• Start date
  • Views 463
Innovative

Innovative

○ Innovation By Idea ○
Chatty Kathy Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey, everyone! I have an issue that I thought maybe some of you could help with. So, my MacBookPro is FileVault locked, but I didn't set up the MacBook it'self, as it is my step moms older new one. She didn't remember the FileVault key and doesn't have it stored anywhere so she could reach it. I have talked to apple about this. The only problem with the computer itself is that the MacBook password doesn't seem to work for some reason. We have tried changing it through Terminal, Recovery OS, with the iCloud account, and I even tried decrypting the HDD. We can't seem to get into the computer at all! Apple said there was nothing they could do. There is Really Important information stored on this computer. Do any of you know how we could possibly pull the data from the drive and store it somewhere while we restore the OS, and then possibly put it back on the computer. The reason the password can't be changed is because the iCloud account associated with the computer has been removed. The computer finds the FileVault key, it doesn't let us change the password. We spoke with Apple and they said we found a software bug. All we need is the information from the HDD.

If anyone could lend me a hand, that would be amazing!

Operating System
  1. Mac OS
Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
MotM Bright Idea 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey, everyone! I have an issue that I thought maybe some of you could help with. So, my MacBookPro is FileVault locked, but I didn't set up the MacBook it'self, as it is my step moms older new one. She didn't remember the FileVault key and doesn't have it stored anywhere so she could reach it. I have talked to apple about this. The only problem with the computer itself is that the MacBook password doesn't seem to work for some reason. We have tried changing it through Terminal, Recovery OS, with the iCloud account, and I even tried decrypting the HDD. We can't seem to get into the computer at all! Apple said there was nothing they could do. There is Really Important information stored on this computer. Do any of you know how we could possibly pull the data from the drive and store it somewhere while we restore the OS, and then possibly put it back on the computer. The reason the password can't be changed is because the iCloud account associated with the computer has been removed. The computer finds the FileVault key, it doesn't let us change the password. We spoke with Apple and they said we found a software bug. All we need is the information from the HDD.

If anyone could lend me a hand, that would be amazing!
I'm assuming by changing the password in terminal, you mean changing the password in single user mode when you boot the laptop. If you haven't actually tried that, I highly suggest you do so (sorry about the weird name for the guide). The next thing you can try is enabling the root user account and using it to login and turn off filevault for your other user account. Decryption will take quite a long time, there's nothing you can do about it. After it's done decrypting the hard drive, you can either clone it to an external drive and pull the user information you need off it, or connect another OS X based machine with firewire and boot your laptop as an external drive to pull the information off. Those are pretty much your only options besides wiping the entire drive, which doesn't save any of the information you need.

Innovative

Innovative

○ Innovation By Idea ○
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm assuming by changing the password in terminal, you mean changing the password in single user mode when you boot the laptop. If you haven't actually tried that, I highly suggest you do so (sorry about the weird name for the guide). The next thing you can try is enabling the root user account and using it to login and turn off filevault for your other user account. Decryption will take quite a long time, there's nothing you can do about it. After it's done decrypting the hard drive, you can either clone it to an external drive and pull the user information you need off it, or connect another OS X based machine with firewire and boot your laptop as an external drive to pull the information off. Those are pretty much your only options besides wiping the entire drive, which doesn't save any of the information you need.
We have tried booting into single user mode. You can't because the HDD is FileVault locked. So that seemed to be out of the picture. I am going to try using root user. I will get back to you once I find out whether it works or not. Thanks! 
Okay, so root user won't work because we don't know the current password for the computer and can't seem to change it. If we knew the current password, we wouldn't be having this issue. Thanks anyway!

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
MotM Bright Idea 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
We have tried booting into single user mode. You can't because the HDD is FileVault locked. So that seemed to be out of the picture. I am going to try using root user. I will get back to you once I find out whether it works or not. Thanks! 
Okay, so root user won't work because we don't know the current password for the computer and can't seem to change it. If we knew the current password, we wouldn't be having this issue. Thanks anyway!
Hmmmmm...well if you have another macbook laying around, you can try making an OS X bootable drive and run the commands through there instead of single user mode. It might give you a little more freedom since you're working off a bootable copy of OS X instead of the filevault locked drive.

Innovative

Innovative

○ Innovation By Idea ○
Reaction score
Sin$
Hmmmmm...well if you have another macbook laying around, you can try making an OS X bootable drive and run the commands through there instead of single user mode. It might give you a little more freedom since you're working off a bootable copy of OS X instead of the filevault locked drive.
Could you point me through that a bit. Maybe PM me. Thanks!

Top Bottom
Login
Register