New Research Says Video Games are Causing Boys to be Less Sophisticated than Girls

Discussion in 'Homepage' started by OctaVariuM, May 4, 2012 with 74 replies and 15,823 views.

1. OctaVariuM

OctaVariuM The Void Retired

View the Post on the Blog
  2. matt 9999999999

matt 9999999999 Contributor

Hope my parents dont hear about his, and this is bull s***. Less girls go to college than boys so there for the college thing doesnt even matter in my opinion.
    MrGoldenBong likes this.
  3. InfectHead

InfectHead Strip the flesh, salt the wound!

Considering the amount of dumba** girls on Facebook, I'm inclined to think this is BS.
  4. AwesomeMax

AwesomeMax Special

I really don't care what some random "medical doctor" has to say about how kids are wasting their life playing video games when he's wasting his researching pointless **** that no one will remember in a year. It's also quite obvious he hasn't ever been on facebook.
  5. OctaVariuM

OctaVariuM The Void Retired

While I respect your opinion, I can't say I agree with some of your points. It's not just some random person. People who publish scholarly papers, let alone books, spend years and years collecting data, doing research, writing the actual paper/book, and getting it approved for editing/publishing in scientific journals. From the little I have read, this person spent a lot of time looking at correlations and trying to find a cause.

And, I am sure they have been on Facebook, but that does not tell them anything. If you look at what they referenced, it is all academics (outside of the brief mention of social problems). Just because girls post stupid comments/pictures on Facebook does not mean they are worse off than boys. I think this person provides enough from context to say otherwise.
  6. ds7630

ds7630 Contributor

They people who wrote this need to sit in school for 8 hours again, I think they forgot how that was.
    BIGSxNPTACTIX19 likes this.
  7. ERRM

ERRM Trololo

If they want people to stay in school, make it not boring as **** to sit there for hours a day. School was nothing more than some **** chore for me. I never did any of their homework and yet I aced all of their tests. School was a waste of time for me.

As for the reason why more people are staying inside and playing games is because the realize that going outside and doing the same **** all the time gets boring. With video games you can do something different everyday.

Also **** books. Reading is for nerds.
  8. InfectHead

And garbage collecting is for idiots. :)
  9. MeGusta

MeGusta I hate SS.

Funny thing is that u both are right lol.
  10. Random Scrubz

Random Scrubz #Selenation

I can believe this. I mean a guy is definitely less sophisticated when he's jumping around in the air while turning and yelling out "360 no scope!"
    Revshots likes this.
  11. Scrublenaut

Scrublenaut Enthusiast

This is how my life goes; never do homework at home, never study, play xbox and listen to music, and still manage to get A's in all my classes. Video games, music, and the internet are not holding me back but I guess if I did study and do homework I'd be running straight A+'s instead of A's and A-'s but I could really care less as I'm more into the arts.
  12. Fuzz

Fuzz Project Manager

I was thinking this too.
  13. iRanbirHD

iRanbirHD Gaming PC?!

Well, I play video games 4 hours a day. I have all the honor classes. My average GPA is 4.0.

I believe the medical research is false. Most boys (who are failing) are attempt to do drugs, smoke, drink, skip classes, parent abusing, etc. It is not about the Video Games.
  14. Riku

Riku Getting There

Less sophisticated my ***, Girls do that ****in stupid duck lip pose, majority of them can't live without their phones, some of them are just borderline retarded and lack any common sense. This is why I dont pay attention to any " research" articles when it comes to videogames
  15. Batman

Batman Enthusiast

Yes because the school system allowing people to come to school dressed like bums, music encouraging people to commit crime, and lack of parenting skills could definitely not contribute to why college rates overall are dropping constantly. And who's to say that girls don't spend all day inside? just because their not screaming in their mics about spawn killing doesn't mean their outside running a marathon. I'll admit after cutting back on video games a couple years ago my school work has improved but it's up to the person to be able to balance video gaming & schoolwork out.
  16. Wazzzz_up

Wazzzz_up Enthusiast

I disagree, I'll admit, I am doing bad in some of my classes and get really bored at school, however I don't think it has anything to do with Video Games or online activities. I simply don't do my work and get bad grades because I am lazy, I was like this before I started gaming, and now that I stopped playing (I turn on my Xbox about once every 3 - 4 months, and that is just to ask a friend from school if we had homework.... although I don't do homework). I get online every day, yes. I get home from school, eat, and turn on the computer, however I check my E-mail see if anybody left me any messages on any of my accounts on different sites, and then do one of the following: a.Start to draw. b.Use Photoshop. c.Read d.Learn new ways to do things with computers. or e.Sit there and watch T.V. I have made up my mind and decided to attempt to got to college and major in Graphic Design or Computer Engineer, and I am taking AP courses in school, however I don't do my work because I personally chose not to. Honestly, "video games and online media outlets" MIGHT have something to do with it, but I don't see it... And I agree with the other comments about school being boring, yesterday my teacher gave us a survey to take that will "help determine the life of students," it was an anonymous survey so your name was not on it and it was bubble in the answer type of survey, I started it out being honest, I put the correct answer, 20 minutes into it, I realized I was on question 30/225! I said **** this and started to bubble in random things, they want us to take that kind of stuff serious? make it 50 questions max and I'll do it, but 225! I'm out get false info from me. Besides how much worst can they make it? All the money is already going to the Sports department not actual classroom equipment.

lol, long post.
    InfectHead likes this.
  17. InfectHead

Good to see you're honest about it, rather than most other people who just say they don't study/do homework/revise etc. and still get A's.
  18. se7ensinser

se7ensinser Banned

Wrong just plain wrong
  19. Jessiah331

Jessiah331 Enthusiast

While I wholly agree with your stance, and to respect people (not just instantly bash), I am quite skeptical of ANY article, research, etc, that claims "one group is not as good as another group". Like the data that came out last year claiming that a new survey found that IE users had lower IQ's. While it may seem true on the surface, and while there are plenty of smart girls and dumb guys, huge tech schools like mine are still predominately male. And while this doesn't exactly prove that guys are smarter/dumber (as it could be the oppression of women into lesser academia programs, I think that it certainly goes to show that there are guys out there that can play games and function as outstanding humans.

Also your quote "Just because girls post stupid comments/pictures on Facebook does not mean they are worse off than boys" could be said entirely the other way. Just because I teabag someone and yell insults on XBL, doesn't discount the work on my MS. (also not trying to come across as an ***! Just discussing)
  20. Lucifer

Lucifer Annoying spammer

I've been playing video games all my life yet the worse grade I have gotten in high school so far is a B, I hereby declare BS.