1. Want to help spread the Se7ensins cheer throughout the PC gaming community? Check out a little project one of our staff members is working on for CS:GO! More information concerning this can be found by clicking here.

Introducing the Gear Calculator

Discussion in 'Borderlands Glitches and Modding' started by duncanfogg, Apr 24, 2010 with 49 replies and 31,499 views.

1. duncanfogg

duncanfogg Enthusiast

The Gear Calculator
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    http://gearcalc.50webs.com/

New features/changes in v1.2.0:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --Full shield support added.
    --Crit damage fixed.
    --Grip/Material/Manufacturer lists properly linked.

New features/changes in v1.1.0:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --Auto-naming and tech calc preferences now saved for future visits
    --URLs linking directly to a specific gun build are now generated
    --Option to enable/disable auto-load of user's last build during a previous visit
    --Part previews are now shown in the log area
    --Export of weapon card and stats as BBCode added
    --Weapon card contents adjusted, rescaled
    --Tweaked a few naming errors, shotgun pricing fixed
    --A few minor UI tweaks for convenience (click-to-copy, etc.)

New features/changes in v1.0:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Added weapon card generation and ability to save card to local PNG
    • Added gear code import from clipboard
    • Added all unique guns from original game
    • Implemented accurate cost calculation
    • Added procs per second stat, ammo regeneration stat
    • Many, many bug fixes including sniper prefixes, shotgun titles, and others

NOTE: If you still see the old version, force refresh your browser till you see v1.0 in the log area.

Now presenting a new tool for playing with Borderland guns (specifically guns only at least for now). The Gear Calculator calculates weapon stats from user-selected parts and also tells you the legitness (naming-wise) for the gun. Naming priorities, linked names, and attribute-dependent names are all considered.

Now, weapon cards, minus material-specific coloring, are generated. You can export or save the weapon cards, gear codes, and stats by using the copy buttons on the right side. Coming soon is gun "deconstruction"--entering partial stats and/or names and generating the part combination that yields those stats.

Newly added is the calculation of elemental impact DPS, as well as a few other derived elemental stats. Enable their calculation by checking the "tech stats" check box. It will take a few seconds to calculate. These elemental stats are calculated over thousands of "trials" to obtain meaningful averages, since elemental abilities are probability based.

The general premise for the program is that you have to match an item grade to a gun type. Each grade-type pair is unique and unlocks a certain gun "template" guiding which parts you can pick. The part combos it lets you pick will always work in-game. Clicking on either the part type labels or the combo boxes will show the current part's modifiers in the text area below.

Please try it and be descriptive of the bugs and inaccuracies to help me fix it!

Here's a screen:

[​IMG]

2. Helioslion

Helioslion Enthusiast

Would you ever consider adding a feature that says wheather or not the gun would even work?

3. duncanfogg

duncanfogg Enthusiast

Any gun that this program lets you calculate WILL be allowed in game, that is one of the main goals.

Let me just also add that it is really buggy right now.

4. discgolfer72

discgolfer72 Enthusiast

i cant load the site or link at the top any chance of a upload to filefront of the like

5. ClassicalDonkey

ClassicalDonkey Newbie

Sorry to say but the site opens for me, but then it only lets me select the top two things and does not let me select the rest!

6. XanderChaos

XanderChaos Experienced Member

Same. But it looks great so far!

7. Gamewinners42

Gamewinners42 Enthusiast

I can only select the first two and nothing else. In the first two drop down boxes, there is nothing to select. I LOVE the idea though!

8. duncanfogg

duncanfogg Enthusiast

That's because I limit the combos based on Item Grade and Weapon Type combinations. Generally speaking, the vast majority of grade-type pairings are UNIQUE in the game and dictate what can or cannot spawn/be modded. If nothing is coming up, it's because you weren't picking a valid item grade and weapon type combination (ie combat shotty grade MUST be with combat shotty type, etc).

Also, as I said in my first post, only SMGs, repeaters, machine pistols, combat shotguns, and assault shotguns work right now. I haven't got round to transferring other parts to my data files (time consuming). So don't pick sniper, launcher, mg, or rifle grades/types.

As for it not loading, yeah it's on a slow, crappy free hosting service so sometime it chokes (I've noticed it too). All I can say is to try again momentarily until I switch hosts I guess.

9. duncanfogg

duncanfogg Enthusiast

A new version has been uploaded fixing calculation. The data files are also now embedded so there shouldn't be any more loading issues. I'm probably going to start adding sniper rifles (normal and semi-auto) to the data files next. Legit checking is still broken.

10. benjamin90

benjamin90 Newbie

just had a look at it and made a gun with random bits and i think it is great! Allows you to try out what your wanting rather then then putting it on ur harddrive and finding out it doesnt work or something! Big Time Saver!

I know your busy with adding data and everything but maybe in the future you could somehow make an image of what the gun looks like (like a preview), dont know how possibly this is as i am kinda new to all this and havn't grasped the whole thing yet....but would be a nice feature for when your making stuff.

Also needs the DL3 gear in it

11. Infernal Panda

Infernal Panda Enthusiast

I like this idea. I'm going to be a new modder soon, and I've been reading a lot of posts. I don't fully know the whole codes thing.. So when I read this I was amazed that now this easy calculator can help me. I mean if your and Xander started talking, maybe have this included into willow tree, new modders and old wilo have an easy time making guns. Good job.

12. CosmicStriker

CosmicStriker Enthusiast

very cool but it needs a little clean up work i think.
    the manufacture material and grip should all change together since those have to go together for a legit gun to even work. Well at least the Grip and Manufacture.

under grips the Gearbox brand grip is listed but not in materials or manufacture when i tested it for a SMG... wanted to make a Gearbox Double Anarchy.

I made a Hyperion Twisted b|tch but it says prefix not in pool of possible prefixes and title is not in pool of possible titles yet i know for sure you can have one made that works in the game because I've done it.

I do like the Rarity Number now i am going to have to test it until i find one that is really rare ... so far 89 is the best i've gotten on it testing stuff. I wonder what would show up as rarity of 100.

13. duncanfogg

duncanfogg Enthusiast

I like your idea about linking grips to manufacturer, I think I'll add that. Gearbox guns use their own item grades, I will implement all unique and pearl guns AFTER I get all the main guns in (I'm adding snipers, rifles, and MGs later today). I'm also correcting SMG bodies 4 and 5 as well as the Defiler accessory later.

As for the Twisted b**** thing, the program currently is for legit-ish guns that the game generates, not modded ones. I DO plan on removing my prefix and title restrictions as a user option in the near future, though that will wait till everything else is in and working.

1 person likes this.
  14. duncanfogg

duncanfogg Enthusiast

I fixed SMG bodies 4 and 5, the Needler title, and the Defiler accessory. I also added support for sniper rifles, semi-auto sniper rifles, combat rifles, and support MGs. So, I think most of the main gun categories are covered. Based on CosmicStriker's suggestion, the grip and manufacturer drop down lists are also now linked for convenience, so changing one will change the other to reflect the change.

Next up will be to add rocket launchers, uniques, pearls, and Gearbox guns. I'll also add the ability to select any prefix and title. Legit checking and cost calculation will be addressed later as well.

15. duncanfogg

duncanfogg Enthusiast

New version uploaded. All Knoxx uniques and pearls have been added. Several part-related fixes are in there as well.

16. CosmicStriker

CosmicStriker Enthusiast

looking good but... i noticed that parts from Machine Pistols and Repeater Pistols are not together, but you can put Repeater Pistol Prefixes on Machine Pistols... Like Vile and Noble can be interchanged is it legit maybe not but it does work.

also it would be interesting to see the Player level max to 70 or even more because I know that people have hex edited there items up to that if they have a level 70 character.

I saw max leveled items in the game the other day it was level 65,000 or around there and the weapon had like 300,000 damage. I should have taken a photo... I will next time.

17. duncanfogg

duncanfogg Enthusiast

I just uploaded a new build. "Recent history" and "enhanced DPS" (accounts for accuracy) features added, though not polished. I haven't tested my implementation of the enhanced DPS so I'm not sure how true to my formulas they are in reality. It also contains a couple bug fixes (Serpens, Hammer, Ajax's Spear, sniper mags) and a slightly tweaked naming system.

Legit-checking and cost calculation still untouched (broken).

18. ClassicalDonkey

ClassicalDonkey Newbie

Maybe its just me, but I am getting "Error #2046" it does not load for me!

19. duncanfogg

duncanfogg Enthusiast

New build up.

20. duncanfogg

duncanfogg Enthusiast

New version is now up. The biggest change is that you can now select from any prefix and any title. It also includes a bunch of bug fixes, mostly for MGs and snipers.