What's new

Discussion MS-Dos emulator pre-installed!

How was my first thread?

• Yay

• Nay

• I don't really care :p

Results are only viewable after voting.
TheAtom

TheAtom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
While I was snooping around the System32 on my system, I noticed one of the files called COMMAND.COM and it said it was a MS-dos application. I thought it was cool that Microsoft still recognizes MS-Dos stuff, but then I realized that COMMAND.COM was the main part of MS-Dos. So I decide to open it aaaaaannnnnnndddddddd....... It opened up the command prompt. BUT, there were some differences... First off, the title said MS-Dos Prompt, which is crazy considering that Microsoft had removed it since XP. Secondly, The copyright stuff said Windows DOS, and 1990-2001. 2001 is around the time when Windows ME was released, meaning that this is the EXACT same file! So I pushed this to the limits and typed it edit. (which opens up a type of "notepad") And, well, IT WORKED! So, there you have it. A MS-Dos emulator preinstalled on Windows!

EDIT: Alright, so when I was writing this I was using a makeshift computer with Windows Vista on it. I got a new computer running Windows 10, and again, I was snooping around the System32. I realized that I had an MS-DOS Emulator on the computer. I try to find it, but it is not there. I would like to know what Windows Operating Systems have this application, so if you are using a different Windows OS that has this installed, please let me know.

Operating System
  1. Windows
Last edited:
VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Mythical Veteran Trifecta End of the Year 2015
Reaction score
Sin$
While I was snooping around the System32 on my system, I noticed one of the files called COMMAND.COM and it said it was a MS-dos application. I thought it was cool that Microsoft still recognizes MS-Dos stuff, but then I realized that COMMAND.COM was the main part of MS-Dos. So I decide to open it aaaaaannnnnnndddddddd....... It opened up the command prompt. BUT, there were some differences... First off, the title said MS-Dos Prompt, which is crazy considering that Microsoft had removed it since XP. Secondly, The copyright stuff said Windows DOS, and 1990-2001. 2001 is around the time when Windows ME was released, meaning that this is the EXACT same file! So I pushed this to the limits and typed it edit. (which opens up a type of "notepad") And, well, IT WORKED! So, there you have it. A MS-Dos emulator preinstalled on Windows!

holy **** man, nice find. since it's the same file I figure it's kind of an easter egg.

TheAtom

TheAtom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, it could be that microsoft thought it was "cheaper" to just keep it in... :wink:

Top Bottom
Login
Register