• Thread starter Denominal
  • Start date
  • Views 519
D

Denominal

GTA V Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Is there anywhere I can advertise my forum for free? I don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars for google ads because I already spend 200$ on the forum itself.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
Is there anywhere I can advertise my forum for free? I don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars for google ads because I already spend 200$ on the forum itself.
This isn't the section for this to be posted, really.

However, if you need to advertise your forum, you can try mentioning on appropriate other sites, on Reddit, YouTube videos, or have your friends generally share your forums URL, social media, etc.

Google AdSense, AdWords, etc., can help, but it's definitely guaranteed to increase your traffic.

lowpro

lowpro

Professional Abecedarian
Programmer Mythical Veteran Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
You can get free Google ad credit (generally 25,50, or $100 worth) that's helpful as a jumpstart. I know I got a $100 voucher free for just signing up.

But besides you have to do it all yourself, although if you spam it you're not going to do as well, I suggest you try suggesting it in semi-relevant situations.

Also, why $200 for a forum? So many cheaper solutions are out there until you get going.

D

Denominal

GTA V Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
This isn't the section for this to be posted, really.

However, if you need to advertise your forum, you can try mentioning on appropriate other sites, on Reddit, YouTube videos, or have your friends generally share your forums URL, social media, etc.

Google AdSense, AdWords, etc., can help, but it's definitely guaranteed to increase your traffic.
I know this wasn't the right section but I struggled on what to post it in and lowpro lowpro where did you get the ad credit?

lowpro

lowpro

Professional Abecedarian
Programmer Mythical Veteran Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
I know this wasn't the right section but I struggled on what to post it in and lowpro lowpro where did you get the ad credit?
I have a feeling it's because I'm a student and it might have come from something like that, although it could have also been the first time you sign up. I got it physically in the mail so I'd put my real address. It's been to long I can't remember more.

P

pwfdc

Bright Idea Programmer Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Wow, okay.
First off, please tell me you spent $200 on XenForo and a server and not IPB...god I hope you didn't spend it on IPB. XenForo is MUCH better and has a lot more.
Although if you're more focuses on things like Blog, Nexus, and things off that sort...I guess IPB is pretty mature for it. But I digress, for forums...yeah go XenForo for paid forum software.

As for advertising, if it's another gaming forum...good luck, there's millions of them.
If it's for a clan, I think forum is a wrong way to go.
If it's for "programming/coding/hacking", please know what you're doing.

Really it comes down to this...
  1. Is it a forum that is based around a topic you love and can generate site traffic (ie, a book series, a certain idea, a religious group, etc.)?
  2. Are you using nulled software? Most people don't realize this, but there's hidden things in nulled software/add ons that can steal user's information and/or rank down your site in Google.
  3. Who's your host? You know those, "is this site safe?" sites. Yeah, check those every so often. I've actually noticed a couple times that one of my servers was in "India" and my host lied and said it was in America. It was deemed unsafe because of server history. So I switched hosts.
  4. Just google SEO techniques. You'll find helpful information. Also finding SEO plugins will help too.
  5. Put. In. Content. And no, I don't mean RSS feeders. Like actually post; BE ACTIVE. The more content you have, the more people will come. You can't expect users to come and post content themselves.
  6. Also, don't spam advertise. It's not good to you or your site if you have people there who are only there because you spamtised it.
  7. Make sure the forum is set up well. Don't let it look all cheesy and noob. Make it unique.

D

Denominal

GTA V Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Wow, okay.
First off, please tell me you spent $200 on XenForo and a server and not IPB...god I hope you didn't spend it on IPB. XenForo is MUCH better and has a lot more.
Although if you're more focuses on things like Blog, Nexus, and things off that sort...I guess IPB is pretty mature for it. But I digress, for forums...yeah go XenForo for paid forum software.

As for advertising, if it's another gaming forum...good luck, there's millions of them.
If it's for a clan, I think forum is a wrong way to go.
If it's for "programming/coding/hacking", please know what you're doing.

Really it comes down to this...
  1. Is it a forum that is based around a topic you love and can generate site traffic (ie, a book series, a certain idea, a religious group, etc.)?
  2. Are you using nulled software? Most people don't realize this, but there's hidden things in nulled software/add ons that can steal user's information and/or rank down your site in Google.
  3. Who's your host? You know those, "is this site safe?" sites. Yeah, check those every so often. I've actually noticed a couple times that one of my servers was in "India" and my hostied and said it was in America. It was deemed unsafe because of server history. So I switched hosts.
  4. Just google SEO techniques. You'll find helpful information. Also finding SEO plugins will help too.
  5. Put. In. Content. And no, I don't mean RSS feeders. Like actually post; BE ACTIVE. The more content you have, the more people will come. You can't expect users to come and post content themselves.
  6. Also, don't spam advertise. It's not good to you or your site if you have people there who are only there because you spamtised it.
  7. Make sure the forum is set up well. Don't let it look all cheesy and noob. Make it unique.
Yes it's another gaming forum but i'm determined.

Yes, I bought xenforo.
I have a SSL certificate.
I hired a hacker to find backdoors to my site, found 2, fixed them.
DDoS Protection, all that.

And anyway, you're way off topic, my question was how can I get advertising, not on tips, I am an expert web developer and I don't need tips, I need answers.

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
I am an expert web developer and I don't need tips, I need answers.
If you're an expert then you'd know where to look and ask. Typically, when signing up for ad-sense they will spot you some credit, I got offered $100 when I signed up w/o a site to link with it.

S

Sinnergy

Reaction score
Sin$
Wow, okay.
Can you please provide more reasoning for this. I may be out of the loop but to me IPS4 looks like a pretty solid platform. Did they flop? is it like vB5?

Honestly I look at xenforo and just see a platform that is still ruined by the internet brands lawsuit.

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
Can you please provide more reasoning for this. I may be out of the loop but to me IPS4 looks like a pretty solid platform. Did they flop? is it like vB5?

Honestly I look at xenforo and just see a platform that is still ruined by the internet brands lawsuit.
XenForo has been making strides and IMO is a way better environment for basically everything you could want in a forum.

P

pwfdc

Bright Idea Programmer Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$

Honestly, in terms of price. They're both nearly the same for the base system; but I would never suggest IP anything to anyone unless they're focus is on selling and things of the sort. I used the 3.x branch so I've never worked with the 4.x branch, well a little. I mean; I may buy a license for it at some point. Well in price, the base license and yearly renewal for XenForo is ~$180 and yearly for IPS4 is ~$225. This doesn't include the add-on packages, IPS4 is paid in 6 month terms; however I'm not sure if they do what XenForo does and just make it so you can't update to the newest releases or if they just cut you off completely.
Honestly they're both great platforms for how much they cost.
However, I look at the IP system like this; a mature community who wants to be able to have a blog system, and the site sells stuff and is interactive in the form of calender's and so on. Like a social site more than forum. Although it's technically a forum. I guess you can says it's a WordPress, Forum platform.
However, there are many many add-ons for XenForo for blogging and so on. Some may cost you $25-$50, but it's a one time rather than paying $75 with a $20 renewal fee annually.
It's really hard to compare because they're both so different, so mature, but so the same. It's a weird mixture for me. I know this site runs XenForo, but I've seen JRNetwork run IPB and they're successful.
However, let me throw in there. vB5 is a joke.

Top Bottom
Login
Register