Gold/Diamond sniper guide

Discussion in 'Call of Duty: Black Ops 2' started by sleezecheeze, Nov 29, 2012 with 24 replies and 24,705 views.

1. Holy Jesus

Holy Jesus 404 BEER NOT FOUND

Hey guys. Well this thread is going to be a guide on (what I think) to be the easiest and quickest way to get the snipers gold in Black Ops 2. Let’s begin.

GET 250 ONE SHOT KILLS WITH (insert sniper rifle here). This is generic and standard to all of the sniper rifles in black ops 2. It’s reasonably self-explanatory and easy to achieve in a quick time frame. The only trouble that people may have with this is getting one shot kills with the SVU. I advise that to do so you play a Hardcore match type, such as Hardcore TDM. This will take a while because of added time lengths such as a respawn timer and slow paced gameplay, but it will turn out quicker in the long run.

Ok, once you have the 250 one shot kills you’ll be faced with the following –
    -Carbon fibre (Get 10 longshot medals with X)
    -Cherry Blossom (Get 50 kills using no attachments with X) [Here after CB]
    -Art of war (Get 50 kills using no perks with X) [Hereafter AOW]
    - Ronin (Get 5 Double Kill medals with X)
    - Skulls (Get 10 bloodthirsty medals with X)

The quickest way to go about these challenges is to do as many as you can at once. Obviously longshots, double kills and bloodthirsty medals come throughout normal play and require no other pre-requisite. So once you’ve completed the 250 one shot kill challenge I advise that you remove everything from the class except for the weapon.

For bloodthirsty medals and double kills it’s important that all of the required kills come from the gun itself, not secondaries, equipment, knifing etc. That is why every other way of killing somebody should be removed from the class. By removing attachments and perks you’re also allowing for the AOW and CB challenges to be completed at the same time.

It’s important that you remove everything lethal from your class, but that doesn't mean that you can’t watch your back or still have the advantage. Non-lethal (tactical) items become pivotal in this situation. Equip the wildcard “Tactician” and then select four tactical equipment (2x2). I recommend shock charges if you’re going to be sitting in a perch, as they can be placed behind you and hidden in any other building entrances. Shock charges don’t only make the enemies immobile; the charges alert you to their presence which is extremely valuable. For the other tactical device I’d pick between sensor grenades or black hats, both are good for this situation. Your class should look something like this –

[​IMG]

There are many ways to go about owning the challenges but one particular way works very well. That particular way is setting up shop in a room that has a good view of the maps fairway and popular travel paths. These rooms allow you to stay in one position and easily pick off un-advantaged SMG, AR and Shotgun users. It’s important to watch your back though, once you kill that same person a few times or you’re making mincemeat of the enemy team they will stop playing the objective just to hunt you down. Put a shock charge in the entrance to cover your back and maybe even one directly below the window to stop them pesky Frag and C4 tossers.

Ok, now to playing. Sniping is difficult with lag and bad ping so when you go to search for a match make sure that you change connection type to ‘Best’. You can do this by hitting Find match and then pressing the ‘X’ button for xbox users. Now that you’ve got that sorted it’s time to decide what to play. Each game mode has its advantages and disadvantages.

Good game types for gold snipers –

Ground war:
    My personal favourite, ground war features 18 man lobbies (9 man teams) and usually takes place on larger maps which is good for long shot medals. More people on the enemy team means that there are more people to shoot, but make sure you’re careful because there are also more people to shoot you.

Domination:
    Domination is good because it partially allows you and your team to control the map and spawns. By manipulating the capture points you can force your enemies to spawn in one area which easily allows you to sit in a safe place and pick them off one by one as they come around the corner.

Hardcore TDM:
    Hardcore is good for people who can keep their cool. If you like to sit in one spot and wait for the enemy to come to you (camping) then it’s a good match type. It’s also good if you’re having trouble killing people with the SVU.

Bad game types for gold snipers –

Free For All:
    Team cover is essential when playing the role of a sniper and you don’t have any of that in FFA. Black ops 2 has also made it extremely easy to get inside of a building, some rooms having 3-4 entrances and almost all of them having at least 2. This isn’t good if you want to start your own little sniper hole. Treyarch have also done a reasonably terrible job with the spawns, and if MW3 taught us anything it’s that bad spawns are worse in FFA.

Search and Destroy:
    Mainly because of the slow kill rate and the amount of people running around with powerful weapons. SnD has always been one of the most competitive game types and people will do anything to avoid losing. Stealth is also a big issue in SnD, with Ghost being unavailable until level 55 and suppressors practically ruining any sniper rifle it’s just not a good idea to go in guns blazing. The overall kill rate is just too slow to pump out constant bloodthirsty medals.

Chaos Moshpit:
    The maps are small and the kill rate is high. Like the name suggests it turns bad fast and you’ll be getting killed all over the place. Small maps aren’t very good for sitting in one place either, because the spawns will quickly change and the enemies will be up in your arsehole in no time. It’s not so bad if you fancy yourself a bit of quickscoper but I’d advise staying away from it if you’re going for gold. Shotguns and SMGs go riot in this game mode.

Score streaks –
    Score streaks really aren’t that important in this situation. The only thing that I recommend is to stick to non-lethal score streaks such as UAV, Orbital VSAT and counter UAVs. All of them give you a massive in game advantage and don’t take away from possible sniper rifle kills. Also remember that any kills you receive from lethal killstreaks won't count toward your camo-earning bloodthirsty medals.

Good maps for longshot medals –
    Drone – Turbine – Carrier – Cargo – Meltdown (window to window across centre of map) – Raid (Window to window both left and right side of map)

FAQ -

How many kills does it take to get a golden sniper?
    Well this really depends, usually I get them in 500 - 800 kills. Multiple factors can influence this depending on how long it takes to get the bloodthirsty medals and double kills. The ballista for example took me around 900 kills, simply because I had trouble with the bloodthirsty medals. The DSR was done within 500 kills and the SVU took me around 600 - 700 kills.

What is the minimum amount of kills required?
    300 kills. This would require you to receive all 250 one shot kills medals, then receive exactly one bloodthirsty medal per life. You would also need to get longshots, double kills and be using no perks and attachments for this to work. 300 is an absolute minimum and would be very hard to achieve. Realistically, I'd say 450 - 500 is the smallest amount possible for most players.

I can't get bloodthirsty medals no matter how I try, can you recommend attachments for me?
    It all comes down to how you play, but there are certain attachments that are suitably good for certain weapons.

DSR :
    FMJ - Makes the very odd hitmarker even less likely to occur
    Any other attachment here. The DSR is so powerful that it's worth sacrificing your second attachment for something else, such as a perk.

SVU:
    Suppressor - The rapid fire rate (although it is capped) allows the SVU to fire in quick succession, meaning that hit markers become expected and less of an issue. Seeing as this is the case, using a suppressor to maintain a stealth element is very useful for the SVU.
    Extended Mag - Extended mags allow more bullets to be fired before reloading which comes in incredibly useful with the SVU, especially when you can see more than one enemy at a time. Spray to your hearts content, knowing that you most likely won't run out of ammo and have to reload one bullet short of a kill.

Ballista:
    Iron Sight - Some people struggle to use the scope on the Ballista, and I was one of these people. Using the Iron Sight can be very weird for the first time, but once adjusted to can actually change the role of the weapon. Instead of laying prone up the back of a map you can effectively change the ballista to an assault weapon, allowing you to play differently. Beware though, missing a shot will almost certainly result in death if you're in active combat. The Iron Sight is the last attachment unlocked, at WPN LVL 11.

XPR:
    Personally I also changed the scope on this weapon, simply because the zoom level of the ordinary scope didn't satisfy me. I used Variable Zoom scope. All other attachments are simply un-needed, unless you wanted to opt for FMJ or Extended mags, either of which could be useful depending on how you play.

What do the Diamond snipers look like?
    Well I'm glad you asked. I'm sure you would've seen them in play by now, but in case you haven't here they are. (Not my images)

DSR:
    [​IMG]

SVU:
    (coming)

BALLISTA:
    [​IMG]

XPR:
    (coming)

Well that’s pretty much all for now; I hope that I've given you something useful. If you have any questions post below and I'll answer them to the best of my ability. Also I'm willingly open to suggestions, criticism and feedback of any sort. I'll continue adding to this with FAQ sections and other tips later on.

TL;DR - After you get 250 one shot kills remove everything from your class and use tactical grenades to your advantage.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. ISU

ISU ~ Se7ensins ~

Looks like an amazing tutorial, but no way in hell im reading all that =p.
  3. -Spooze-

-Spooze- Need a little Spooze?

I read most of it and it's actually quite helpful. I never thought about using two tactical grenades. That would help me get double kills faster, thanks.
  4. Mozaik

Mozaik Getting There

I disagree with not playing chaos moshpit. That's all I play and I got gold for the DSR last night. My k/d with the sniper is around 2.24 and my overall was a 1.97 when I unlocked gold, around 1.85 now (SVU sucks).
  5. Holy Jesus

It comes down to preference I guess. I also found that playing chaos moshpit was great for getting the one shot kills and double kills quickly but staying alive long enough on the small maps for bloodthirsty medals was a tad harder.

I guess it comes down to your playstyle. If it works for you, go for it.

Thanks!
  6. Mozaik

Mozaik Getting There

Yeah it all really comes down to the Gametype aswell. Nice post though, should come in handy for myself and others. Not sure if I'll go for diamond just because I hate the SVU but I'll try it more this weekend.
  7. Holy Jesus

Yes the SVU was a terrible experience. It's not that bad after you get the one shot kills though. Whack a silencer and extended mags on it and play something you're comfortable with and it's pretty easy to get bloodthirsty medals.
  8. Holy Jesus

Bump, added FAQ and some pictures.
  9. Holy Jesus

Post for re-surface. Again.
  10. xJollyRog3r

xJollyRog3r Enthusiast

Wasn't it proven that FMJ has no effect what so ever on actual player damage?
  11. Lapis Lazuli

Lapis Lazuli GT: Custom Units

Its really Just the basics. 250 one shots, Hardcore. dont run with a sniper unless you just spawned or are using dexteriority
  12. Holy Jesus

Probably but it's still incredibly useful when using the SVU or XPR and shooting at someone through cover.

Depends how you look at it.
  13. Heavens Grenade

Heavens Grenade Brick Squad

Instead of playing hardcore TDM you should play hardcore kill confirmed. There's no spawn wait in-between deaths.
    You can also camp tags and pick off any enemy that tries to grab it.
    Lapis Lazuli and Number VIII like this.
  14. Lapis Lazuli

It really did help alot tho, im on my xpr and i never really had any want to get snipers diamond, but its funner when you are doing it w/ a friend. me and my friend have both the dsr/ballista golden, and blue tiger XPR. its a fun challenge and we dont care how much we die, as long as we're getting kills and having fun :D
  15. Holy Jesus

There's also no spawn timer in HC TDM any more. There was initially (did the XPR and SVU with spawn timers) but they've been removed a couple of months back.
  16. Omniscient Gamer

Omniscient Gamer Contributor

Here's some things you might want to look into
    FMJ: This DOES NOT add damage TO ANYTHING
    It's only deep impact from CoD4 and allows you to shoot through the next level or material.
    On the DSR you are better off using it ****d or with just fast mags instead of using FMJ because the DSR has the highest penetration in the game and doesn't get a benefit from FMJ unless you shoot 6 people with 1 shot while they are running.

The SVU:
    Suppressor decreases center speed (increases recoil) and makes headshots 2 shot kill so it's not really worth using.
    The SVU also has 12 round clip so extended mags is worthless as well, and adds +10% reload time (slower reload), If you want to really use the SVU effectively, use fast mags with variable zoom and then crouch or prone to help with the spread.

The Balista:
    Acog and Iron sights are both very good on this weapon, but a little thing you probably didn't know is that you can hold your breath while ADS with Acog and Iron sights on snipers....It helps a ton.

The XPR:
    This gun gets a HUGE benefit from changing your stances, when crouched it has 20-30% less recoil and up to 60% less when proned. It's also the slowest reloading sniper so fast mags is a good choice, and variable zoom/acog makes it feel better.

Also just FYI:
    - For one shot kills, you cannot kill a freshly stunned/shocked enemy because tactical grenades do 10% damage so they are not at full health.
    - The ADS delay was removed from all guns making laser sight not effect your ADS spread so do not use it unless you are no scoping.
    - Toughness....use that s#!t...
    - again....FMJ DOES NOT ADD DAMAGE, ONLY PENETRATION!
  17. Holy Jesus

Thanks for the feedback, but you'll notice in my post I never once actually said FMJ added damage (If I did, please point it out. I've read it twice now). All I said is that it makes hitmarkers with the DSR less likely to occur which is true. Most of the time that you get a DSR hitmarker it's likely you're shooting through cover. Either that or you hit them in the foot, which FMJ wouldn't help at all.

Red text - The laser sight is a ridiculously stupid attachment to use at all on any sniper. It doesn't help hip firing at all unless you're completely stupid and don't know where you gun is pointing in the first place.

For your comments on the SVU you'll notice I suggested playing Hardcore modes with that gun. In which case one shot kills are very prevalent even with a suppressor. One shot kills still occur with the suppressed SVU when shooting someones foot in hardcore.

Tactical grenades don't do damage unless they directly hit or land within a short radius of the person. I can't put this in the OP unless you can prove otherwise. I've whored stun grenades before and still come out with 20-30 OHK.

Also, where are you getting these percentages from that I've highlighted yellow in your post?

I'm sorry if it looks like I'm trying to be an *** because I'm truly not.
  18. Omniscient Gamer

Omniscient Gamer Contributor

Like I said, the DSR's penetration value is so high that even with FMJ it wouldn't change it's penetration. You never said it would increase damage, but I was saying it so others understand.
    Laser sight: It is but I see it way to often and some youtubers say it helps which it doesn't.
    SVU: I understand but it was worth mentioning for those who want to play core with it. But also note suppressor changes it's penetration value from sniper to low AR such as the Type-25.

Tactical grenades do deal damage like you said but if you flash someone and they get within 6 meters of the flash it deals enough damage for 3 seconds to stop OSKOs.

Also the percentages I've tested at 120 FPS with my PC and posted on denkersons forums with Drift0r also making videos using my statistics.

I know you're not and neither am I, I just want to give the best advice possible
    Holy Jesus likes this.
  19. Heavens Grenade

Heavens Grenade Brick Squad

Oh, I never even play/played hardcore TDM so I wouldn't have known.
    I still prefer to play hardcore kill confirmed though since you can camp tags. May provide a few extra kills.
  20. Lapis Lazuli

That really does help =D and i like using the XPR on bonus because you get less kills in hardcore, and more of a chance when getting shot at. but the blood thirsties are gonna be a b!Tch