How to Tell what Motherboard your Xbox has!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Modding & Tutorials' started by Mint, Jan 23, 2010 with 81 replies and 80,648 views.

1. Mint

Mint Contributor

Xbox Motherboard Tutorial

Please post to keep the thread alive! :smile:
    Hi guys, this is my first tutorial and 3rd post! I hope this tutorial helps alot of future JTAG'ers as this is one of the key things you need to know before you JTAG your xbox 360.

Xenon

The first motherboard and probably the best for JTAG'ing online is the XENON motherboard. It was released with the xbox in November 2005, it does not have a HDMI port so you cannot play in HD. The Xenon motherboard was a standard stock motherboard from November 2005 to July 2007.

[​IMG]
    Zephyr

Zephyr is the second motherboard bought in to all newly made consoles after July 2007. Although microsoft was aware of the Red ring of death, they released this without fixing it, so it is possible to get the RROD with your zephyr motherboard.

[​IMG]
    Falcon

The Falcon motherboard for 360 was released just one month after the Zephyr, in September of 2007, because of the zephyr's Red ring of death problem, the Falcon's power supply was slightly reduced. The slightly reduced power supply ended up not being the fix for the RROD problem.

[​IMG]

Opus

The Opus motherboard for the xbox 360 was released in June of 2008. The opus was a modified version of the Falcon and was released for the returned Xenon consoles which has Red ring of death hardware issue. Which they replaced the motherboard to an Opus. The Opus did not come with HDMI and was only used for Xenon repairs. Because of Microsoft replacing the motherboards instead of replacing the consoles, this saved Microsoft Millions.

[​IMG]

Jasper

Jasper was released in September of 2008 and was the first hit on the head for the RROD hardware issue. Microsoft replaced the cooler to a smaller version and having a more reliable GPU because of the smaller cooler the Jasper fitted consoles were alot quieter than the rest of the motherboards.

[​IMG]
    ValHalla
    All information of previous motherboards has come from my own knowledge or other sources, Valhalla is the newest motherboard although the specifications are unknown (to me).

Which motherboard do you have without opening the console?
    The easiest way to find which motherboard is to look at your xbox 360's power connector on the back of your 360.
    [​IMG]

Credits
    90% Me for Writing
    10% 360Drives for Pictures

Please hit me up with a "Thanks" if i helped out :smile:

Here's a video I Made to help.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXB48mnuDcw[/ame]

Copyright 2010

_FBi, Shrikster, GModz Tuts and 34 others like this.
  2. xbh1h2

xbh1h2 Getting There

Your wrong about the Xenon, Just because it doesn't have HDMI doesn't mean it can't play in HD. They're called component cables.

HazardousBanana likes this.
  3. vato

vato Enthusiast

very good informative post

:thumbup:

4. Mint

Mint Contributor

Hmmm, thanks for the post, I'll change that.

Thank you :smile:

5. Matermine

Matermine Contributor

Great tut! Been looking around for this. Thanks

6. El Xando

El Xando Enthusiast

So is it possible for Jasper models to get RROD at all? As my current 360 is less than 1 year old, but I'm thinking of modifying it to LT, but then if it red rings I'd be screwed.

7. Matermine

Matermine Contributor

I'd be more worried about getting banned than getting RROD with Jasper. Just remove your warranty sticker with a hair dryer. Watch a video on youtube. Very simple.

8. El Xando

El Xando Enthusiast

Yeah I did that with my old 360 but this one has the newer warranty sticker. The square white one. And LT atm seems to be completely invulnerable to bans.

9. Matermine

Matermine Contributor

Square white one is the easiest to take off. Depending on the place ment, you can take of the back of the case, then unclip the front and the sticker should be stuck to one side and just hair dryer it off.

This should help [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzvJqyxvj_4&feature=fvw]YouTube - [How to] Remove Xbox 360 Warrenty sticker[/ame]

10. Mint

Mint Contributor

Has a smaller chance than the pre-models.

11. zero0356

zero0356 Enthusiast

So you Weren't clear About which are Jtagg-able. I don't know that much about Jtags, but if I Have a Zephyr Can I Jtag my Console?

12. Mint

Mint Contributor

All are JTAG'able, but you will need your dashboard to be 7371 or lower. ( I think it's 7371 or lower.)

Yes it is.

bump

13. stizove

stizove Newbie

Nice post

14. Mint

Mint Contributor

Thank you.

15. EclipseModz

EclipseModz Retired Retired

No 360 is safe from RROD

16. David7992

David7992 Getting There

Oooo that means i got a Xenon and a Jasper :biggrin:

1 person likes this.
  17. Mint

Mint Contributor

I have 2 xenon's :smile:

18. iGotTheSmores

iGotTheSmores Enthusiast

Just a suggestion, as your referring to the Lower watts of the power supply as an attempted fixing of the RROD. That would be incorrect it would be The new heatsink design and the GPU and CPU chips shrinking from 90/90 (Xenon) and down. The lower wattage of the Power Supply was due to minor changes which caused it to have to draw less power. A few other re-wordings would make this perfect.

Beside my nit-picking Nice Tut. :thumbup:

19. Mint

Mint Contributor

I don't think i need to go into that much detail but thanks.

20. Mint

Mint Contributor

bump.