1. Think you have what it takes to join staff? Click here and check out the Staff thread to find out more information!
  2. Looking to spice up your game collection with a copy of the highly anticipated Bungie title Destiny? Hop on your ship and engage its hyper drive, this contest is going to be a heated one! Visit the contest by clicking here.
  3. Hello Guest, our very own Vanilla Minecraft Server is now up! Be sure to grab a few friends and check out the server here so that you guys can start your very own faction! Check it out HERE!

Mic Mod (Turtle Beach Chat)

Discussion in 'Xbox One Tutorials' started by NAVYDUDE, Nov 22, 2013 with 33 replies and 8,654 views.

1. NAVYDUDE

NAVYDUDE Iacceptdonations.com

Well I have been wondering if this would work and finally come across this guide. I am headed to radio shack to get parts. Hope this helps everyone.

EDIT: Went to radio shack and got a 2.5mm (3/32) male connector and everything works perfect.
    I am amazed why MS wouldn't have released some sort of adapter it would be so easy to make. Oh well 3.49 plus tax and about 20 mins labor and i have my own. Mine looks almost factory a little better than the photos below.

Radio Shack Part # 274-244 (stereo Submini phone plug) its 24k plated also for good connection.

http://www.funkydiver.com/xbox-one-headset-mod/

What you’ll need…
    • An XBone Headset
    • A 2.5mm audio jack – this is smaller than the standard 3.5mm headphone jack, so don’t go rushing cutting your SkullCandies up.
    • Soldering setup – so an Iron and solder
    • Heatshrink is ideal – HobbyKing is VERY cheap if you’re happy to wait – or you could settle for tape… fiddly, but it’ll work.
    The first steps, you don’t really need to do as I already did it. You can just go ahead and chop the cable at the point where it enters the headset.
    If you do decide to strip the headset down first, here’s what you’ll see.
    [​IMG]

So, you have your chopped off cable.
    You need to strip about 3cm of the sheath off to expose 3 wires and the copper braid. Here’s what the different colours “do”;
    • White – Mic live
    • Braid – Ground
    • Blue – Speaker live
    • Black – not used
    The individual wires are individually plastic coated, along with a fibre core. I’m not going to go into how to deal with these, you can get more information here. So you’re going to solder these as follows.
    [​IMG]
    The copper is the ground and the black will not be used. You just need to figure out which pole (identified as Mic, earphone, ground) on your connector goes where.
    I used a connector I found in the garage, so mine came out like this, with heatshrink ready to be shrunk.
    [​IMG]
    It was then just a case of shrinking all the tubing and plugging into XBone controller and TB headset and voila…
    [​IMG]

I have updated this Tut just a little bit. The black wire will not be used so just leave it be. I have went to a new type of mod and will update soon with pics. Im now using a 2.5mm male cable and going directly to the board located in the adapter. Its easier to solder and much better looking.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. The Governator

The Governator Get To The Choppa!

Like Like Like!!!!
  3. mazdamiata210

mazdamiata210 Getting There

Works great, but now we need optical 7.1 support... It's useless have turtle beaches when we only have stereo output :(
  4. Alex

Alex PEN15 Club Director Retired

It isn't, if you have X11s and whatnot just use the green 3.5mm jack and plug it into the headphone (line-out) socket on your TV.
  5. mazdamiata210

I have x41's and no matter how I hook them up I only get stereo... I tried right from the box, or from the back of my tv with both rca's or optical cable and the xbox won't put out anything other than stereo uncompressed.
  6. GIitch

GIitch Getting There

Can this be done with Astro's? I would like to do this, but I don't want tear up my Xbox One headset if it doesn't work.
  7. Alaina 7S

Alaina 7S When I close my eyes, I Can't see.

Nice tut. Does it work for Astro A50s?
  8. DoS ElliotFRA

DoS ElliotFRA Getting There

I had this wtf : [​IMG]
    Only 3 cable on my jack 2.5
    Blue, Black and a White surrounded by copper

EDIT : I have put the white on the white, the copper on the copper , the blue on the blue, and the black o nthe black it's doesn't work :(
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  9. zaar

zaar Newbie

I opened a 2.5 cable and I see
    red
    green
    copper

what color cable connect to X1?
  10. smurf816

smurf816 Enthusiast

Lol, this is rather risky.. Gonna just wait for an adapter so I can still have my headset in OG condition lol.
    FatRambo123 likes this.
  11. mazdamiata210

Kinda weird my friend did this with his white turtle beach wire for his x31's and now whenever someone else talks or when he presses the max volume up it echoes back into the chat from his mic.
  12. xXmanslaughtrXx

xXmanslaughtrXx Contributor

Tbh, i heard they were going to have an adapter O.O
  13. NAVYDUDE

OK. To clear all the confusion of will the work or not. I have done this on both my Xbox One consoles. I did mine first just to make sure it would work and then headed to radio shack to get the replacement ends as posted above. If you follow the directions its very simple. The echo is from the Mic and Speaker wires touching as this happened during the testing of the first mic. I can say with total confidence hat this works. If your soldering skills are not that good don't attempt this. I have both my TB x41 and TB x42 working flawlessly. Oh and yes they are comming out with an adapter around April 2014.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 25, 2013 ---
    Im not sure if this works for Astros but i cant imagine why it wouldn't.
  14. NAVYDUDE

You will need a volt ohm meter to make sure which color goes to what part of the plug. Whit is almost always for the Mic and should go to your white wire. The blue would go to blue and the black and the copper are both ground and should be twisted together hen soldered if possible.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 25, 2013 ---

Stereo is all thats accepted right now. There will be an update im sure. My x41 and x42 sound fine like this and have been using them since day one.
  15. stunnedjack

stunnedjack Enthusiast

Hey I just wanted to let you know this does work with the Astro A50s, I just did this hack and it works perfectly.
  16. NAVYDUDE

Thanks for clearing that up. It is the same principle so i couldn't imagine that it wouldn't work the same.
  17. mazdamiata210

What size shrink wrap did you use and what would work best to cover it all up nicely?
  18. Keysnsamples

Keysnsamples Stuff n Thangs Retired

I was planning on doing this when I got my X1.
    Nice to see it works.
    :D
  19. ForeverxGhosty

ForeverxGhosty Premium Premium

does this work if I just use the 2.5mm cable that comes with my x12's​
  20. NAVYDUDE

yes it will work with the x12 chat cable.