• Start date
  • Views 504
DealSeekerof7sins

DealSeekerof7sins

Professor of Deals
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
http://www.unilad.co.uk/articles/man-finds-rare-nintendo-playstation-console-from-early-90s/

One lucky guy has reportedly found a rare prototype of the Sony and Nintendo-developed PlayStation console which played both CD-ROM disks and SNES cartridges.

The original images were posted by Imgur user DanDiebold, who claims the device belonged to his father who once worked for Nintendo. His father found the rare console in a box “full of junk” after he lost his job.

The user hasn’t yet had the chance to boot up the device due to not having the correct cables for it, therefore we are yet to know if it IS in fact a genuine prototype – but looking at the images, it’s hard to imagine that it isn’t.

ps.jpg

ps2.jpg

Thoughts? fake?

Alex Red Red Atlas Atlas Pianist

Red

Red

VIP
Retired
Scaling the Mountain Mythical Veteran MotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Probably fake

Iirc nothing physical ever came out of the deal

I

IwearHelmet4Bed

Getting There
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
Just seen this on another web page, if it is fake someone has sure gone through a lot of effort to make something like this. If it isn't fake, its cool as hell :smile:

Stxnce

Stxnce

⋆ Car Obsessed ⋆
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm not really sure but I think it's fake.I've never seen one before.

Knowledge

Knowledge

<3
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Straight from wiki

Development on the Nintendo PlayStation CD-ROM add-on and SNES/SFC standalone hybrid console began. However, at the last minute Nintendo decided to pull out of the partnership and instead go with Philips, and while no CD-ROM add-on was produced, several Nintendo properties (namely The Legend of Zelda) appeared on the Philips CD-i media console.
It looks like nothing was ever produced for the SNES that made it a disk based system. This could be a basic shell prototype but nothing went into production as far as I can find.

OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

cyan:wave2:Buying burnt food!
Retired
Lifetime
AzzidReign Jr End of the Year 2012 Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
"I'll make my own console! With blackjack. And Hookers!" -Sony

Lint6

Lint6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Straight from wiki

It looks like nothing was ever produced for the SNES that made it a disk based system. This could be a basic shell prototype but nothing went into production as far as I can find.

While I believe its fake
Probably fake

Iirc nothing physical ever came out of the deal

According to an IGN article from 1998, 200 prototypes were made

http://www.ign.com/articles/1998/08/28/history-of-the-playstation

The first Play Station never made it out of the factories. Apparently, about 200 were produced, and some software even made it to development. For whatever reason, whether it was because of the tough licensing deal with Nintendo, or the predicted passing of masked ROM (cartridge-based) technology, Sony scrapped its prototype.

Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Mythical Veteran Trifecta TotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
As far as I know, there are a few prototypes out there. I'm open for it being legitimate.

Top Bottom
Login
Register