What's new

Tutorial How to mod Minecraft (for dummies)

• Thread starter Xietyz
  • Start date
  • Views 98,682
Status
Not open for further replies.
Xietyz

GinkoGaKuai

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Before I start typing up this tutorial I'm going to start off by letting you people know that I'm making this tutorial for people that really don't understand computers and are completely clueless as to what they should do, so I'm going to make this tutorial extremely simple; complete with pictures.
STEP 0:
In this tutorial make sure to click on 'Open Spoiler' as this is where the pictures will be at.
It will also help if you move everything you download into one folder; it would be best to put it in a folder on your desktop or something.

STEP 1:
Download the following files listed below - you're going to need these to install the mods correctly! (winrar & forge/mod loader)

WINRAR DOWNLOAD HERE (Recommended)

FORGE LOADER HERE (Recommended)
OR
[Click here to view this link] (still requires WinRAR and is not as good as Forge)

After opening the file you downloaded your computer should run you through on what to do next - just keep clicking next.

STEP 1.5:
You will also need to have a mod to install; I'll be using the Too Many Items mod for this.

Download link is here Just in case you want to use the same mod I do.

STEP 2:
Now to get to where your Minecraft is installed.
v8as6.jpg

1. Click on the start orb on the bottom right of your screen.
2. In the little text box you see on the bottom left of the window that popped up type in "%appdata%" (without the quotation marks).
3. Click on the folder "Roaming" - it doesn't matter which Roaming folder you click on.

hcFZB.png

Open the .minecraft folder.

4czJD.png

Open the 'bin' folder.
Congrats, You've reached the .minecraft folder!
Now it's time to actually mod the game.

STEP 3:
kAm9T.png

1. Right click on the 'minecraft' or 'minecraft.jar' file.
2. Open with WinRAR archiver.

Modding the file:

4ILZb.png

After doing that open up the the mod you downloaded in Step 1 and the 'ModLoader'.

QIbu1.jpg

B5lGm.jpg

After you've done that you can close all the files down and you're finished! You've successfully modded your Minecraft!

UPzGC.gif
Well, lowpro. I have completed your challenge. IN YO' FACE!

Last edited:
lowpro

lowpro

Professional Abecedarian
Programmer Mythical Veteran Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
@GinkoGaKuai Lol Nice. I am going to point my friends here when they ask. And I prefer forge to modloader because it supports more mods... you might want to change that (the difficulty is relatively the same). Great work though. If anybody doesn't get this then they don't deserve to own a computer lol.

Xietyz

GinkoGaKuai

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
@GinkoGaKuai Lol Nice. I am going to point my friends here when they ask. And I prefer forge to modloader because it supports more mods... you might want to change that (the difficulty is relatively the same). Great work though. If anybody doesn't get this then they don't deserve to own a computer lol.
I've never really heard of Forge. Is it new or something? I haven't been played Minecraft for tiiime - let alone mod it.

lowpro

lowpro

Professional Abecedarian
Programmer Mythical Veteran Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
I've never really heard of Forge. Is it new or something? I haven't been played Minecraft for tiiime - let alone mod it.
It is like modloader except it is compatible with almost every mod (modloader is more limited). Forge is used to mod developers don't have as hard of a time defining new items/blocks, so it is more widely used. The link to the latest download is on minecraftforge.net under the releases section (http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php?board=3.0). I highly suggest you check it out. It is used for most mods now. Also note that every mod that works with modloader also works with forge.

C

Chippstr

Reaction score
Sin$
I followed all the steps you listed above, deleted the Meta Folder, put forge loader and the too many items mod in but when i launch the game it FML gets to 95% and a fatal error occurs
Minecraft cannot launch in its current configuration.
consult the file \ForgeModLoader-client-0.log
any suggestions?

Clowns

FYI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I followed all the steps you listed above, deleted the Meta Folder, put forge loader and the too many items mod in but when i launch the game it FML gets to 95% and a fatal error occurs
any suggestions?
copy your worlds somewhere else, then completely delete your bin folder, then go to minecraft and force update it then redo the steps... should fix it.

Xietyz

Xietyz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
any suggestions?
Do what FYI suggested and use Mod Loader instead of Forge.

M27machinam

M27machinam

Reaction score
Sin$
I did everything you said and whenever i play minecraft i just get a black screen

Clowns

FYI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I did everything you said and whenever i play minecraft i just get a black screen
if its a black screen it could be your minecraft.jar file, google minecraft,jar and the version that you want / are using.

M27machinam

M27machinam

Reaction score
Sin$
well i dont have the black screen anymore but how do i activate teh mod, i have the balkons weapons mod for 1.4.7 and i did everything exactly, the only part i was confused on was in the file i had files with those yellow folders and i didnt know to move those either

Clowns

FYI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
well i dont have the black screen anymore but how do i activate teh mod, i have the balkons weapons mod for 1.4.7 and i did everything exactly, the only part i was confused on was in the file i had files with those yellow folders and i didnt know to move those either
im not familiar with the mod but ill look it up for you pal,

Edit : Im not sure if you will find this help full but i looked it up and found this http://www.skydaz.com/balkons-weapon-mod-installer-for-minecraft-1-4-7/

Last edited:
NinjaInTheClouds

NinjaInTheClouds

Reaction score
Sin$
So, i did this and when i copied everything over into the Minecraft file, none of what i copied showed up in the file. Is that supposed to happen? If not, what did i do wrong?

F

fireclaw

Reaction score
Sin$
ok so i did everything and the thing is ... i cant use any of the mods for some reason

such as pixelmon 2.2.1

GoodAlmond

GoodAlmond

Reaction score
Sin$
I did everything you said, yet when I try to open the minecraft.jar file, I click Open With, and WinRAR Archiver isn't there. Please help, I would really enjoy mods like Opti-Fine and Smart Moving.

MrHoezey

MrHoezey

☆ℳinecraft мøḓẕ☆
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I did everything you said, yet when I try to open the minecraft.jar file, I click Open With, and WinRAR Archiver isn't there. Please help, I would really enjoy mods like Opti-Fine and Smart Moving.

I'm guessing you are talking about 1.6.x
Since it's a new launcher, adding mods have been different. If you want to install mods such as Build Craft, or Smart Moving, I'm guessing you will have to install Forge first. To install forge to 1.6.x, look at this video.

Now to install Optifine or other mods that don't require Forge, they should have instructions. I got it from the MC forum and it says:
SP614x said:
A. Easy
- Use the official launcher to download and start once Minecraft 1.6.2.
- Use the Forge installer to install Forge
- Use the official launcher to start once Minecraft with the Forge profile.
- Start Magic Launcher
- Click "Setup"
- Select Environment "Forge9.10.X.Y"
- Click "Add" -> select the OptiFine ZIP file
- Click "Advanced"
- In the field "Parameters" add "-Dfml.ignorePatchDiscrepancies=true"
- Click "OK"
- Login and play
B. Not so easy

- Use the official launcher to download and start once Minecraft 1.6.2.
- Go to the minecraft base folder (the official launchers shows it when you click "Edit Profile" as "Game Directory")
- Go in subfolder "Versions"
- Rename the folder "1.6.2" to "1.6.2_OptiFine"
- Go in the subfolder "1.6.2_OptiFine"
- Rename "1.6.2.jar" to "1.6.2_OptiFine.jar"
- Rename "1.6.2.json" to "1.6.2_OptiFine.json"
- Open the file "1.6.2_OptiFine.json" with a text editor and replace "id":"1.6.2" with"id":"1.6.2_OptiFine" and save the file
- Copy the files from the OptiFine ZIP file in "1.6.2_OptiFine.jar" as usual (you can use the 1.5.2 instructions for this) and remove the META-INF folder from "1.6.2_OptiFine.jar".
- Start the official launcher
- Click "Edit Profile"
- Select "Use version:" -> "release 1.6.2_OptiFine"
- Click "Save Profile"
- Click "Play" or "Login" to start the game. If only "Play Offline" is available, then log out and log in again to fix it.

K

kopstandsnip3r

Reaction score
Sin$
i done everything until the end when you have to drag all the files could someone help

T

Toasty22

Reaction score
Sin$
Why won't the mods work for me I did everything the tutorial said but the mod won't work. Help Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register