Solved How do I know if spy software is installed on my Mac

• Thread starter randysumonn
  • Start date
  • Views 784
R

randysumonn

Reaction score
Sin$
I am not sure whether there are spyware programs that are going to detect my email or chat logs etc...... on my Mac Leopard? I have heard that some Mac spy software programs even claim that once it is installed, it is totally undetectable? Is it true?

Operating System
  1. Mac OS
Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
MotM Bright Idea 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
I am not sure whether there are spyware programs that are going to detect my email or chat logs etc...... on my Mac Leopard? I have heard that some Mac spy software programs even claim that once it is installed, it is totally undetectable? Is it true?
You don't really see spyware that often on macbooks. Most of the time it's malware that activates your camera or other things of the like. The most prevalent type of virus you'll find on a macbook is adware, which is easily removed. As for what you've heard, Apple is very good about making sure applications don't overstep their boundaries as to what information they can access. If you think you have spyware or some other type of malware on your device, open Activity Monitor and look for any suspicious entries (Activity Monitor is the OS X equivalent of Task Manager). If you see anything that looks suspicious, give it a quick search in google to see if it is malicious. If it is, quit out of the process and download a removal tool like Avira or MalwareBytes to get it cleaned up.

Red58

Red58

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You don't really see spyware that often on macbooks. Most of the time it's malware that activates your camera or other things of the like. The most prevalent type of virus you'll find on a macbook is adware, which is easily removed. As for what you've heard, Apple is very good about making sure applications don't overstep their boundaries as to what information they can access. If you think you have spyware or some other type of malware on your device, open Activity Monitor and look for any suspicious entries (Activity Monitor is the OS X equivalent of Task Manager). If you see anything that looks suspicious, give it a quick search in google to see if it is malicious. If it is, quit out of the process and download a removal tool like Avira or MalwareBytes to get it cleaned up.
Some Malware is really nasty **** and can be hard to remove, but in most cases I have to agree that its more tedious than difficult.

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
MotM Bright Idea 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
Some Malware is really nasty **** and can be hard to remove, but in most cases I have to agree that its more tedious than difficult.
There are some really fun ones like gonephishing that aren't hard to remove and can be used to mess with people. It can be malicious if set up the right way though. There are some really hard ones to remove like KeRanger (the new ransomware that hit sometime around last month), but most people don't have to worry about things like that as you have to download an infected attachment, run the program, and put in your password in most cases.

Top Bottom
Login
Register