here comes a client to hire you for his next "better than Instagram" app idea and throws an NDA in front of your face. Wouldn't you feel there was a lack of trust? What about first impressions? And wouldn't you think this guy is crazy for such a clone of an idea?
If you can answer the questions with the obvious correct answers, then you know why an NDA can be a deal breaker; and how...because would you really want to work for someone so up on his high horse that he is making someone sign an NDA for an idea that lacks uniqueness.
Which leads us into...

When should I have someone sign a NDA and when should I not?
Okay, so I'm sure some may disagree with me here; and I will be insulting some of you.
Do not make someone sign an NDA on your next zombie survival, sandbox, FPS, online game you make; especially if you're using other assets (I mean more than 50% of your project is not original works). Also, I'm sorry but your next "big" multi-CoD RTE (or is it RTM? I can never remember) is not that big of a deal anyway.

Now you're probably curious when you should have someone sign an NDA, now keep in mind I will split NDA and a GC [General Contract] for this section. I'll give you a couple scenarios and a few more things. Feel free to disagree, but these are my personal opinions.
  • User data. This is a big one. I'm working on chat bots for a streaming site, and you have to authorize my bots to be used in your channel, obviously this can be abused if anyone steals my stuff and user information could be leaked (depending on how much is given to us). Which is why all team members (excluding one, my like co-head developer haha) will sign both a NDA (for code purposes as all of it, excluding modules, is original work. And the ideas on the brainstorming board, and so on) and a GC (for more user privacy/security reasons).
  • Uniqueness. Is it just a Twitter clone? Did you know you can get in huge trouble for even styling it after twitter and using their trademarked stuff, if they have any. I remember someone getting sued by Facebook for create a CSS style template and duplicating Facebook's layout, probably stealing their code...who knows.
  • How much is done? Do you have stuff already done? Or are they walking into a new project? If stuff is already done, then it may be worth (term used loosely) stealing.
  • Do you have a reputation? Are you a first timer or do you have other finished projects you can show this person so they feel more comfortable signing the NDA?
  • Is it worth the possibility of a bad first impression? This goes along with the above questions. If you have no projects, have no reputation...you more than likely will make a bad first impression. Is it worth it?

When should I sign a NDA?
Take a look at the above section and just use common sense. Really ask yourself, "is this project worth signing something that could come back to bite me in the *** later?"

Know your limits!
I can not stress this enough, do not make this 4 page long NDA for something that's not worth it. Don't say "the party can not work on Sunday because of religious reasons," because lets be honest here...is that REALLY needed in the contact?...unless you're Chick-Fil-A (which by the way, having Sunday off is pretty awesome).

That being said, if you all are interested in some more NDAs I have, I can dig the rest up and do some altering to help fit a more general scene. I may make a pack...I'll do it tomorrow at some time.

Hiyper

Hiyper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I also agree, this section has seen a lack of threads and attention (Which is odd because this programming community is one of the better ones I have been in). Take this hacking/programming/gaming site, <Censored for advertizement reasons>. I was apart of the community for 2 years, I had 1k posts and was a very respected programmer in that community. Now first let me talk about the community. Leechers out the ***, RATers, Just plain terrible community, But the amount of people who stuck around baffled me. I was one of the few members who released quality programs built up a "rep" as a hacker (I had pen-tested multiple websites for people). All the other programs were VS Designer programs. I even saw a program that had just buttons, yes, buttons that did nothing. They said it "it hacks yur ms points using a botnet and then then bootstraps points into your account". People actually respected him for releasing his first program. Now here is when I left the community and became apart of this one. I had released my "YouTube View Bot". It worked like a charm, multi-threading, gave it away for free. It had a 0/55 detection when I scanned it. The second I release it, someone rescans it and some how returns 1/55 (Why this happened I am unaware). Then then entire community hops on my thread calling me out for posting malware and stuff. I was then banned for a week for accusations of posting malware (Which was NOT). The admins banned me without looking into it at all, just hopped on the bandwagon.

That is why I am apart of this community and this section deserve a lot more love. 
I also agree, this section has seen a lack of threads and attention (Which is odd because this programming community is one of the better ones I have been in). Take this hacking/programming/gaming site, <Censored for advertizement reasons>. I was apart of the community for 2 years, I had 1k posts and was a very respected programmer in that community. Now first let me talk about the community. Leechers out the ***, RATers, Just plain terrible community, But the amount of people who stuck around baffled me. I was one of the few members who released quality programs built up a "rep" as a hacker (I had pen-tested multiple websites for people). All the other programs were VS Designer programs. I even saw a program that had just buttons, yes, buttons that did nothing. They said it "it hacks yur ms points using a botnet and then then bootstraps points into your account". People actually respected him for releasing his first program. Now here is when I left the community and became apart of this one. I had released my "YouTube View Bot". It worked like a charm, multi-threading, gave it away for free. It had a 0/55 detection when I scanned it. The second I release it, someone rescans it and some how returns 1/55 (Why this happened I am unaware). Then then entire community hops on my thread calling me out for posting malware and stuff. I was then banned for a week for accusations of posting malware (Which was NOT). The admins banned me without looking into it at all, just hopped on the bandwagon.

That is why I am apart of this community and this section deserve a lot more love.
Also i might add no one ever helped, no one ever taught the newbies things and the veterans kept all the knowledge to themselves.

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$

Yes well said, and you know an NDA should not contain anything other than keeping ideas, information and trade secrets safe. Other parts like "the party cannot work on sundays" belongs in a completely separate contract.

One thing people need to take note of, is contracts are for adults (lol). You have to be at least 18 to contract in to an agreement, and that goes for both the party and the representative. Otherwise the contract I provided will need to be altered to allow for parent consent, which isn't hard.

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I've been great actually! I got an InfoSec internship and I'm loving it :smile: Also started learning Rust and beginning College in a month, so I'm pretty excited. How have you been? I saw your job posting so I guess you're still working on a video game? I wish I could help, I've been pretty busy though.

And the section feels somewhat dead, modding just isn't what it once was, since I'm not aware of any Xbone hacks like the 360 jtag. I've been out of the modding/gaming scene for quite awhile now.

Nice man well good luck. Im not in games anymore, too expensive. The past ten months ive been working non stop on a community management software. I have some family members in the business and were making one hell of a software. Were finishing up soon here. We have several clients ready and a master community (Trilogy at PowerRanch).

I was doing a code metric analysis on it the other day and 101,995 lines of code lol! Gotta say I was not expecting that, considering the biggest halo 2 mod programs I used to make, which were big, were only about 6000 lines of code.

What languages are you in to, I will need to be hiring some help to work on the project (not C#). Looking for web languages, web designers, sql server guru's.

lowpro

lowpro

Professional Abecedarian
Reaction score
Sin$
Nice man well good luck. Im not in games anymore, too expensive. The past ten months ive been working non stop on a community management software. I have some family members in the business and were making one hell of a software. Were finishing up soon here. We have several clients ready and a master community (Trilogy at PowerRanch).

I was doing a code metric analysis on it the other day and 101,995 lines of code lol! Gotta say I was not expecting that, considering the biggest halo 2 mod programs I used to make, which were big, were only about 6000 lines of code.

What languages are you in to, I will need to be hiring some help to work on the project (not C#). Looking for web languages, web designers, sql server guru's.
Damn 100k! You're dedicated! And yeah games aren't a good idea unless you're a big dev nowadays I think. And I'll PM you about some other stuff since we're off topic about the disclaimer :smile:

Top Bottom
Login
Register