What's new

Tutorial How to Install CFW 4.01 m33, Upgrade it to 4.01 m33-2, and add the 1.50 Kernel Addon!

• Thread starter SiK GambleR
  • Start date
  • Views 28,260
SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
How to Install CFW 4.01 m33, Upgrade it to 4.01 m33-2, and add the 1.50 Kernel Addon (fat PSP only!)
--By: SiK GambleR

In this tutorial we will be installing the 4.01 m33 firmware and addons. It is fairly simple if you have been on the modding scene, if not.. I would recommend doing a little more research and not using this tutorial as your first and only source of info.

Things Needed:
-A PSP, it can be Fat or Slim. Part 3 of this tutorial (The 1.50 kernel Addon will NOT work on a slim PSP!)
-The PSP that you have must be modded to follow thsi tutorial. For the Fat PSP please have 3.52 m33-4 at a minimum and for the Slim PSP please have 3.60 m33 at a minimum.
-The proper USB cable to link your PSP to your PC.
-Make sure your battery is fully charged (preferably just have it plugged in as you do this) so that there is no issues with power consumption.
-This pack that I have compiled to make your lives easier: RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Pre-Tutorial Notes:
-This tutorial is broken up into THREE (3) Parts.
-If your PSP gets bricked it is not my fault, I explained everything in the most detailed and easy to follow way possible.
-If you ask me for help I will litteraly be reading this tutorial to help you. So if I fix it, you are dumb.
-The third part of this tutorial is for Fat PSPs ONLY!

Now Let's Get Started!!
Part 1: Installing CFW 4.01 m33

Step 1 - Connect your PSP to your computer using the USB cable.

Step 2 - In the download I provided double-click the Part 1 Icon.

Step 3 - There is a Folder called UPDATE in there. Copy it to ms0:/PSP/GAME/.

Step 4 - Once the UPDATE folder is in ms0:/PSP/GAME/ unplug your PSP from the computer.

Step 5 - Exit USB Mode and go to your XMB.

Step 6 - In the XMB Navigate to GAME and then to Memory Stick

Step 7 - Click and Run the 4.01 m33 Update.
Step 7a - After you run the 4.01 m33 Update, the screen turns black. Follow the on screen instructions, these instructions will take you to the Official Sony Update screen. DO NOT PANIC! That is normal, just continue with following the on screen instructions.
Step 7b - While the Sony Updater runs do not turn off the PSP or disturb the update. Once the update is done you will be told to hit X to restart your PSP .. Do so.

Congratulations you now has CFW 4.01 m33 installed on your PSP!

Part 2: Installing the CFW 4.01 m33-2 Update
Part 2 Notes: You CANNOT do this without sucessfully completing Part 1 of my tutorial.

Step 1 - Using your USB cable connect your PSP to your computer.

Step 2 - On your computer navigate to ms0:/PSP/GAME/ and delete that UPDATE folder you put in there during Part 1.

Step 3 - In my provided download double-click the Part 2 Icon.

Step 4 - Yet again, there is an UPDATE Folder, copy this UPDATE folder to ms0:/PSP/GAME/.

Step 5 - Once the update folder is in ms0:/PSP/GAME/ unplug your PSP from your comptuer.

Step 6 - Exit USB mode and get to your XMB.

Step 7 - From the XMB navigate to GAME then to Memory Stick.

Step 8 - Click and Run the 4.01 M33-2 update. The on screen instructions are all you need to follow.
Step 8a - Once the installation is complete, you will be returned to the XMB.

Congratulations you are now running CFW 4.01 M33-2 on your PSP.

Part 3: Installing the 1.50 Kernel Addon (FAT PSPs ONLY!)
Part 3 Notes:
-This part of the tutorial is for FAT PSPs ONLY!
-Parts 1 and 2 of my tutorial must be completed for this.
-This part of the tutorial is 100% optional. You may need it to run some emulators and other apps.

Step 1 - Connect your PSP to your computer via USB Cable

Step 2 - Double-Click the Part 3 Icon in my supplied download.

Step 3 - Copy the 150.PBP file from the Part 3 folder on your computer and paste it in the root directory of your PSP memory stick.

Step 4 - Once that is in the root directory of your PSP memory stick, copy the GAME4XX folder from the Part 3 Folder on your computer to ms0:/PSP/.

Step 5 - Unplug your PSP from your computer and Exit USB mode.

Step 6 - Get to your XMB and navigate to GAME then click on Memory Stick.

Step 7 - Click and run the 1.50 Kernel Addon program that should be there. Just follow the on screen instructions for full installation.
Step 7a - After the installation is successful, you will be taken back to the XMB.
Step 7b - If you ever install homebrews, emulators, etc that use the 1.50 Kernel Addon

CONGRATULATIONS!! Your PSP now has the Newest Custom Firmware (CFW) and if you are a Fat PSP Owner you have the 1.50 Kernel Addon being ran too!! Have fun with your new CFW 4.01 m33-2 + 1.50 Kernel addon PSP!

Gorgatron

Gorgatron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
lol I already had 4.01 M33-2 and the kernal but thx for making it clear ahaha. still some emulators i cant get to work but oh well...

gamebeatter

gamebeatter

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
do you have the 1.5 addon and am not updatein anytime soon until there is something amazing in sony firmware that custom will bring over

SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
gamebeatter said:
do you have the 1.5 addon and am not updatein anytime soon until there is something amazing in sony firmware that custom will bring over

wait your on 3.90 still? cause some of the newer games (iso's etc) won't run on the older CFW .. games that are coming out a little later.

capo said:
Good Job Gamby! I see you got into the PSP Scene very quickly.
ty

and if you are having trouble with some emulators, put the emulator folder and the emulator% folder both in the game150. And most will only work if you have the 1.50 kernel addon.

(Corndog)

(Corndog)

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks, ill use this tutorial as soon as i make my pandora battery for my other psp

H

happynow

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
2iw9krk.png

gamebeatter

gamebeatter

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
gamby do you know the video's folder in the ISO folder on the memory stick does

SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes, the videos folder inside the ISO folder is for game related videos. Like when you are on the memory stick hovering over the game and it plays a sequence.. sometimes those are actual videos or video files that load alongside the ISO.

Just do not delete it because it is a very very small filesize and won't take up much space, and you'd rather be safe and keep it than sorry and delete it. ...you know?

gamebeatter

gamebeatter

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
yea thanks ive wanted to know what that was or if it was just like a folder where you can put un converted videos and run them.

SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, Put all your videos in the other videos folder in the ms0:/PSP folder .. (I don't have my psp on me but I think that's where the videos folder is)

P

pickupsticks

Reaction score
Sin$
file is corrupted

the 1st step file is corrupted, i dowloaded it 3 times already.. and when i put it on my PSP and check it in my game folder "corrupted file"

SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
you HAVE TO have a custom firmware to run that file. 3.52 m33-4 or 3.60 m33 or better.

P

pickupsticks

Reaction score
Sin$
Re: How to Install CFW 4.01 m33, Upgrade it to 4.01 m33-2, and add the 1.50 Kernel Ad

i have a 3.90 m33-2... when i downloaded ur link.. its juts a corrupted file in my PSP:confused:neaky2:

do i need a magic memory stick and pandoras battery to install this?

SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Re: How to Install CFW 4.01 m33, Upgrade it to 4.01 m33-2, and add the 1.50 Kernel Ad

no. This tutorial works fine from 3.90 ... I had done it from 3.90

You have to double click the part 1 file, it's an image.. but it's really a folder, everything you need is IN there.

Top Bottom
Login
Register