Solved Largest HDD for Original Xbox?

• Thread starter peanutismint
  • Start date
  • Views 38,836
peanutismint

peanutismint

Reaction score
Sin$
Apologies if this is old news; I did a quick search for 'biggest hard drive' but didn't turn up much...

It's been so long since I modded my original Xbox I can't remember what modchip is in it. I heard this makes a difference as to how big a hard disk you can put in it.... I currently have a 300GB one in there, but would love to 'max it out' as it now pretty much acts as a home media server in my parents house (I only ever use it when I go home...!).

Is there A) a definitive answer as to how big a drive you can put in, and B) a way to tell which modchip I'm using (if that makes a difference) without opening it up??

sand1303

sand1303

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i believe my brother had a 500 in his back in the day. thats not a definate answer as far as the max but i am pretty sure at least 500 works. it has to partition anything over a certain size into two partitions if i remember right. the splash screen usually has some sort of branding mixed in it with most chips. a lot of people would soft mod them not even using a chip. i got an xecuter in mine

Last edited:
micmou

micmou

Reaction score
Sin$
Well I used to be big into the scene mine sitting on my table has a 500 GB in it anything above 250 is incredibly hard to find anymore. The chip doesn't really matter unless you have purchased and installed a off brand or knock off chip mine has an xecuter v2 and yes that is as high as xecuter made the v3 is a fake Chinese rip off. I have seen IDE as high as 1TB but after a 120 you need to use the Q parition or if using XBMC than you have three different virtual partitions of the Q Partition I Know that there was only 1 chip that supported the TB IDE and it had some issues but a SATA to IDE is never a really good idea considering mainly they dont last very long at all and have horrible speeds. 500GB is good enough since it cannot do HD with out some iffy modifications even than only able to do 720p only ones I have seen that are able to do it stock are the actual development kits. You could purchase if you can find them a dream box which was a heavily modifed xbox with an external flash chip and the ram socket was changed from 64mb to 128mb. I use my when traveling and for emulators

CyrusDevX

CyrusDevX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
The largest IDE HDD and supported by the xbox is a Seagate 750GB; however, you can also upgrade to a maximum of 2TB using IDE to SATA adapters... finding the right adapter can be a hit and miss . You can read a bit more tutorials at the following link: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=649

Yup: Largest native HDD ive seen work without issues with the fatx structure is the 750GB HDD. Also if speed it what your looking for then go with a seagate barracuda 500GB @ 7200 RPM's. Very good for my setup. Sata to ide will be only as fast as the ide bus can handle. If Storage is what you want, and you dont really need the DVD drive, you can modify the Power cable to the dvd drive to a Molex port along with a dvd drive "faker" circuit (jumping a few wires is all) and with the dvd side ide socket, can support 2HDD's on the system. Maybe one for linux,etc. And the other for Dashboard. Ive seen users go and buy a longer ide cable, add more sockets for a total of 4 ide ports, allowing 3HDD's and the DVD drive OR 2HDD's + 1 PCdvdrom drive + xbox dvdrom drive. This person used it in junction with a lot of other xbox's to make a "xbox super computer cluster". super being not really about the speed XD.

jblaze252

jblaze252

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i see the OP hasn't replied

Apologies if this is old news; I did a quick search for 'biggest hard drive' but didn't turn up much...

It's been so long since I modded my original Xbox I can't remember what modchip is in it. I heard this makes a difference as to how big a hard disk you can put in it.... I currently have a 300GB one in there, but would love to 'max it out' as it now pretty much acts as a home media server in my parents house (I only ever use it when I go home...!).

Is there A) a definitive answer as to how big a drive you can put in, and B) a way to tell which modchip I'm using (if that makes a difference) without opening it up??

Halix2000

Halix2000

Reaction score
Sin$
I have (currently) (3) 2TB Original Xboxes. The key to this is definitely to TSOP flash and to use IND-BIOS. And yes, it works fully. I have these loaded with 1.17 TB of games and a large amount of movies and emulators. They do not crash. In case you were wondering I am using a Kingwin ADP-06 SATA to IDE Bridge Board, a Hitachi 2TB Ultrastar HDD, and ind-bios 5003 in each box.

micmou

micmou

Reaction score
Sin$
Because it won't work.

I might as well put why it wont work.

The issue is that there is not enough partition space for it ti work and even if there was you would need to modify alot of the core files to get the drive to even work as the xbox was only ever made for a HDD so doesn't know how to use a SSD and also I imagine you will run into the problem of the IDE of not being able to use all of that speed of the SSD most modern HDD cannot use every bit of speed.

DJ LayinLo

DJ LayinLo

Reaction score
Sin$
I have 2 1TB that work great. Key is definitely getting the right BIOS and adapter. One of mine is X3 chipped and the other is softmodded (SC Exploit). Good luck and hit me up if you need any help!

Top Bottom
Login
Register