How to Flash any Xbox 360 Drive with a Laptop

Discussion in 'Firmware Modding Tutorials' started by IDONTuseGEICO, Oct 30, 2009 with 449 replies and 466,337 views.

1. IDONTuseGEICO

IDONTuseGEICO Dr. Richtofen is my Homeboy

How to Flash any Xbox 360 Drive with a Laptop
    by ID0NTuseGEICO

*Confirmed to work with All Drives.*

You will need to buy an PCMIA VIA card with VIA VT6421 Chipset to do this. ​

I recommend buying this one: China wholesale product -china wholesale products, since it is cheap (only $9.81 +tax/shipping :thumbup:) *Make sure you have an PCMIA slot, not a express card slot before buying this*

Here are the drivers you will need to install the VIA Card: ​
    Code (Text):
    http://rapidshare.com/files/301161439/via_raid_v530c.zip

I do not recommend installing the files on the disc included, so install the drivers i have posted.

Now you will need to install Port I/O:

Port I/O Files:
    Code (Text):
    http://rapidshare.com/files/287138939/manual_install.rar

For Vista: [se7en=xbox-360-tutorials/116632-install-portio32-vista.html]How to install Port I/O in Vista[/se7en]

For Windows 7: [se7en=xbox-360-tutorials/148703-install-port-o-windows-7-a.html]How to install Port I/O on Windows 7[/se7en]

Here's how to install Port I/O In Windows XP:

1. Open the Control Panel.

2. Open the "Add Hardware" wizard. If you are using Windows XP's default "Category View" for the Control Panel, this is done by clicking on "Printers and Other Hardware" and under "See Also" on the left, click "Add Hardware".

3. The wizard typically displays a screen explaining what it is used for. Click Next to continue.

4. The wizard may automatically scan for new hardware. The scanning will not detect anything related to PortIO32.

5. You may be asked "Have you already connected this hardware to your computer?" Regardless of whether you have installed any cards yet, click Yes.

6. You will be shown a list of the hardware already installed in your computer. Scroll all the way down and select "Add a new hardware device"

7. You will be asked whether Windows should search for the new hardware. Select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list"

8. A list of hardware categories will be shown. Select "Show All Devices" (On some versions of Windows this may be called "Other")

9. Click the "Have Disk" button and point Windows to the "windriver" directory of the PortIO32 distribution.
    [​IMG]

10. A list of drivers found in the directory you specified will be shown. Select the "PortIO32 Xbox 360 Device Driver" item and click Next.

11. Click Next again to "start installing your new hardware."

12. The files will be copied and installed. Click Finish to complete. You do not need to restart your computer.

Now all the hardware is installed!!

Now to flash the drive you can use any tut that you want to use.

I recommend using JungleFlasher to flash your drives.

Links for JungleFlasher:

(Credit goes to Carson from his tut: http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/fir...sh-all-xbox-360-dvd-drives-jungleflasher.html)

JungleFlasher

Tut on How to Flash Xbox 360 Drives by Team Jungle

You will need Adobe Reader to view the tut.
    Adobe Reader
    marv3028, SpeedyFeed, Nate and 44 others like this.
  2. XxUnderoath

XxUnderoath Newbie

Good tutorial, I'll try this out right now.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Hovi

Hovi NixFifty Got Shot First Super Moderators

Thanks for making this out, i cant use it yet, but i ordered that piece earlier today when we were talkin bout it.
    2 people like this.
  4. iTz MiKe

iTz MiKe Enthusiast

5. IDONTuseGEICO

4 people like this.
  6. iTz MiKe

iTz MiKe Enthusiast

lol i already bought the one you suggested anyways...i was just wondering cause that ones a dollar.
  7. IDONTuseGEICO

oh, ok. like i said, im not to sure if the one on ebay would work, i didnt see the chipset anywhere.
    3 people like this.
  8. rickeyf11

rickeyf11 Enthusiast

9. IDONTuseGEICO

5 people like this.
  10. iTz MiKe

iTz MiKe Enthusiast

oh btw, how long did it take for them to ship it to you? and where do you live?
  11. TehPhelix

TehPhelix Retired Retired

It will work if your laptop has a PCI express port, otherwise why would you buy it. Make sure your port is PCI express, not just PCI. Also be sure to note that it does not come with a SATA cable so in order to flash your xbox you also need to buy a SATA cable along with that. I would personally search newegg.com as they are more reliable and have a wider variety then most.
    1 person likes this.
  12. IDONTuseGEICO

it took about 2 days for processing, and once it ships it takes about a week to get to you. I live in New York.
    2 people like this.
  13. rickeyf11

rickeyf11 Enthusiast

yeah, i have an express port, and i have a couple sata cables from some broken computers. and ive been looking on newegg and i found this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839200006 but idk if it will work. how do u know the chipset??

edit- how come some sata ports/ cable had one side that looks like a sideways L and the other side is just flat? because the laptop im on has a sata port on the side and its just flat, but the cables i have are the sideways L and dont fit..
  14. rickeyf11

rickeyf11 Enthusiast

the express card is smaller than a regular one
    1 person likes this.
  15. IDONTuseGEICO

well if you know what a PCMIA slot is, a express card slot is about half the width. im not too sure if it can with an express card, but i dont see why not. i guess someone will have to try it out and let the rest of us know. thats what i did with a PCMIA card, i figured it was worth a shot and tried it.
  16. rickeyf11

rickeyf11 Enthusiast

how do you find out what the chipset is?
  17. IDONTuseGEICO

honestly i have no idea.
  18. rickeyf11

rickeyf11 Enthusiast

19. IDONTuseGEICO

20. rickeyf11

rickeyf11 Enthusiast

lol and wasting money if im wrong.