What's new

Question Help with restoring

ProTons

ProTons

^^The Hair Of A God^^
Reaction score
Sin$
i have a jailbroken iPhone 6 running ios 9.0.2 and i got tired of not being able to download apps and not having any storage so i decided restore, plugged it into itunes, backed up and pressed restore. same process i used before multiple times but this time itunes is stuck on "waiting for iphone" (https://gyazo.com/cfe23f7e19666d04d3b6fbdead983657) and my phone is at the screen with the apple logo and a loading bar but no progress has been made. i have tried restoring again but it seems like my itunes just won't detect my iphone.

any help Tabuu Tabuu

Operating System
  1. iOS
Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
MotM Bright Idea 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
i have a jailbroken iPhone 6 running ios 9.0.2 and i got tired of not being able to download apps and not having any storage so i decided restore, plugged it into itunes, backed up and pressed restore. same process i used before multiple times but this time itunes is stuck on "waiting for iphone" (https://gyazo.com/cfe23f7e19666d04d3b6fbdead983657) and my phone is at the screen with the apple logo and a loading bar but no progress has been made. i have tried restoring again but it seems like my itunes just won't detect my iphone.

any help Tabuu Tabuu
Should be a relatively easy fix. Put your device into recovery mode using this post, try the restore again, and let me know how it goes.

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
no luck with that, i was already in dfu mode after the first failed attempt, any more suggestions?
also i noticed that while it says "waiting for iphone" the s/n says n/a
It says n/a for the serial number because it doesn't have access to that data while the device is in recovery mode.
So it looks like this could be any number of problems from a bad USB cable to faulty hardware in the device itself. So let's run through a list real fast.
Things you should try first:
-Update iTunes
-Swap USB ports
-Swap cables
-Restart the computer
-Turn off any antivirus you have
-Switch computers
Apparently, if you let it sit long enough, an error message should pop up. Try that stuff, if none of them work then let it sit and tell me what error message pops up. That'll help me diagnose the problem better.

ProTons

ProTons

^^The Hair Of A God^^
Reaction score
Sin$
It says n/a for the serial number because it doesn't have access to that data while the device is in recovery mode.
So it looks like this could be any number of problems from a bad USB cable to faulty hardware in the device itself. So let's run through a list real fast.
-Update iTunes
-Swap USB ports
-Swap cables
-Restart the computer
-Switch computers
Apparently, if you let it sit long enough, an error message should pop up. Try that stuff, if none of them work then let it sit and tell me what error message pops up. That'll help me diagnose the problem better.
alright, will do, thanks

ProTons

ProTons

^^The Hair Of A God^^
Reaction score
Sin$
-Update iTunes
-Swap USB ports
-Swap cables
-Restart the computer
-Switch computers
keep getting error code 9

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
keep getting error code 9
Gotcha, was afraid of that. That means there is an issue with software or your USB cable. Check this post for software conflicts. If you are still getting the error after that, you really have to try it on a different computer. iTunes is a really b****y program to work with honestly. I have to constantly switch between my desktop and my laptop to do device restores.

ProTons

ProTons

^^The Hair Of A God^^
Reaction score
Sin$
Gotcha, was afraid of that. That means there is an issue with software or your USB cable. Check this post for software conflicts. If you are still getting the error after that, you really have to try it on a different computer. iTunes is a really b****y program to work with honestly. I have to constantly switch between my desktop and my laptop to do device restores.
yea im gonna try it on an old laptop i used to use for itunes and see if that works, ill update you either way, thanks again for the help, i appreciate it. :smile:

ProTons

ProTons

^^The Hair Of A God^^
Reaction score
Sin$
Sounds like a plan! Anytime, it's my job :tongue:
still nothing, just a thought but do you think because i did the jailbreak on an older version of itunes and im trying to restore on the latest version, could that be causing issues possibly?

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
still nothing, just a thought but do you think because i did the jailbreak on an older version of itunes and im trying to restore on the latest version, could that be causing issues possibly?
Nope, that shouldn't cause any problems. Have you tried reinstalling iTunes yet? Do you have another cable you try to use to connect your phone to your computer?

ProTons

ProTons

^^The Hair Of A God^^
Reaction score
Sin$
Nope, that shouldn't cause any problems. Have you tried reinstalling iTunes yet? Do you have another cable you try to use to connect your phone to your computer?
yes i have, i might try another cable and if that doesn't work i might just head up to the apple store tomorrow but if i do that would they be able to detect a jailbreak?

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
yes i have, i might try another cable and if that doesn't work i might just head up to the apple store tomorrow but if i do that would they be able to detect a jailbreak?
They might, but the issue isn't caused by the jailbreak, it's caused by iTunes's connection to your phone. No jailbreak tweak that I know of would cause that, especially when your device is already in recovery mode. Worst case scenario would be a dying logic board in which case you absolutely have to take it to the Apple Store.

ProTons

ProTons

^^The Hair Of A God^^
Reaction score
Sin$
They might, but the issue isn't caused by the jailbreak, it's caused by iTunes's connection to your phone. No jailbreak tweak that I know of would cause that, especially when your device is already in recovery mode. Worst case scenario would be a dying logic board in which case you absolutely have to take it to the Apple Store.
ok thanks, im gonna go get another cable and hope that works.

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
just tried a new cord and i get the same issue.
Hmmm alright, if you are absolutely certain that there are no software conflicts between iTunes and your device, then it might be an issue with the device itself. Error 9 is specifically an error that's caused when the connection between iTunes and your device is interrupted during the restore. That said, given everything you've tried, it might be that between the last time you restored your device and this time, the port on the phone may have been damaged (not enough to stop charging, but enough that the transfer of data for a restore gets interrupted. As much as I hate to say it, you will likely have to go to the Apple store closest to you have them restore it. Make sure you tell them all the troubleshooting steps you've tried and tell them you just want them to restore it for you. They shouldn't have any problems with that.

ProTons

ProTons

^^The Hair Of A God^^
Reaction score
Sin$
Hmmm alright, if you are absolutely certain that there are no software conflicts between iTunes and your device, then it might be an issue with the device itself. Error 9 is specifically an error that's caused when the connection between iTunes and your device is interrupted during the restore. That said, given everything you've tried, it might be that between the last time you restored your device and this time, the port on the phone may have been damaged (not enough to stop charging, but enough that the transfer of data for a restore gets interrupted. As much as I hate to say it, you will likely have to go to the Apple store closest to you have them restore it. Make sure you tell them all the troubleshooting steps you've tried and tell them you just want them to restore it for you. They shouldn't have any problems with that.
ok thanks for the help, im gonna try and go there tomorrow and i can let you know what happens. :smile:

Top Bottom
Login
Register