E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
JTAG/freeBOOT/XBReboot FAQ

*Information for this FAQ has been taken from many sources. Most was typed but there are also parts taken from other sources*

JTAG Hack = RGH Hack = R-JTAG Hack
They all consist of the same principle.

Xbins is mentioned in this FAQ a couple times. Here is the download for it.
Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/283243738/xbins.exe
JTAG Hack:

What is the JTAG Hack?
This is a new hack which can boot homebrew code in less than 5 seconds. For now, all we need to know is that this is a new way to exploit the well-known 4532 kernel, in a way which also works on updated machines, unless they have been updated by the summer '09 update. It also works on all hardware types.

What does the JTAG Hack require?
1. The hack requires a console that has not been updated to the August09 dashboard. Although some consoles with the 7371 kernel have already been patched to stop the JTAG hack.
2. Some soldering skills.
3. A computer with a LPT(printer) port.

What does the JTAG hack allow me to do?
The JTAG hack unlocks your 360 and gives full control over it. Allowing.
- Linux
- Homebrew
- Unsigned Code
- Use a Re-booter(Freeboot or XBReboot)

Where can I learn how to do the JTAG Hack?
You can learn how to do the JTAG hack with the tutorial here.
How to do the JTAG Hack/Dump NAND/Install Xell

Where can I learn how to dump my NAND?
You can also learn how to dump your 360's NAND image here.
How to do the JTAG Hack/Dump NAND/Install Xell

Can this be done to all motherboard revisions?
Yes, all motherboard revisions are vulnerable to this hack. But the dashboard update on August 10, 2009 patched this hack. Some consoles that were manufactured or refurbished around June/July already have the patch applied. Which is why some consoles with the 7371 kernel are not vulnerable.

How do I know what kernel version I have?
In the dashboard go to System Settings>Console Settings then scroll down to System Info. Your kernel version is shown here. In this picture the 360 has the 8955 kernel applied. This console is not vulnerable.
xbrtut1.jpg

Kernel Vulnerability:

8498 and Higher - Any console with a kernel 8498 and higher have been patched to stop the hack.

7371 and lower - Any console with the 7371 kernel or a lower version of the kernel are most likely vulnerable to the hack.

7371 - This is the "iffy" kernel. With this kernel you have to dump your NAND to make sure that you have a vulnerable CB. Some consoles with this kernel already have the patch applied to them and cannot be JTAG'd.

How can I tell if my CB is vulnerable?
First you have to dump the NAND image. Which can be learned how to do here.
[se7en=xbox-360-tutorials/164479-do-jtag-hack-dump-nand-xell.html]How to do the JTAG Hack/Dump NAND/Install Xell[/se7en]
Second you would open it in Degraded 1.1 which can be downloaded from Xbins. This is the directory to get to it.
Code:
/XBOX 360/development/kernel/downgrading/
Your CB version will be displayed.
xbrtut2.jpg

Exploitable CB versions:
1888, 1902, 1903, 1920,1921: exploitable xenon
4558: exploitable Zephyr
5761, 5766, 5770: exploitable falcon
6712, 6723: exploitable jasper

Non-Exploitable CB Versions (CD = 8453 for all of them)
Xenon: 1922, 1923, 1940
Zephyr: 4571, 4572, 4578, 4579
Falcon/Opus: 5771
Jasper: 6750

freeBOOT

What is freeBOOT?
Freeboot is a Xbox 360 re-booter. This will allow you to boot into the latest dashboard released by MS without the kernel on your 360 changing. Freeboot works on Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon, and Jasper consoles with 16mb flashes.

What does freeBOOT require?
Freeboot requires you to have a second NAND. This means you have to do one of the following:
- XD Card Mod
- Install a CygnosV2
- Install a CygnosV1
FreeBOOT v.03 does not require DUAL NAND setup anymore.
Freeboot also requires the JTAG hack.

What can I do with freeBOOT?
Freeboot allows you to:
- Boot into the latest Xbox 360 Dashboard without changing your 360's onboard kernel.(Play the latest and greatest games)
- Your 360 will accept any type of SATA harddrive(Use any SATA HDD)
- Removed LIVE/PIRS signature checks(Free content for this console)
- Removed XeX signature checks(Mod games)
- Use Emulators
- and more

Does XeX Loader work with freeBOOT?
Yes, XeX Loader was tested with freeBOOT and works perfect.

Can I go on Xbox Live with this?
If you were to go onto Xbox Live with this. It would not be very hard for MS to pick up on the fact that you are using a rebooter. You will most likely be banned quick.

Can I .map mod Halo 3?
Yes this combined with the XeXloader and H3Unlock will allow you to mod Halo 3. Now you don't have to buy a Dev Kit:tongue:

Where can I download freeBOOT?
You can download freeboot on Xbins
Directory is:
Code:
/XBOX 360/development/freeBOOT/

How do I install freeboot?
I was not able to locate a tutorial for this. But the readme does include instruction on how to install freeBOOT onto your 360.

XBReboot
What is XBReboot?
XBReboot is another rebooter just like freeBOOT. It has mainly the same features that freeBOOT has. But is able to be flashed straight onto your onboard NAND instead of on a second NAND. Only downside is XBReboot is not as stable as freeBOOT.

What does XBReboot require?
Does not require a second NAND.
Just like freeBOOT. XBReboot requires the JTAG hack.

What can I do with XBReboot?
You can do the same that you are able to do with freeBOOT. Wich includes:
- Boot into the latest Xbox 360 Dashboard without changing your 360's onboard kernel.(Play the latest and greatest games)
- Your 360 will accept any type of SATA harddrive(Use any SATA HDD)
- Removed LIVE/PIRS signature checks(Free content for this console)
- Removed XeX signature checks(Mod games)
- Use Emulators
- and more

Does XeX Loader work with XBReboot?
Yes, I personally have XBReboot installed on a JTAG'd 360 and XeX Loader works perfectly fine without hiccups.

Can I go on Xbox Live with this?
If you were to go onto Xbox Live with this. It would not be very hard for MS to pick up on the fact that you are using a rebooter. You will most likely be banned quick.

What is the difference between XBReboot and freeBOOT?
XBReboot does not require the second NAND. But is not as stable as freeBOOT is. freeBOOT had more developement time than XBReboot did.

Besides stability issues are they the same?
With stability issues aside. Both XBReboot and freeBOOT are basically the same thing. They both have their small differences but for the most part are the same.

Where can I download XBReboot?
You can download XBReboot from Xbins.
The directory is:
Code:
/XBOX 360/development/XBReboot/

Is there a tutorial on how to install XBReboot?
Yes, in the readme file that you get when you download XBReboot there are instructions. But here is a tutorial on how to install.
How to Install XBReboot

Which Re-booter should I use?
If you do not know how to do the xD Card mod or cannot find a tutorial on it and don't want to spend money on a Cygnos V2 or V1 chip then I suggest using XBReboot since it does not require the second NAND. If you have a second NAND then I suggest using freeBOOT since it is more stable than XBReboot and will run better.

Did I forget something? Please say what was left out so it can be added.

Did I get something wrong? Please tell what is wrong and what it should be if there is a correction that needs to be made.

If you have a link to a Freeboot tutorial please post it. So it can be added to the FAQ. I could not find one and need one for this.[/code][/CENTER]

Last edited by a moderator:
E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Would be nice, but its probably going to end up in the support section.

C

Carson

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Thank you very much, this is perfect. Stuck.

If anyone else has more information they think should be added, just post here and me or Eclipse will add it.

And I think this is best suited in Xbox 360 Discussion, but it's a coin toss. Support would be fine too. What do yall think?

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I am looking for one and right now having no luck.

I need to find a XD card mod tut and a Freeboot tutorial. IF not then I will just have to make them.

Right now I am writing up the JTAG and NAND dump tutorial for the tut section.

superaison

superaison

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Freeboot is easy, the xD card mod is far too advanced for 99% of the people on 7. I did it, but i'm beast.

UnknowingAcorn

UnknowingAcorn

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
thanks cleared a lot of questions i had up. :thumbup:

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Check your install and make sure you have it right.

lx leo xl

lx leo xl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
decima7e said:
what if it says "could not detect a valid flash controller"
Try the following
-a different computer
-thicker wires ( I Used ethernet)
-Shorten your cables AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, I honestly cannot emphasize this last option enough, 3 installs I have solved by this last step.

decima7e

decima7e

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
ok , now every time it is looking for my printer ports, it scans, but every time it gets to the port I set it as in the bios the xbox turns off. (force shutoff)

im going to set it as a diffrent bios port now, see if that works.

edit: nope

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
You don't need the 360 on to read the nand. Just need to have it plugged in.

CraigChrist8239

CraigChrist8239

VIP
VIP
Hardened Veteran Experienced Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I know this sounds noobish, but if you have a JTAGged xbox, can you use the dev kit tools on modio?

Modified

Modified

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Excellent post Eclispe. :thumbup:

If only my 360 was vulnerable. I might need to find one on eBay or something. Trying to JTAG my Xbox would be a great project to pass the time. Oh well, thanks for the post.

P

Pockets69

Reaction score
Sin$
Great Post Eclipse, I would like to ask one thing, in the instructions to make the rebooter (i am using freeboot) the step 8 on the tutorial says:

"8. The remaining files necessary to build an image with kernel 2.0.8955 must
be extracted from an image of an updated Xbox 360, further on referred to
as "bin\other8955.bin". Please do *NOT* update your Xbox 360 to kernel
2.0.8955, otherwise you will loose the ability to run the JTAG hack and
freeBOOT."

How do i do this?? i mean how do i extract the files from a xbox 360 with 8955 update:cursing::cursing:
I am clearly missing something here :S can you guys help me out?

Is there any image availble on the the internet, so i can use that instead of dumping it form a xbox 360 with that kernel version? If the JTAG hack doesn't work on the newer dash how am I suposed to dump the 8955:cursing::cursing::cursing:
This is killing me.

i wanted to edit my previous post but couldn't found the edit button, i managed to solve my problem.

But thanks anyway!

Top Bottom
Login
Register