Good Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rispoli

Rispoli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys i need a new router that can portforward tcp udp to specific ips allow inbound rules etc. Im upgrading from a ****** ATT router. I need it to be strong and have the connection reachable from about 200ft.
Looking into this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0088...&dpID=41ioYEjQvvL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SX200_QL40
Or a netgear

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Slime

Slime

Slimetologist
Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Long answer short: Netgear will be better by a lot compared to the one your looking at. However both will serve there purpose just fine for your use.

Long answer still long:
So brands really mean nothing. Brands are what design the GUI's you will use to configure the device.

Cisco and Juniper Networks are the provider of the best performance routers and networking devices. These usually are much more advanced devices and required an advanced level of network knowledge to apply and change settings. Most Cisco routers are CLI based only.

TP Link and DLink are lower end brands that will not have as such an advanced configuration set of settings. These are better for non-technical users. These are good for home use but mainly do not include that many features.

Netgear and Asus are providers of higher end home routers. So these routers are also for non-technical users and usually come with software with easy setup ability. They include however a better selection of settings however no where near the scope of an Cisco or Juniper router/device.

With that said now just understand the specific standards.

Wireless is really only capable of transmitting at 300mbs. Still 300mbs is faster then almost any home Internet connection you can get today so why would you need faster? Wireless N will do just fine unless you are a lucky person and have a dedicated fiber line to your house in which you should be getting near 1000mbs.

Duel Band is simply the ability to pass a 2.4Ghz wireless network and a 5.0Ghz wireless networks. Both utalise the same uplink however so using duel band is not really two wireless networks but a split network in which specific devices can be apart of their own specific network. Such as security cameras are good to be used on a 5.0Ghz wireless network.

Wireless Standards are what decide the speed and range of your network. There are only Wireless B/G/N/AC and AC is really new as of late 2014/early 2015.

Use this for better reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Rispoli

Rispoli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Long answer short: Netgear will be better by a lot compared to the one your looking at. However both will serve there purpose just fine for your use.

Long answer still long:
So brands really mean nothing. Brands are what design the GUI's you will use to configure the device.

Cisco and Juniper Networks are the provider of the best performance routers and networking devices. These usually are much more advanced devices and required an advanced level of network knowledge to apply and change settings. Most Cisco routers are CLI based only.

TP Link and DLink are lower end brands that will not have as such an advanced configuration set of settings. These are better for non-technical users. These are good for home use but mainly do not include that many features.

Netgear and Asus are providers of higher end home routers. So these routers are also for non-technical users and usually come with software with easy setup ability. They include however a better selection of settings however no where near the scope of an Cisco or Juniper router/device.

With that said now just understand the specific standards.

Wireless is really only capable of transmitting at 300mbs. Still 300mbs is faster then almost any home Internet connection you can get today so why would you need faster? Wireless N will do just fine unless you are a lucky person and have a dedicated fiber line to your house in which you should be getting near 1000mbs.

Duel Band is simply the ability to pass a 2.4Ghz wireless network and a 5.0Ghz wireless networks. Both utalise the same uplink however so using duel band is not really two wireless networks but a split network in which specific devices can be apart of their own specific network. Such as security cameras are good to be used on a 5.0Ghz wireless network.

Wireless Standards are what decide the speed and range of your network. There are only Wireless B/G/N/AC and AC is really new as of late 2014/early 2015.

Use this for better reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
so preety much im just paying for looks and useless features with a tp link could you link me a good netgear with strong connection my att router is garbage and cant hold connection for about 75ft

frayed

frayed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i use a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 flashed with DD-WRT as my primary house router and an Linksys E3000 flashed with DD-WRT for my garage

both are excellent routers

neonpolaris

neonpolaris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I always make sure that whatever router I buy can run DD-WRT, and maybe even Tomato. This gives you much more flexibility if you have more advanced needs in the future. This can be anything from running programs on the router itself, advanced scripting, or even just no restrictions on which DDNS services you can use.

Space

Space

PlayStation 4 ✔
Reaction score
Sin$
If Your Broband Was From A Provider Such As BT, Sky,Virgin Use The Router Provided

Rispoli

Rispoli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have my mind set in a Netgear N450 i think it is.
Im needing to portforward and UPNP or something i dont recall what it is specifically. And it needs to have strong wireless connection for about 60 feet. Ive heard netgears have easier control of settings and moderately advanced settings. Somewhere around 50-70 USD

Status
Not open for further replies.