• Thread starter Raven
  • Start date
  • Views 8,497
Raven

Raven

Undercover Brother
Reaction score
Sin$
This is a tutorial teaching users how to jailbreak their 2nd Generation iPod Touch. By Jailbreaking your iPod, you allow programs/applications to edit/modify the GUI and settings of the iPod. This includes alternate themes, games, utilities, command lines, and etc.

REMINDER!: This will erase all applications, music, videos, and etc from your iPod. You can put them on afterword, but they will not be there when you finish Jailbreaking your iPod (If they are in your iTunes, you can have them synced back on).

Credit to the developers of QuickFreedom for making the program.

Requirements:

• iPod Touch 2nd Generation
  • Original 2.2.1 Firmware (I suggest making a back-up, or downloading it)
  • iPod USB Cable
  • Around 20-30 minutes (maybe more depending on your computer's specifications)
  • QuickFreedom - Download here: http://ipod2g.info/Download/click.php?id=1
  • LIBUSB (QuickFreedom WILL INSTALL THIS)

Step 1.
Open QuickFreedom.

Step1.png

Step 2.
Click the button that says "Jailbreak iPod."

Step2.png

Step 4.
Install LIBUSB, by clicking on the "INSTALL LIBUSB" button. QuickFreedom will tell you if you already have LIBUSB installed.

Step4.png

Step 5.
Once LIBUSB is installed, and QuickFreedom has found your Original 2.2.1 Firmware, click the next button.

Step5real.png

Step 6.
If you want to change your boot/recovery logos, then click the "Change..." button. Make sure to click "Install Installer" if you want to have Installer on your iPod for Apps, Themes, and etc.

Step5.png

Step 7.
I chose the logo above (I didn't choose a recovery, but you're more than welcome to). Next, click the "Create Firmware" button.

Step6.png

Step 8.
This seemed to be one of the longer steps of the jailbreaking. Your computer will take 5-10 (probably longer) minutes to create the firmware.

Step7-1.png

Step8.png

Step 9.
After it finishes, a message will appear, and the Custom Firmware will be placed on your desktop.

Step9.png

(The Custom Firmware on my desktop)

Step10.png

Step 10.
Now, press next in QuickFreedom, and you will see a new screen. Click on the button that says DFU Instructions.

Step11.png

Step 11.
A new window will pop up and give you instructions to:

Unplug your iPod and turn it off, by holding down the power button (the button on the top left of the iPod):

Step12.png

Step 12.
The image will change and you will have to hold Home and Power together for 10 seconds.

Step13.png

Step 13.
Then, release POWER and CONTINUE HOLDING HOME for 30 seconds (the whole 30 seconds is not necessary, but it's good just in case).

Step14.png

Step 14.
Now, your iPod Touch should be in DFU/Recovery mode. iTunes will pop up and tell you that the iPod is in recovery mode, and your iPod's settings will look a tad weird, but that is supposed to happen.

Go back into QuickFreedom, and click the button that says "Pre-Jailbreak."

Step15.png

Step 15.
QuickFreedom will complete the pre-jailbreak and your iPod screen should turn white.
Next, open iTunes and go to your iPod Touch's page. You need to HOLD SHIFT AND CLICK button that says "Restore."

Step16.png

Step 16.
Another window will open and you will need to choose your Custom Firmware and click "Open."

Step17.png

Step 17.
Wait until the iPod finishes restoring with the new custom firmware. Then, you will be asked to set up the iPod in iTunes.

MAKE SURE: Set up the iPod as a NEW iPod. You already have all of your information erased, so it won't change anything.

(Unfortunately I don't have pictures for this last step)

---

Now you are done! Your iPod is Jailbroken and you will have the Installer (if you chose to have it installed in Step 6.

Pictures of my iPod after Jailbreaking:

iPod001.png

iPod002.png

If you need to ask any questions, please post them here, and I or another member will gladly try to help you out!

N

nickcas

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Re: How to do an Untethered Jailbreak for an iPod Touch 2nd Generation [With Pictures

Nice tut. This is good if you've never done the tethered jailbreak.

Nothinbeter2do

Nothinbeter2do

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
Re: How to do an Untethered Jailbreak for an iPod Touch 2nd Generation [With Pictures

Nice tutorial. But at the on part that says "HOLD **** AND CLICK", you misspelled "shift".

Raven

Raven

Undercover Brother
Reaction score
Sin$

Nothinbeter2do said:
Nice tutorial. But at the on part that says "HOLD **** AND CLICK", you misspelled "shift".

That has been fixed.
Thank you for the correction!

R

rushingfire

Reaction score
Sin$

I have all the right requirements, but when I try to create firmware it says "Error creating firmware!"

Raven

Raven

Undercover Brother
Reaction score
Sin$

rushingfire said:
I have all the right requirements, but when I try to create firmware it says "Error creating firmware!"

Did you install LIBUSB?

R

rushingfire

Reaction score
Sin$

Yea, now i got the custom firmware but now i put my itouch into DFU mode because it wont turn on and its just black screen and when i click pre jailbreak nothing happens it just says to connect my ipod into dfu mode and my itunes settings are all messed up but i know thats supposed to happen

Raven

Raven

Undercover Brother
Reaction score
Sin$

rushingfire said:
Yea, now i got the custom firmware but now i put my itouch into DFU mode because it wont turn on and its just black screen and when i click pre jailbreak nothing happens it just says to connect my ipod into dfu mode and my itunes settings are all messed up but i know thats supposed to happen

Replied to in PM.

Destiny

Destiny

#ZxathCheated #NeverForget
Retired
Diamonds Are Forever Beginning of An Odyssey Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
so has anyone done this and can confirm it works?

Raven

Raven

Undercover Brother
Reaction score
Sin$
rushingfire][QUOTE=Raven][QUOTE=rushingfire][QUOTE=Raven][QUOTE=rushingfire][QUOTE=Raven][QUOTE=rushingfire said:
ok so i have it in dfu mode but in quickfreedom on the bottom left it says my ipod isnt connected but i have it connected. it wont let me pre jailbreak. it says i need to have in dfu. i know i have it in dfu/recovery mode cause on itunes it popped up saying it is and my screen is just black. i think the reason is because it says my ipod isnt connected in quickfreedom any help is appreciated, thanks. if u have IM it'll be easier my aim is nyrang3rs94

You don't have it in DFU mode. The scren should be white. Please try to complete the DFU instructions again and reply back.

Thanks,
Chris[/QUOTE]

Ok now on quickfreedom it says im connected in recovery mode. i click pre jailbreak nothin happens just says to put into dfu mode.[/QUOTE]

You need to make sure that your Iapod is in DFU mode. Is your screen white?[/QUOTE]

My ipod shows the itunes icon and then a usb cord with an arrows pointing from the usb cord into the itunes icon.[/QUOTE]

You're not on the right screen, then. Please try to redo the DFU cycle. Your iPod should chime twice during the process.[/QUOTE]

It worked, thank you so much for your time. I appreciate this very much, thanks :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

This should be sufficient proof that the tutorial does work.

J

joshXxXpwns

Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks this works well. this was my first attempt to jailbreak an ipod touch and it was very easy to follwo ur tut. Thx man

Destiny

Destiny

#ZxathCheated #NeverForget
Retired
Diamonds Are Forever Beginning of An Odyssey Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
alrighty sweet. ima try this later today

N

nickcas

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
ExZoTiC said:
alrighty sweet. ima try this later today

Not to take any credit away from this tut or program, but the Dev team released Quickpwn for the iPod Touch. You just run the app, and it jailbreaks the firmware in your iPod, so you don't have to download any firmware or restore.

J

jockovonred

Reaction score
Sin$
1st, awesome tut. very detailed. thank you.
2nd, cydia is installed during the jailbreak?
3rd, to remove and use another like quickpwn, a simple restore of the ipod?

thanks.

jvr

N

nickcas

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
jockovonred said:
1st, awesome tut. very detailed. thank you.
2nd, cydia is installed during the jailbreak?
3rd, to remove and use another like quickpwn, a simple restore of the ipod?

thanks.

jvr

2.) Cydia is installed with this.
3.) You can run Quickpwn without restoring, and it will make the changes needed to this version of the jailbreak. The only benefit of restoring is that you will be able to use all of your memory with a fresh restore, because this jailbreak resizes your root partition, so you lose some space.

I'd like to add that the new Quickpwn/Redsn0w supports LogoMe, so you can change your bootlogo from your iPod. Venemous, don't delete this one, I already had a topic made when you told me to make a tut, lol. I didn't think it needed pics because you're just double clicking an exe, but I added a video I found.

Great tut though, it just got outdated when the Dev Team released their offical tool.

Raven

Raven

Undercover Brother
Reaction score
Sin$
nickcas said:
2.) Cydia is installed with this.
3.) You can run Quickpwn without restoring, and it will make the changes needed to this version of the jailbreak. The only benefit of restoring is that you will be able to use all of your memory with a fresh restore, because this jailbreak resizes your root partition, so you lose some space.

I'd like to add that the new Quickpwn/Redsn0w supports LogoMe, so you can change your bootlogo from your iPod. Venemous, don't delete this one, I already had a topic made when you told me to make a tut, lol. I didn't think it needed pics because you're just double clicking an exe, but I added a video I found.

Great tut though, it just got outdated when the Dev Team released their offical tool.

Your other post was deleted because it took away the focus of my tutorial, which is to do the untethered jailbreak, via QuickFreedom.

I appreciate your comment, but I still think this is an east way to complete the jailbreak, wether or not qwkpwn is more new.

X

xICKx ALLST6R66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have downloaded the original firmware and everything that came with the download and put it in a folder on my desktop. When I try to browse to select the firmware all the files are empty and I can't find the firmware....
HELP?

Raven

Raven

Undercover Brother
Reaction score
Sin$
xICKx ALLST6R66 said:
I have downloaded the original firmware and everything that came with the download and put it in a folder on my desktop. When I try to browse to select the firmware all the files are empty and I can't find the firmware....
HELP?

Are you trying to restore the iPod Touch to it's original firmware, or the custom firmware?

I don't see why you would want to restore the original, but, make sure that it's a firmware file, and that it is not compressed.

X

xICKx ALLST6R66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Raven said:
Are you trying to restore the iPod Touch to it's original firmware, or the custom firmware?

I don't see why you would want to restore the original, but, make sure that it's a firmware file, and that it is not compressed.

I am just following this tut. I downloaded the firmware on quickfreedom but it can't find it. I just extracted all the files from the winrar into a file on my desktop. It won't pick up the firmware and I can't browse it because all it shows is the folders without the files.....
Says at the bottom of quickfreedom as well that my ipod isnt connected when it is

N

nickcas

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
xICKx ALLST6R66 said:
I am just following this tut. I downloaded the firmware on quickfreedom but it can't find it. I just extracted all the files from the winrar into a file on my desktop. It won't pick up the firmware and I can't browse it because all it shows is the folders without the files.....
Says at the bottom of quickfreedom as well that my ipod isnt connected when it is

There is now an official tool out that does all the jailbreaking for you. All you have to do is double click the exe. You don't need any other software/firmware/libusb. If you can't get this to work try it.

Top Bottom
Login
Register