What's new

Tutorial How to install OS X Yosemite right now (safely)

• Thread starter cikcaz
  • Start date
  • Views 4,596
cikcaz

cikcaz

Marketing
Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
What you’ll need:
OS X Yosemite Developer Preview - Developers can download their copy through the Dev Center. If you’re not a developer you can wait for Apple to eventually send out invites through the OS X Beta Program. OR better yet, download it right here right now.
Storage space - You will need at least 20 GB to install Yosemite on your machine.

Step 1 - Partition your HD
Because this is a beta build there are bound to be some issues. To be safe create a new partition on your HD just for Yosemite.

i8JCCQz.jpg

1. Open Disk Utility
2. Select the first hierarchy. (Will have the name of your HD as well as the size etc.)
3. Navigate to the Partition tab.
4. Select the “+” button underneath where the volumes are.
5. Now create a name such as, “Yosemite Tester” and select the size of the partition and click, "Apply"

Step 2 - Install OS X Yosemite to your Yosemite partition
Just run through the setup until you reach the screen where it asks you where you would like to install Yosemite. It may not show your Yosemite partition right away so you will need to click the, “more disks” button.

psRVyj3.jpg

Step 3 - Switching back to Mavericks
When you become tired of the bugs and broken features you will wish to return to the safe zone of OS X Mavericks.

EejQ7uX.jpg

1. Open System Preferences
2. Click, “Startup Disk”
3. Select your original OS X 10.9 partition.
4. Click Restart and you will restart into Mavericks.

Hope this helps you install Apple’s OS X Yosemite Developer Preview. Please like/comment if it did. If you are experiencing trouble I am available for troubleshooting just simply leave a reply below or message me directly.

Credit: http://www.cultofmac.com/282347/install-yosemite-beta-without-ruining-main-machine/

Operating System
  1. Mac OS
Koranny

Koranny

94 Honda Civic Forza Horizon 2 FTW
Reaction score
Sin$
lol this is extra I dowloaded it from a site and installed it like a normal OS .

DArK x1337HaX

DArK x1337HaX

4D 79 20 4E 61 6D 65 20 49 73 20 44 61 6E
Stickied Programmer Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I want to put this on my hackintosh, but I can't because of drivers and no multibeast for Yosemite :frown:

MAFINS

MAFINS

Radiated snowboarding and EDM
Reaction score
Sin$
They done f*cked up with the Dock tho.

cikcaz

cikcaz

Marketing
Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
This method is for those who want to get the full experience of Yosemite, but play it safe by partitioning your HD so you can return to the clear shores of Mavericks. When you installed it like a normal OS you are now only able to go back to Mavericks if you used Time Machine before installing Yosemite. Otherwise you will have to find a safe route to downgrade when the bugs and flaws of the Yosemite Beta become to much. This way simply allows you to have the best of both worlds.

Koranny

Koranny

Reaction score
Sin$
This method is for those who want to get the full experience of Yosemite, but play it safe by partitioning your HD so you can return to the clear shores of Mavericks. When you installed it like a normal OS you are now only able to go back to Mavericks if you used Time Machine before installing Yosemite. Otherwise you will have to find a safe route to downgrade when the bugs and flaws of the Yosemite Beta become to much. This way simply allows you to have the best of both worlds.
Uhh it's only smart you use Time Machine. Also I've been using it since and had no problem with it and I'm on a late 2008 Mac Book air and it runs flawless.

cikcaz

cikcaz

Marketing
Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
Uhh it's only smart you use Time Machine. Also I've been using it since and had no problem with it and I'm on a late 2008 Mac Book air and it runs flawless.
I'm trying to say this method allows you to dual boot Mavericks and Yosemite because of Yosemite being a beta it may experience bugs. This is just a safe way to go about it. I'm glad to hear you aren't having any problems. Personally I am really enjoying Yosemite :smile:

Koranny

Koranny

Reaction score
Sin$
I'm trying to say this method allows you to dual boot Mavericks and Yosemite because of Yosemite being a beta it may experience bugs. This is just a safe way to go about it. I'm glad to hear you aren't having any problems. Personally I am really enjoying Yosemite :smile:
True true

iRanbirHD

iRanbirHD

Gaming PC?!
Programmer Frame In Gold Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I want to put this on my hackintosh, but I can't because of drivers and no multibeast for Yosemite :frown:
what is your spec? I have installed Yosemite on my hackintosh, works great, no lag or anything. You do not need multibeast. Only thing you will need is FakeSMC.kext and some knowledge.

Koranny

Koranny

Reaction score
Sin$
why don't you take the kext for what every you need and store it into the folder using kext wizard for any question about Niresh Mackintosh build please pm or contact me on Niresh official site !

DArK x1337HaX

DArK x1337HaX

4D 79 20 4E 61 6D 65 20 49 73 20 44 61 6E
Stickied Programmer Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
why don't you take the kext for what every you need and store it into the folder using kext wizard for any question about Niresh Mackintosh build please pm or contact me on Niresh official site !
I know, but I don't feel like changing the beta OS. I'm just going to wait. Thanks though :smile:

Top Bottom
Login
Register