What's new

Question Help regarding first time installing a CFW JB for PS3 PHAT

M

MarcusArthuriel

Reaction score
Sin$
:woot::unsure: I will be buying a PS3 (Phat most likely) in the next couple of days thanks to a black Friday deal I'm seeing for Gamestop that I find to good to pass ($79.99 for 80GB Phat model).
I'm really interested in learning how to jailbreak it. I would love if someone could maybe give me a few pointers on what CFW I should use. Few "Step by Step" guides I've found are sort of outdated :frown::frown:
I'm also very interested in earning trophies on some PS3 backups I might start playing. The big questions I have are these; What CFW could/should I install that would work best in my favor for playing PS3/PS2/PSP Backups?
And what would be the safest way for me to able to go online and sync my trophies to my profile on PSN with the lowest chances possible of getting banned?

Reaper

Reaper

Shoot.Move.Communicate
Reaction score
Sin$
:woot::unsure: I will be buying a PS3 (Phat most likely) in the next couple of days thanks to a black Friday deal I'm seeing for Gamestop that I find to good to pass ($79.99 for 80GB Phat model).
I'm really interested in learning how to jailbreak it. I would love if someone could maybe give me a few pointers on what CFW I should use. Few "Step by Step" guides I've found are sort of outdated :frown::frown:
I'm also very interested in earning trophies on some PS3 backups I might start playing. The big questions I have are these; What CFW could/should I install that would work best in my favor for playing PS3/PS2/PSP Backups?
And what would be the safest way for me to able to go online and sync my trophies to my profile on PSN with the lowest chances possible of getting banned?

First, that is an awesome deal for a Phat, jump on that!

Now on to your other questions;
  1. You will need to make sure your Phat has the model of CECHH or higher i.e. CECHH01 CECHJ01 etc... If it is not CECHH or higher it will be a NAND console and you'll need a Teensy hardware tool to downgrade it which requires soldering and a bunch of other stuff that is really easy to mess up.
  2. Now that we established you need a CECHH or higher this is because all consoles after that are NOR models which only need an e3 Flasher to be able to downgrade them.
  3. You will need an e3 Flasher, USB stick, micro sd card, and a micro sd card reader that you can place in your pc.
  4. Also, Phats are slightly more difficult to downgrade as the NOR chip is on the bottom of the motherboard and getting your e3 clip to stay in place can be a pain in the @ss so just have patience!!! I promise you that you can downgrade and jailbreak phat consoles!!! :wink:
  5. Pianist Prodigy Pianist Prodigy should be able to tell you the latest and greatest firmware to use right now. My advice is stick with CEX since it is more user friendly than DEX when you first start out.
  6. The only real way you get banned is by getting reported by other people (at least in GTA V) I know some of the CoDs have system checks in place to detect of your running custom firmware so it's really a roll of the dice when you mod online.
If you have more questions feel free to ask! :smile:

Last edited:
Pianist Prodigy

Pianist Prodigy

Retired
Retired
Legendary Veteran MotM Contest Sponsor
Reaction score
Sin$

As for the latest firmware you can use Rebug 4.75 D-REX I recommend that, just in case if you want to convert from CEX to DEX. But CEX is good for people who are new to modding, I had also started off with CEX for a year then eventually after doing some research and reading on guides I decide to convert from CEX to DEX. I must admit once you get to DEX things are a bit complicated but eventually I understand everything and well I like DEX.

But once you get the PS3 you can click here I have big thread on mostly all the old and newest release CFW and also homebrew apps such as psn patch, psn ninja and CCAPI. And homebrew I listed above are the ones that lower the chances of you getting account or console banned when playing online on your CFW.

You can also click here for Reaper Reaper PS3 Jailbreak Mega guide this will be very useful since you new to Jailbreak etc. You can also click here for a tutorial to convert from CEX to DEX, whenever that time comes when you want to go to DEX.

Last edited:
M

MarcusArthuriel

Reaction score
Sin$
First, that is an awesome deal for a Phat, jump on that!

Now on to your other questions;
  1. You will need to make sure your Phat has the model of CECHH or higher i.e. CECHH01 CECHJ01 etc... If it is not CECHH or higher it will be a NAND console and you'll need a Teensy hardware tool to downgrade it which requires soldering and a bunch of other stuff that is really easy to mess up.
  2. Now that we established you need a CECHH or higher this is because all consoles after that are NOR models which only need an e3 Flasher to be able to downgrade them.
  3. You will need an e3 Flasher, USB stick, micro sd card, and a micro sd card reader that you can place in your pc.
  4. Also, Phats are slightly more difficult to downgrade as the NOR chip is on the bottom of the motherboard and getting your e3 clip to stay in place can be a pain in the @ss so just have patience!!! I promise you that you can downgrade and jailbreak phat consoles!!! :wink:
  5. Pianist Prodigy Pianist Prodigy should be able to tell you the latest and greatest firmware to use right now. My advice is stick with CEX since it is more user friendly than DEX when you first start out.
  6. The only real way you get banned is by getting reported by other people (at least in GTA V) I know some of the CoDs have system checks in place to detect of your running custom firmware so it's really a roll of the dice when you mod online.
If you have more questions feel free to ask! :smile:
Thanks for the response! You were both extremely helpful and informative. Love how detailed you guys were with everything :happy:
The PS3's that the Gamestops have in stock where I live at are the 2 USB port models so I think I'm going to be safe finding a CECH+ model that I need. Do you happen to know where I could find a very cheap e3 Flasher?
Also, I'm not all that interested in playing online multiplayer, I'll Only will be interested in syncing trophies on PSN and maybe watching Netflix/Hulu.
Should I be just fine going/staying online as long as I only stick to doing things like watching Netflix or syncing my profile? :confused:

Reaper

Reaper

Shoot.Move.Communicate
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for the response! You were both extremely helpful and informative. Love how detailed you guys were with everything :happy:
The PS3's that the Gamestops have in stock where I live at are the 2 USB port models so I think I'm going to be safe finding a CECH+ model that I need. Do you happen to know where I could find a very cheap e3 Flasher?
Also, I'm not all that interested in playing online multiplayer, I'll Only will be interested in syncing trophies on PSN and maybe watching Netflix/Hulu.
Should I be just fine going/staying online as long as I only stick to doing things like watching Netflix or syncing my profile? :confused:

www.modchipcentral.com is where I have bought all of my e3 Flashers from, they are 100% legit. Yes you should be fine being signed in online doing those things.

M

MarcusArthuriel

Reaction score
Sin$
www.modchipcentral.com is where I have bought all of my e3 Flashers from, they are 100% legit. Yes you should be fine being signed in online doing those things.
Thanks man! I was checking out the e3 Flashers but they are a bit expensive :unsure:. The Cobra ODE however really caught my attention as well. I'm wondering now if I would be able to do everything I plan on using the PS3 for with the ODE instead of using a CFW. I guess I should google the advantages and disadvantages with both.:unsure:

Reaper

Reaper

Shoot.Move.Communicate
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks man! I was checking out the e3 Flashers but they are a bit expensive :unsure:. The Cobra ODE however really caught my attention as well. I'm wondering now if I would be able to do everything I plan on using the PS3 for with the ODE instead of using a CFW. I guess I should google the advantages and disadvantages with both.:unsure:

ODEs only allow you the ability to play back ups of games from your HDD. It does not give you the capability to mod at all. The only way you can mod is with a Jailbroken console, and to do that you'll have to downgrade with an e3 Flasher then Jailbreak it on the custom firmware of your choice. So if all you wish to do is be able to copy games to your HDD then yes the ODE is the way to go, if you wish to be able to mod then you have to Jailbreak. Check out eBay for e3 Flashers you can sometimes find them on there cheaper than mod chip central and still work just as good.

M

MarcusArthuriel

Reaction score
Sin$
ODEs only allow you the ability to play back ups of games from your HDD. It does not give you the capability to mod at all. The only way you can mod is with a Jailbroken console, and to do that you'll have to downgrade with an e3 Flasher then Jailbreak it on the custom firmware of your choice. So if all you wish to do is be able to copy games to your HDD then yes the ODE is the way to go, if you wish to be able to mod then you have to Jailbreak. Check out eBay for e3 Flashers you can sometimes find them on there cheaper than mod chip central and still work just as good.
I understand. Alright, I'll be on the lookout on eBay for a cheaper flasher :smile:, If not then I'll just get one from ModChipCentral. :smile:

Top Bottom
Login
Register