How to use an External Hard Drive on your JTAG Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Modding Tutorials' started by Shorty, Sep 1, 2010 with 55 replies and 89,883 views.

?

Was this Tutorial helpful?

1. Yes

77.8%
  2. No

22.2%
  1. Shorty

Shorty Rowdy Gentleman

How to use an External Hard Drive with a JTAG Xbox 360

The purpose of this tutorial is to show you how to set up a regular External Hard Drive to work with your JTAG Xbox 360. This will help a ton when trying to play games using the .ISO’s, store and transfer large files, or if you just have a small HDD on your JTAG. Considering a regular 120gb HDD for Xbox 360 will cost around $100, and a 250gb External will only cost about $35, this will save you TONS of money.

What you will need:
    1. JTAG Xbox 360
    2. External Hard Drive

WINDOWS:

Note: You must be logged in as an Administrator to format the External Hard Drive

Step 1: Open Control Panel by clicking the Start button , and clicking Control Panel. clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

[​IMG]

Step 2: Next, click System and Security (or System and Maintenance)
    [​IMG]

Step 3: Under Administrative Tools, click “Create and format hard disk partitions”. The Disk Management window should open.
    [​IMG]

Step 4: Find your External Hard Drive. Right click it, and select “Format”. Say that you wish to format it as “FAT32”.
    [​IMG]

Once you finish this, your External Hard Drive is ready to be read by your JTAG. Just move the folders on to Storage Device and connect it to your JTAG!

MAC:

Step 1: Connect your External Hard Drive to your Mac

Step 2: Go to Spotlight Search and search for “Disk Utility”

[​IMG]

Step 3: Select your device. Choose “Partition”. Set Volume Scheme to “1 Partition”, and Format to “MS-DOS (FAT)”. Name it whatever you want it to be called, for example, I have named mine JTAG HDD. When done, press “Apply”

[​IMG]

Once you finish this, your External Hard Drive is ready to be read by your JTAG. Just move the folders on to Storage Device and connect it to your JTAG!

That’s about it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Thanks!

3 people like this.
  2. The Steve

The Steve Not a Pirate Retired

There is way too many of these.

3. Shorty

Shorty Rowdy Gentleman

I have never seen one.

4. iTRauma

iTRauma Enthusiast

Thanks for this ... Will any size/brand etc hdd work with a Jtag ?

5. Joshrpg

Joshrpg Qahnaarin Retired

Yes

6. iTRauma

iTRauma Enthusiast

you mean I could use a 500gb if I wanted ? ... and does it matter about the type of hdd it is?(usb etc?)

Sorry for noobish questions but I'm getting a jtag on Monday and all I want it for is to play downloaded .isos

7. Shorty

Shorty Rowdy Gentleman

Yes, a 500 GB will work fine. And as long as you can connect it to your console, it will work. So, yes, USB will work.

8. theone0522

theone0522 Enthusiast

hey so how would i go about adding xex menu 1.1 on the HDD without formatting the HDD to the 360? because my HDD gets a performace error if i format it :frown:. so if someone could help me get DLc on my jtag and stuff without formatting that would be BEAST

9. spaghettir

spaghettir Enthusiast

nice

10. Shorty

Shorty Rowdy Gentleman

Do you already have XeXMenu on your JTAG's normal hard drive? If so, you dont need it on the external. Just launch XeXMenu and then find your storage device. You can access all of your files that way.

11. theone0522

theone0522 Enthusiast

I only have 1 external HDD and it gets a performance error when I try to format it. I also have a 2gb flash drive.

Really all I want is to be able to use DLC, xbox live arcade games, emulators without formatting the external hdd. I don't have a MS harddrive for my jtag. So is there a way or not?

Also I would like to have the "content" folder on my external hdd so I can add profiles, xbl games, dlc, etc but I don't think I can without formatting it.

Sorry for doubble post, on iPod.

12. theone0522

theone0522 Enthusiast

bumb, i thought that freestyle dash could fix this. does anybody have a good TuT on how to install FSD 2.0 alpha? i know how to use dashlaunch and boot FSD on startu.

13. Shorty

Shorty Rowdy Gentleman

I am asking if you have a hard drive on your JTAG. Like the one that comes with it. If you have that, then you need to put XeXMenu on it. And you cant format the External HDD to your JTAG, as it will delete all of your files and show up as almost full on your computer and XeXMenu.

14. LePRiiCoNx

LePRiiCoNx Enthusiast

is it possible to use only an external hdd on a jtag because my jtag didnt come with a normal hdd. i got it formatted to fat32 and my xbox doesnt recognize it as a memory unit.

15. Shorty

Shorty Rowdy Gentleman

Your xbox wont. You need XeXMenu to be able to recognize the storage device. So you might want to get a 20gb HDD.

16. TRMx JTAG

TRMx JTAG Enthusiast

hmm

17. pwned fatboy

pwned fatboy Enthusiast

ahahhahaha

18. Hyyde

Hyyde Enthusiast

You can do this straight from you Jtag.
    just go to where you go view the stuff on your Memory and it should say Format Drive and it'll ask for your console ID or the other code i forget.
    but thats how you do that straight from Jtag.

19. Shorty

Shorty Rowdy Gentleman

I tried this once and it formatted it to my xbox. But the computer method always works.

20. Hyyde

Hyyde Enthusiast

exactly, thats the point.
    if you were to put a terabyte hard drive in your jtag you would want it to be formatted to be like a xbox HDD cause youd have to put gamer profiles on there, that is if you dont want the xbox HDD in the xbox