Modding Mass Effect I (Hex Editing Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Modding Tutorials' started by kamakzy56, Feb 3, 2010 with 24 replies and 50,413 views.

1. kamakzy56

kamakzy56 Enthusiast

Modding Mass Effect I (Hex Editing Tutorial For Noobs)

Just saw the Modding Mass Effect II tutorial and saw that there was no tutorial on how to mod the original.

~~
    Needs:
    1 Xbox360
    Mass Effect
    A Data Transfer Kit (or some other way to get your data across)
    A Hex Editor
    A Brain
    Xport/Modio/Xplorer
    CONcept (or other resigner)
    ~~

-Table O' Contents-
    1. Gathering Data
    2. Transferring The Files
    3. Editing The File(s)
    --A. Money
    4. Wrapping things up

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

1. Gathering Data

This is optional but I strongly recommend doing it, I will be referring to this a lot in the hex editing portion of the tutorial!

Pull out a piece of paper (or Windows' handy notepad) and write down key points such as;

• How much money do I (you) have?
    • What is my current XP amount?
    • What is my current level? (Max is 50 | 60 if you have already beaten the game)
    IE for me the answers to those questions would be

• 3795139 Credits
    • 536031 XP
    • lvl 57
    If you think of any other key data that you may find useful to you later on when you are creating your own modifications to the game be sure to write those down as well.

2. Transferring Data

If you have M$'s Data Transfer kit simply plug your HDD into the slot then plug the USB end into your computer and voila you now have access to your HDD!

To view the files stored on the harddrive we are going to use one of the programs listed above. (xport/xplorer/modio) In this tutorial I will be using Modio.

We start by running Modio (as admin if you are running Win7/Vista) and going to its device explorer.

[​IMG]

Then opening our connected drive.
    [​IMG]

After that we are going to navigate to: Partition 3\Content\E0000xxxxxxxxxxx\4D5307E8\00000001 (xxxxxxxxxxx = your profile ID | 4D5307E8 = Mass Effect | 00000001 = Game Saves)

After that locate the game save(s) you wish to Mod and drag it to your desktop.

Once all of that is done you can disconnect your device and close Modio for the time being.

3. Editing The Files

This is the hardest part of the tutorial but so long as you know how to use the search function on a hex editor you should be fine and dandy. For this tutorial I will be using a hex editor called Hex Workshop you can find the link at the top of this tutorial.

We are going to start off by opening our game save inside of our hex editor. With hex workshop all you have to do is drag your file onto the desktop shortcut and your file will automatically be opened.

Once you have your file loaded into your hex editor we can start by using the base converter to find out what our Hex String is. (If you are using Hex WorkShop it is the Gear icon next to the Calculator right above all of the code, if you are not you can use this website.)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now we type in our value (in this case how much money we have) in the box labeled "Decimal" and copy the new value given to us in the box labeled "Hex".

[​IMG]

Once we have our value we can move on to using the Find or Search function within our hex editor, for Hex Workshop click the binoculars. (the one without the arrows)

[​IMG][​IMG]

We do this first rather than simply replacing the value so that we can be 100% sure that this is the only matching value and it is indeed our money value. If there is more than one value you can do one of two things;

1. Play the game a little bit to get a new amount of money and repeat steps 1 and 2.
    or
    2. Recheck your notes and make sure you have the right decimal value and the correct hex value.

Then make sure you are searching for Hex Values and enter the value that the base converter gave you.

[​IMG][​IMG]

If the hex editor only find one instance of your hex string we are in clear water and can move on!

The next and final step in the process would be replacing the old hex value with a new one, to do this we can either type in a new hex value manually or we can use the Replace function. For the sake of simplicity and to insure that there is no mistake I will be using the Replace function.

In Hex Workshop the Replace Function is the icon that looks similar to a refresh symbol and is 3 icons to the right of our Find button.

Enter the old hex value and then for the new value enter "00FF00FF" [00FF00FF = 16711935] and hit OK then Replace All. Your edited value will be red, check to make sure that is the value you wanted if it is then we can save our file and move it back to our device.

4. Wrapping Things Up

To save our file in Hex Workshop simply press File --> Save, it will prompt you asking if you would like a backup created, (I would press yes just encase things don't work out) answer accordingly.

Once your file is saved close out of your hex editor and open your file re-signer (I will be using ConCept, found at the top of the tutorial)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Once your file is resigned re-connect your device and re-open your device explorer, Navigate back to: Partition 3\Content\E0000xxxxxxxxxxx\4D5307E8\00000001

and insert your file (overwriting the old one)

Then you are done! You have just modded Mass Effect 1 via hex editing.

Now you can apply the same methods used to find/edit your money values to edit things like your current XP or other values in other games.
    ~~~~

Any questions/comments/concerns should be posted here rather than in my inbox.

4 people like this.
  2. DJ411

DJ411 Enthusiast

So can u mod the Talent Points by any chance?

3. kamakzy56

kamakzy56 Enthusiast

Yup, just use the same method only rather than using your money values look for your point value. (I have not tried finding my team member's points tho so I don't know how that will go over)

4. DJ411

DJ411 Enthusiast

sh!t i had like 34 points, searched for it and couldn't find it. There was to much options so i have up maybe there wasn't a way.

5. 7S Razor

7S Razor Newbie

just putting it out there..... don't use FFFFFFFF as a new replacement because u will get negative 1 as the result

6. DJ411

DJ411 Enthusiast

ya i know i learned that in ME 2 i think can't remember... but thankz any ways. I'm still to lazy to do this my self i need tutorial. But i'm not playing ME 1 right now and i beat ME2 on PC so i got the Mass Effect Bug out of my system.

7. 7S Razor

7S Razor Newbie

yea im going to switch over to me2 once i beat this 1

8. BoBoShemet

BoBoShemet Newbie

Thank you, this really helped.

9. MoXie xT

MoXie xT Newbie

do it for me

10. LSNA x GAZZA

LSNA x GAZZA Newbie

?

im confused

11. kamakzy56

kamakzy56 Enthusiast

Ah my bad, I actually used 00FF00FF in my own save (16711935) which works fine. Fixed my tut :tongue: Thanks for the catch, I have no idea why I said FFFFFFFF to start with :?
    With what?

lazy much? lol Allright send me your files in a PM and I will do it for you.

12. thatguyzx

thatguyzx Newbie

are any of the locations for Talent Points or money stable? If they are always at a specific location, like in Mass Effect 2, could someone screenshot or point out where? or perhaps what offset or something.

I've been trying to edit my Talent Points with no luck. Even trial errored editing every individual instance matching my talent points number and nothing.

13. kamakzy56

kamakzy56 Enthusiast

Well if you are going to do trial and error you will need a large and fairly nice sized number of points. The smaller the number the more likely that the leading value will match up with some other addresses.

I have not looked to see if the addies for the money and talent points are the same for every game save but I suppose you can compare with my money address (I would also give you the talent point addy but I just started a new game with a new character so I don't have enough to go snooping around yet)

Money: 0x00013D00 ( 8-B ) ~ 00013CF8

[​IMG]

Edit: have you tried using the other byte orders, I have edited my talent points before so I know it can be done.

Edit2: If you are having to much trouble modding your Talent Points you can always simply mod your XP making you lvl up. (Remember the MAX XP is 862099, that's 1 XP before hitting level 60. HEX equivalent: 00 0D 27 93)

14. frowelishnu

frowelishnu Newbie

***Complete Update***

I found the address for XP and skill points. They don't stay constant throughout the saves, but I found a marker:

XP Marker

1. Search for 0B0000000000000007506C61796572 (It is the text ........Player)
    Note: Don't just search for Player or 506C61796572 - there are a ton of those

2. Scroll up 9 lines, from the start of your search

3. Check the next four values against your XP total

4. Enter desired XP amount, in hex of course

Please let me know if anyone finds more than one instance of the search string (I haven't yet)

Skill Point Marker (A little more tricky)

1. Search for 0000054A6F686E (It is the text ...John)
    Note: If you're character name is different then search for that

2. Their may be more than one result, start with the first one found

2. Scroll up about 12 to 15 lines. You are looking for the text ...X (hex is 00 00 00 58)

3. Check the value right before the 58 against your skill point total

4. If it doesn't match, try the next search result
    Note: Mine has always been the first search result

5. Enter desired skill points, in hex of course
    Note: just add about 200 points so that you don't have to go back and do it again

Another wrinkle (damn, skill points are tricky).
    I checked today and instead of ...X, I had ...Y (00000059).
    I'll try it and update.

Update: Kinda lost. Now I'm not sure about the marker. Any help would be awesome.

Enjoy!

15. NatPro38

NatPro38 Newbie

Is it possible to change the armor you are wearing using this method? I was wondering if i could try and get the Jormangund Hazard armor on the xbox version.

16. fudwamper

fudwamper Newbie

I just stumbled on to this tut but I am having a problem. I put in my hex string for exp and they come back with no entries found. A lot of my data are returning no entries found. I input decimal in the converter then enter the hex into the find box.

17. .Paradox

.Paradox Contributor

Can you mod health? I've always wondered this because in most games like this there is no number to show the health but then there are programs for such games to give you unlimited health, so I'm wondering, how do you mod the health?

18. .Paradox

.Paradox Contributor

Did you switch it from text to hex, so instead of searching for text you're searching for hex?

Also I really need an answer to the health thing.

19. dEku

dEku Senior Member

I tried searching for my health and there was no entries found. I don't really think you can mod the health but I'll try again later just in case, might be in a couple days or whenever I get around to it.

20. Jessiah331

Jessiah331 Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification. Kinda figured it worked the same, just dug for a tut to make sure :smile: