Content Team
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Scaling the Mountain Platinum Record
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
How dare you post that filth in here!?!?! :smile:

At least you bought some upgrades right away though...

SkilledPhantom

SkilledPhantom

Reaction score
Sin$
Motherboard shouldn't affect FPS. It's likely just an ATX/mATX one.

shouldn't cheap out on the foundation of your rig since if the motherboard doesn't work then nothing will, it is up to you if you would rather build your house on sand or stone.

denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
MotM End of the Year 2014 Trifecta
Reaction score
Sin$
shouldn't cheap out on the foundation of your rig since if the motherboard doesn't work then nothing will, it is up to you if you would rather build your house on sand or stone.

Lel, please explain the benefit of a more expensive motherboard in a pre-built without an overclockable cpu.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
It's okay. I bought a Nvidia GTX 980 to hopefully beef it up. lol. Hopefully it all works out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oh god.

You bought a prebuilt thats worth like 300 bucks for 600
Now your buying a 980 in 2016?

OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

cyan:wave2:Buying burnt food!
Retired
Lifetime
AzzidReign Jr End of the Year 2012 Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Oh god.

You bought a prebuilt thats worth like 300 bucks for 600
Now your buying a 980 in 2016?
Yes.

What GPU would you get for $300? It's not too late to return it. haha. But i didn't see anything better for the same cost. Could spend a little more money for an R9 Fury, but that only seems a hair better

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes.

What GPU would you get for $300? It's not too late to return it. haha. But i didn't see anything better for the same cost. Could spend a little more money for an R9 Fury, but that only seems a hair better

8gb 470 for ~220 usd and save the rest
Or 480/390/390x for $250 or the Fury X for 370

Fury X $379.99
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/CDx9TW/xfx-video-card-r9fury4qfa

8gb models of the 480/470 sorted by price
http://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=376,370&sort=a8&page=1&r=8192

390 for $250
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/MGGj4D/gigabyte-video-card-gvr939g1gaming8gd

Even the 1060 would have been a better buy just due to the 6gb ram.

Game are already using over 4gb of ram buying any card for $300 with 4gb of ram in 2016 is utterly retarded. Atleast the Fury with 4gb of ram is HBM so you atleast have a little reason for that.

And Nvidia cards are not so great in the latest API's they lack essential hardware support to fully benefit from Vulkan/DX12

aO2PLOE.png

The 390 is barely faster than the 970 on DX11 at 1080p (destroys at 1440p) except in the games using over 4gb of ram like Mirrors edge where the 970 can't even hold 20fps.

But then move to DX12/Vulkan and the 390 is close to the 980ti.

The Fury X utterly demolishes the 1070 in vulkan despite the 1070 winning in DX11 (at 1080p anyways)

Last edited:
SkilledPhantom

SkilledPhantom

Reaction score
Sin$
Lel, please explain the benefit of a more expensive motherboard in a pre-built without an overclockable cpu.

i don't mean a expensive motherboard with all the fancy lights and such i just meant some sort quality motherboard that will last no matter what you put it through and gives you room to expand your rig, as you said "Motherboard shouldn't affect FPS" well all the data has to move around somehow so having a bad motherboard would slow that down.

But i know this is a pre-built and they do skimp out on some parts but this is a good idea for when your building your own computer in the future because having heaps of good parts and a horrible motherboard isn't going to do well in the long run.

OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

Retired
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, i'm returning it. Lol.

Motherboard has a 4 pin cpu power connector and my new psu wont work with it. Everything in it is sooo cheap

Habofro

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Bug Finder Services
Reaction score
Sin$

Motherboard has a 4 pin cpu power connector and my new psu wont work with it. Everything in it is sooo cheap
Which is why you should never ever buy a pre-build PC. EVER. Everything in it is ****. If you were too lazy to build it yourself, you could've simply paid someone to build it for you or something... smh

denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$

Just saying but CPU power plug on PSU is likely 4+4 pins meaning you can unclip it and use it on 4 pin cpu power.

gives you room to expand your rig

Expand what?

SLI and Crossfire? Performance doesn't scale too well in majority of games.
Storage? Fine if he has 4/6 Sata Ports.
PCIe cards? Unless he has mITX, should have space or might not need it at all.

as you said "Motherboard shouldn't affect FPS" well all the data has to move around somehow so having a bad motherboard would slow that down.

That's not how a motherboard works lol.

Unless it's using like Gen 1 PCIe/SATA 1 which is likely not the case since it's for new CPU, a 'bad' motherboad 'will not stop data moving around'.

SkilledPhantom

SkilledPhantom

Reaction score
Sin$
Expand what?

SLI and Crossfire? Performance doesn't scale too well in majority of games.
Storage? Fine if he has 4/6 Sata Ports.
PCIe cards? Unless he has mITX, should have space or might not need it at all.

what i mean by 'expand' is if you ran into a job that requires more RAM or better graphics cards such as using image-editing program like Photoshop, data-encryption software, or doing some distributed-computing project not just playing games. and of course having more graphics cards lets you accelerate crypto-currency mining to produce Bitcoins, Litecoins, and other virtual currencies.

That's not how a motherboard works lol.

Unless it's using like Gen 1 PCIe/SATA 1 which is likely not the case since it's for new CPU, a 'bad' motherboard 'will not stop data moving around'.

i'm sure it does but it would be some crazy ulta mega small amount

OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

Retired
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
Just saying but CPU power plug on PSU is likely 4+4 pins meaning you can unclip it and use it on 4 pin cpu power.
Already looked into that. There are like four 8 pin connectors that split into 6+2, and not a single 4+4

denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Already looked into that. There are like four 8 pin connectors that split into 6+2, and not a single 4+4

Lel, those are for your GPU.

Check your PSU cables properly, you 1000000000000% should have atleast 1 of the ones for CPU, likely even 2 if you brought it new, with nothing missing.

OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

Retired
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
Lel, those are for your GPU.

Check your PSU cables properly, you 1000000000000% should have atleast 1 of the ones for CPU, likely even 2 if you brought it new, with nothing missing.
I'll check again. Just looked up the cable listing and it definitely is suppose to come with a 4+4. I went through my cables one by one and didn't see it though. Maybe it just didn't split as easily as the others.

Should be the 2nd one, right?
o68rzZc.png

denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I'll check again. Just looked up the cable listing and it definitely is suppose to come with a 4+4. I went through my cables one by one and didn't see it though. Maybe it just didn't split as easily as the others.

Should be the 2nd one, right?

It's supposed to come with 2x of them. Yeah it's the second one in the list.

Feel free to take a picture of your cables lined up and we can try to point it out.

Top Bottom
Login
Register