What's new

Hardware Mods I want to paint my slim white!

N

niliro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
hello! i want to paint my slim white! but everytime ive tried on previous consoles or controllers they end up feeling weird and like paint is on it (lol) but yea i want to paint it white! then cut a plexi glass and install LEDs etc etc. so what kind of paint do you guys use :smile: and LEDs and etc can someone point me in the right direction? i saw the stickied tutorials but those are for the phat console! or does it not matter?
thanks!

ChrisDuffy20

ChrisDuffy20

Reaction score
Sin$
Shouldn't matter if you follow the tutorials for PHAT or SLIM consoles. They're all made out of the same material (Matte finish, the gloss is obviously different).

Personally .. I have a friend that's an automotive painter and had him redo my car. Part of cars is plastic, so he informed me that you'll need adhesion promoter to help the paint stick. Essentially, prep work is the most important. You need to properly prep the plastic for paint. Then, adhesion promoter, paint, and gloss / clear coat if you want that look. Metallic paints are harder to make look good, but well worth the struggle.

F

Fierces

Reaction score
Sin$
Hey, if you need help with your console hmu, otherwise, check out this video to help open your console- ,personally id use some kind of glossy paint because of the texture and finish as well as paint over 1-2 times for a perfect coat. As well as console ROL here's a website to purchase them with a extra Led in case you mess up (works for controller LED and console = cheapest I could find)- http://www.modjunkiez.com/LEDS_c_25.html , ive bought from here before as well! you'll need a soldering iron and solder for the leds which you can watch a YouTube video for the installation which is fairly easy. Hope this help. PM me if you need any extra help!

Xplic1tt

Xplic1tt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
When I painted my phat I used duplicolor adhesion promoter, and krylon fusion paints.
tips -
THIS MUST BE DONE SOMEWHERE WITH LITTLE TO NO HUMIDITY
-use the least amount of paint possible. put on the thinnest coats, from about 1 1/2 feet away, to get even coverage. take your time, and let it dry between coats.
-sanding is very important. get out all surface blemishes. even the tiniest scratches will look like gouges when you're done.
-mask off everything tightly. invest in frogtape, not dollar store making tape.
-wait until the paint has dried to pull off any masking.
-get a spraypaint gun. it makes your spray much more even and controlled. here's one from 3M - http://goo.gl/eEdqDu

To get rid of the stickyness that spraypaint usually has, you need to let the paint cure. that means let it dry for 2 days or more.
when I painted my console, I built a curing booth out of scrap plexiglass and a torpedo heater to drop the humidity and heat up the parts to speed drying. this will help it look even better.

watch some spraypaint tutorials on youtube to get the feel for what you're doing. If you've never done it before, expect it to come out mediocre. practice makes perfect.

Xx360xX Sniper

Xx360xX Sniper

Reaction score
Sin$
Painting in general is all in the prep work. You MUST make sure the surface to be painted is cleaned and by cleaned I mean really cleaned. As in all contaminates removed, etc. So if you don't completely understand what im saying you touching the surface with your figures and then painting it contaiminates the surface. The oil from your fingers is now left where you touched.

Another thing you can do is scratch up the surface which will make the paint stick better with something like a brillow pad or light sand paper. Its important to remove all dust aswell.

Also a 3 stage painting isn't a bad idea with a primer, color coat and clear coat. I would recommend a clear coat no matter what because it protect the finish.

You may want to mask off areas you dont want the paint as it will make reassembly a pain in the ***. Screw hole threads can be compromised, etc.

Automotive paint is good stuff cause it is tough as nails, better than anything you can get at home depot but for this sort of job its not worth the effort unless your a painter.

Also alot of car painters use flex agent when painting sythetics to keep the paint from cracking when it is flexed.

2liftheavy

2liftheavy

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Duplicolor primer works fantastic. personally i always use dup primer, and either dup paint or krylon fusion, topped with dup clear. I never had an issue mixing these brands together

fathom7411

fathom7411

Hardened Veteran Frame In Gold Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
another option could be to use plastidip. if you have enough layers on and get tired of the color, you can peel it off or plastidip another color right on top of it.

BenJGrimm

BenJGrimm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
hello! i want to paint my slim white! but everytime ive tried on previous consoles or controllers they end up feeling weird and like paint is on it (lol) but yea i want to paint it white! then cut a plexi glass and install LEDs etc etc. so what kind of paint do you guys use :smile: and LEDs and etc can someone point me in the right direction? i saw the stickied tutorials but those are for the phat console! or does it not matter?
thanks!

Ive got a white slim shell, just missing the HDD cover. pm me if interested

Top Bottom
Login
Register