What's new

Tutorial Guide] Learn BL2 Modding in 15 mins - Weapons and Class Mods - Comprehensive Guide

• Thread starter krutou
  • Start date
  • Views 136,823
K

krutou

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This guide assumes you are familiar with Gibbed's Save Editor for Borderlands 2 which can be found here: http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/borderlands-2-save-editor-revision-113.798767/

A simple introductory tutorial to the program can be found here: http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/how-to-use-gibbeds-save-editor.799297/

This guide was designed to explain how to create powerful, including hybrid, items in the editor and explain any nuances involved in the Borderlands 2 item system.

Weapons
Here's a 'mostly' comprehensive guide on how to mod weapons, including hybrid (black) weapons.

1) Pick a manufacturer. Manufacturers determine weapon characteristics.
Bandit = Large Clip, Dahl = Burst Fire, Hyperion = Accuracy/Reverse Recoil, Jakobs = High Damage/Semi-Auto, Maliwan = Elemental Damage, Tediore = Grenade Reloads, Torgue = Gyrojets, Vladof = Increase Fire Rate
2) Pick a gun type. I prefer pistols because they have the most mod slots. Each gun type has their own characteristics.
AR = High ROF/Moderate Damage, Launcher = Rockets/Low Clip/Low ROF/Slow Reload, Pistol = Low Clip/Medium ROF, Shotgun = Pellets/Reduced Damage/Low Clip/Low ROF, SMG = High ROF/Large Clip, Sniper = High Damage/Low Clip/Low ROF.
3) Assign 'Type' according to 1 and 2.

4) Always select 'Balance' as '4_VeryRare' for the final modded weapon to maximize stats.

5) Assign 'Manufacturer' according to 1.

6) Assign item level in the blanks 'Manufacturer Grade' and 'Game Stage'.

7) Assign a 'Body', 'Grip', 'Barrel', 'Sight' and 'Stock' according to the following criteria:
a) These parts may be from any manufacturer. Assigning a 'Body' from another manufacturer than declared in 'Type', 'Balance' and 'Manufacturer' will cause your weapon to be black. This does not apply to 'Grip', 'Barrel', 'Sight' or 'Stock'. Caveat: assigning a legendary or unique 'Barrel' without the corresponding 'Type', 'Balance' and 'Manufacturer' will also cause your weapon to be black.
b) Selected parts affect the look of your weapon. In particular, 'Body' defines the bullet chamber area, ie. Hyperion Pistols have neck 'spine' like bodies.
c) 'Sight' selection determines the level of zoom of your scope and the type of scoping used: Iron Sight, Red Dot or ACOG.
d) 'Stock' is not required for pistols but are necessary for other weapons to look 'complete'.
e) Assigning a part from another weapon type will cause your part to not be rendered. This will also cause your weapon to be black.
8) Assign a 'Material'. 'Material' defines the skin (color scheme + pattern) of your gun.
Selecting a 'Material' outside of your declared manufacturer, weapon type and weapon grade will cause your weapon to be black. Selecting a 'Material' outside of your declared manufacturer and weapon type may cause the skin to be applied incorrectly to the weapon; for example, the manufacturer's insignia may be in the wrong place. Recommend: select a 'Material' within your declared weapon type and manufacturer for optimum results, selecting a 'Material' from a different grade (including legendaries) is OK.
9) Assign a 'Prefix' and 'Title'. 'Prefix' defines the first word/phrase in the gun name. 'Title' defines the second word/phrase in the gun name.
Set 'Prefix' and 'Title' to 'None' if you would like the game to automatically assign a name upon retrieval of the item from your bank.

10) Assign 'Stock', 'Element', 'Accessory #1' and 'Accessory #2' according to the following rules:
a) If your weapon 'requires' a 'Stock', assigning a nonstandard 'Stock' will cause your weapon to look 'incomplete'.
b) Assign an element to 'Element' if you would like your weapon to be elemental (Fire, Corrosive, Shock, Slag). Only 1 element can be assigned at a time and must be assigned to the elemental slot.
c) Assigning an 'Accessory #2' will cause your weapon to be black.
11) Add hybrid parts to your weapon. Hybrid parts are parts that do not belong in the slot they are assigned to. Assign hybrid parts according to the following rules:
a) Parts can be exchanged between any of the following slots: 'Body', 'Grip', 'Barrel', 'Sight', 'Stock', 'Elemental', 'Accessory #1', 'Accessory #2' and 'Material'. However, the correct part type must be assigned in the correct slot for the part to be rendered correctly. When assigned, hybrid parts will grant their stats to the weapon, although they may not be rendered
b) 'Elemental', 'Accessory #1', 'Accessory #2' slots can be declared with hybrid parts with no visual impact to the weapon. 'Stock' slot is also available on pistols.
c) The quickest way to find powerful hybrid parts to assign is via http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Weapon_Effects_Borderlands_2 . Legendary and Unique weapons frequently have the best implementation of a special effect. The special effect arises from the 'Barrel' of these Legendary and Unique weapons. To find a weapon's barrel, determine the weapon's unique name and manufacturer. Create a new weapon and assign the 'Type' and 'Balance' according to the weapon's unique name and manufacturer. In the drop down list for 'Barrel' find the part ID for the barrel. Copy and paste this part ID into desired slots as a hybrid part.
12) Make sure all black weapons are placed in the 'Bank' or the game will delete them upon initialization.

13) Make sure you have closed the game before saving your save file.
Useful Weapon Parts and their Effects
Gub - Increased Magazine Size GD_Weap_Pistol.Barrel.Pistol_Barrel_Bandit_Gub
b**** - Increased Accuracy GD_Weap_SMG.Barrel.SMG_Barrel_Hyperion_b****
Shredifier - Fire Rate +50% GD_Weap_AssaultRifle.Barrel.AR_Barrel_Vladof_Shredifier
HammerBuster - +30% Damage, no increase in ammo consumption GD_Weap_AssaultRifle.Barrel.AR_Barrel_Dahl_HammerBuster
Striker - Increased Accuracy, Decreased Spread, no increase in ammo consumption GD_Weap_Shotgun.Barrel.SG_Barrel_Hyperion_Striker
Vertical Grip - Small Damage Bonus, x2 multiplier, no increased ammo requirement GD_Weap_Shotgun.Accessory.SG_Accessory_VerticalGrip
Jakobs Barrel SG - Small Damage Bonus, +4- +8 pellets, +1 ammo usage GD_Weap_Shotgun.Barrel.SG_Barrel_Jakobs
Torgue Barrel SG - Large Damage Bonus, +8- +14 pellets, large ammo consumption 4-9 GD_Weap_Shotgun.Barrel.SG_Barrel_Torgue
Jakobs Grip SG - Damage Bonus 15%% GD_Weap_Shotgun.Grip.SG_Grip_Jakobs
Bullet Speed - Increases Bullet Speed GD_Weap_AssaultRifle.Accessory.AR_Accessory_Box_BulletSpeed
Badaboom - +3 Pellets +Spread, no increased ammo requirement GD_Weap_Launchers.Barrel.L_Barrel_Bandit_BadaBoom
Infinity - Infinite Ammo, Reduces Damage, Clip = 1 GD_Weap_Pistol.Barrel.Pistol_Barrel_Vladof_Infinity
Laser Doubler - doubles pellet count at the expense of ammo consumption GD_Weap_Pistol.Accessory.Pistol_Accessory_Laser_Double

Class Mods
1) Pick a Class Mod: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Class_Mod

2) Assign a 'Type' according to your selection in '1'

3) Assign a 'Balance' according to your selection in '1' and '2'. Recommended: '4_VeryRare' grade for best stats.

4) Select a 'Manufacturer'. Selecting a 'Manufacturer' outside of the standard manufacturers defined in http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Class_Mod may cause your Class Mod to be black.

5) Select an item level and assign it to 'Manufacturer Grade' and 'Game Stage'

6) Assign 'Alpha' to 'Theta' and 'Material' slots according to the following rules:
a) 'Alpha' slot is designated for the following part type GD_ClassMods.Specialization.Spec . This part type defines your skill bonus stats. Assigning another part type may make your item black.

b) 'Beta' slot is designated for the following part type GD_ClassMods.StatPrimary.PrimaryStat . This part type defines the strength of the first non-skill bonus stat. Assigning another part type may make your item black.

c) 'Gamma' slot is designated for the following part type GD_ClassMods.StatPrimary02.PrimaryStat02 ; note the bolded portion of the part id. This part defines the strength of the second non-skill bonus stat. Assigning another part type may make your item black.

d) 'Delta' to 'Theta' slots are defined as 'None' for non-hybrid (non-black) class mods.

e) 'Material' slot is designated for the following part type: GD_ClassMods.StatPenalty.StatPenalty . This part does not seem to have an effect on the quality of your item.

f) Hybrid class mods will be produced by inserting 'hybrid' parts into slots 'Alpha' to 'Material'. The 'standard' parts inserted into these slots are as follows:

i) Stat bonuses: Stat bonuses seen at the top of a Class Mod's tooltip can be increased by adding additional stat parts such as: GD_ClassMods.StatPrimary.PrimaryStat_A5_B0_C0 and GD_ClassMods.StatPrimary02.PrimaryStat02_A0_B5_C0 grade 5 parts are recommended to maximize stats.

ii) Skill Bonuses: Skill bonus parts are of the type GD_ClassMods.Specialization.Spec followed by up to 3 components 'A', 'B' and 'C' modified by a number '1', '2' or '3' such as GD_ClassMods.Specialization.Spec_AS1_BS2_CS3 .

1) Skill numbers: Skill number '1' represents the first skill in the set. Skill number '2' represents the second skill in the mod. Skill number '3' represents the third skill in the mod. For example, in the Gunzerker Berzerker mod, '1' denotes Yippie-Ki-Yay, '2' denotes Lay Waste and '3' denotes Last Longer.

2) Skills: Letter ID 'A' represents the primary effect which is generally the highest effect. Letter IDs 'B' and 'C' represent the secondary and tertiary effects. A dash '-' prior to any letter ID denotes it as the subtraction effect.

3) Bonus Points: The base skill bonus of any class mod is determined by the grade selected in slot 'Balance'. A grade of '4_VeryRare' grants a default 4 skill bonus points for each component initialized, each component who's component letter is displayed in one of the slots 'Alpha' to 'Material. The minimum skill bonus is -1, additional subtraction effects will not work.

4) Number of Skills: Single skill parts such as GD_ClassMods.Specialization.Spec_AS1 are from grade '2_Uncommon' balances. They provide +1 point to the specified skill. Dual skill parts such as GD_ClassMods.Specialization.Spec_AS1_BS2 are from grade '3_Rare' balances. They provide +2 to skill 'A' and +1 to skill 'B'. Triple skill parts such as GD_ClassMods.Specialization.Spec_AS1_BS2_CS3 are from grade '4_VeryRare' balances. They provide +1 to skill 'A' and initialize skills 'B' and 'C'. Subtraction effects only occur in triple skill balances.

5) Dual skill parts are recommended for maximizing the number of bonus points in a hybrid class mod.

7) Assign a 'Prefix' and 'Title'. 'Prefix' defines the first word/phrase in the gun name. 'Title' defines the second word/phrase in the gun name. Set 'Prefix' and 'Title' to 'None' if you would like the game to automatically assign a name upon retrieval of the item from your bank.

Credits: fathom7411 fathom7411 ghostotap ghostotap Jet Blackhart ManBearPig06

Last edited:
AkimboNoob

AkimboNoob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Very well put together and in-depth, should help out anyone wanting to make any type of weapon

K

krutou

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Added a section as a guide for class mods. Can a moderator change the name of the thread to include 'and Class Mods'?

ghostotap

ghostotap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
:what:

That's a good start; good job.

I'd like to see, for the partial parts list, an entry added for those that plus balance with the `Infinity Barrel' component.

The `GD_Weap_Shotgun.Accessory.SG_Accessory_VerticalGrip' component for example does not add any ammo requirements when trying to build a gun with infinite ammo.

Ghost

K

krutou

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
o_O

That's a good start; good job.

I'd like to see, for the partial parts list, an entry added for those that plus balance with the `Infinity Barrel' component.

The `GD_Weap_Shotgun.Accessory.SG_Accessory_VerticalGrip' component for example does not add any ammo requirements when trying to build a gun with infinite ammo.

Ghost

I will add the Vertical Grip information

Sure, the problem is, I rarely use the Infinity barrel and I prefer to avoid 'balancing'. I prefer to use ammo-less parts such as Badaboom, Vertical Grip, HammerBuster and Buffalo. Makes it easier to assign Infinity and seems yield better damage results.

If you'd like you can write a guide and I'll quote it in the OP.

Darkstone

Darkstone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
b) Assign an element to 'Element' if you would like your weapon to be elemental (Fire, Corrosive, Shock, Slag).
I found that you can add elements into any section and they will work. So if you want a multi-elemental gun it can be done.

In a build I just did the shotgun parts worked the best:

GD_Weap_Shotgun.elemental.Shotgun_Elemental_Corrosive
GD_Weap_Shotgun.elemental.Shotgun_Elemental_Fire
GD_Weap_Shotgun.elemental.Shotgun_Elemental_Shock
GD_Weap_Shotgun.elemental.Shotgun_Elemental_Slag

Fenix66d

Fenix66d

Reaction score
Sin$

Does the 'manufacturer grade' and 'Game Stage' value have to be the same? What's the difference between these two stats?

K

krutou

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I found that you can add elements into any section and they will work. So if you want a multi-elemental gun it can be done.

You're right, I should have been more clear.

Does the 'manufacturer grade' and 'Game Stage' value have to be the same? What's the difference between these two stats?

Manufacturer Grade defines the item's level. I have no idea what Game Stage does. It doesn't seem to do anything.

fathom7411

fathom7411

Hardened Veteran Frame In Gold Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Manufacturer Grade defines the item's level. I have no idea what Game Stage does. It doesn't seem to do anything.
Could it be that game level reflects when the item was first picked up?

I have not been able to test that on other guns but tried I it a few times on smgs and certain pistols and I can not get multi elements to work at all let alone if they are not in the elemental spot. I could be totally missing something or just be retarded.

Darkstone

Darkstone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have not been able to test that on other guns but tried I it a few times on smgs and certain pistols and I can not get multi elements to work at all let alone if they are not in the elemental spot.

No it was I who is wrong. Your observations are correct.

When I made my Moxxi's Thunderballs gun I was trying to add a secondary elemental effect and when I placed a second "corrosive" elemental in the "elemental slot" it lost it's shock ball and replaced it with a corrosive one. So I tried regaining the shock back by placing the element into another slot and got it back. So it seems it's dependent on other factors.

Sorry for the confusion guys.

ghostotap

ghostotap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
K krutou

These parts also do not add to ammo requirements:

GD_Weap_AssaultRifle.Barrel.AR_Barrel_Dahl_HammerBuster
GD_Weap_Shotgun.Barrel.SG_Barrel_Hyperion_Striker
GD_Weap_Shotgun.Grip.SG_Grip_Jakobs

The doubling part (`GD_Weap_Pistol.Accessory.Pistol_Accessory_Laser_Double') needs to be added. The exact range depends on the gun type, but I do have a few good rules of thumb. If the gun has over 20 projects adding a doubler is usually better than adding another component that simply increases the multiplier. If the gun has over 50 projectiles adding a second doubler is usually better than adding another component that simply increases the multiplier.

Also, the post is getting long in the tooth; can you please add "spoiler" tags to the individual sections so people can find what they are looking for faster?

Ghost

K

krutou

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
K krutou

These parts also do not add to ammo requirements:

GD_Weap_AssaultRifle.Barrel.AR_Barrel_Dahl_HammerBuster
GD_Weap_Shotgun.Barrel.SG_Barrel_Hyperion_Striker
GD_Weap_Shotgun.Grip.SG_Grip_Jakobs

The doubling part (`GD_Weap_Pistol.Accessory.Pistol_Accessory_Laser_Double') needs to be added. The exact range depends on the gun type, but I do have a few good rules of thumb. If the gun has over 20 projects adding a doubler is usually better than adding another component that simply increases the multiplier. If the gun has over 50 projectiles adding a second doubler is usually better than adding another component that simply increases the multiplier.

Also, the post is getting long in the tooth; can you please add "spoiler" tags to the individual sections so people can find what they are looking for faster?

Ghost

Added your suggestions. Are you sure the jakobs sg grip has no ammo requirement? In my tested a few days ago I'm pretty sure it adds 1 ammo.

Nested spoilers ftw

ghostotap

ghostotap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
:what:

Interesting.

I've noted many times that some components may combine in unexpected ways.

In my own test, no extra ammo cost was seen, but then I had tested solely as a damaging accessory in an infinite ammo build.

Did your own test include other shotgun components?

*shrug*

Either way, it stands to more testing; I am sure about the other two.

[Edit]
I appreciate you giving me credit, I do, but the "in place" looks awful.

I think it would look less intrusive at the bottom or something.
[/Edit]

Ghost

K

krutou

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I haven't created a SG yet and I don't use SG components besides Vertical Grip.

Fixed the credits stuff.

Y

yellofello99

Reaction score
Sin$
What are the codes for titles and prefixes? Also, can you make your own title/prefix?

K

krutou

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
ZeroToned

ZeroToned

†††
VIP
Retired
Grizzled Veteran Bright Idea Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Titles and prefixes are drawn from a bank. Each title/prefix has their own part ID. You can mix and match titles and prefixes. Not sure if titles and prefixes stick.

Titles and prefix part IDs are listed here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_f11g1DlLhDMUZJcEk0dy0ycVk/edit

Not sure if you noticed this but you get a bigger damage bonus of you exclude the Legendary Weapon Balance tab. Ex: GD_Weap_SniperRifles.A_Weapons_Legendary.Sniper_Jakobs_5_Skullmasher
If it was changed to GD_Weap_SniperRifles.A_Weapons.Sniper_Jakobs_4_VeryRare they get a better damage bonus than they legendary itself. (This is in reference to Hybrids)

tonymarco134

tonymarco134

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
if you were to choose this Torgue Barrel SG - Large Damage Bonus, +8- +14 pellets, large ammo consumption 4-9 GD_Weap_Shotgun.Barrel.SG_Barrel_Torgue but you wanted this in the barrel slot GD_Weap_Launchers.Barrel.L_Barrel_Torgue_TheHive
how would you use the torgue barrel still. Where would i put it at if i wanted to use it but the barrel was taken by the hive. Also if i wanted to ue the torgue barrel in the barrel slot then could i still use the hive in a different slot to get the effect of it shooting out the green balls,

Top Bottom
Login
Register