1. Want to help spread the Se7ensins cheer throughout the PC gaming community? Check out a little project one of our staff members is working on for CS:GO! More information concerning this can be found by clicking here.

[FL Studio] How to make chill, trippy, songs like XXYYXX?

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by Triiistan, Feb 18, 2013 with 11 replies and 6,644 views.

1. Triiistan

Triiistan Contributor

Hey guys, I am starting to make my own music now and I was wondering if anyone knew how to make slow-type, trippy, relaxing beats like XXYYXX. If you haven't heard of him before, just listen to 1 track of him below.

I am using FL Studio to make my beats. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. RadioactiveSkin

RadioactiveSkin Member

Learn how to use the program.​

Learn the elements of the music you want to make (As in, Dubstep is 140 bpm, has a heavy emphasis on the 3rd beat, yaddayadda)​

Incorporate the elements of the genre​

Use them to spin your own stuff.​

Sorry, but you're asking us "How do I be creative?" No one can show you how to do that. There are a bunch of tutorials on youtube on how to use certain features of FL studio. Beyond that, it's your own creativity.​

Snake likes this.
  3. Triiistan

Triiistan Contributor

Thanks, I was actually just wondering like the name of the instrument in the background. Not the drums.

4. RadioactiveSkin

RadioactiveSkin Member

Most of the time it's not an actual instrument, but some other sound warped, or some custom sound made on Sytrus or something similar.

What it takes is an UNDERSTANDING of the components of the program. What each little dial and all that does.

The thing that so many people do that screws them up is that they try to do too much too quickly. What they end up doing is COPYING whatever they're watching without actually understanding what they actually did.

The best advice I can give, if you just got FL, is to look up tutorials and FIDDLE with the program. Play with it. Read everything. Understand it before you actually try to use it.

If you think that's long and tedious, welcome to the reason why not many people do this.

5. Triiistan

Triiistan Contributor

Thanks, gonna def. take this advice! :smile:

6. lowpro

lowpro Common Sense is not so Common

Wait, you mean actually take time to do something?! Who does that nowadays?! :wink:

OP: Yeah just mess around with it. I got to know FL a some (enough for some simple stuff), but I'm not creative at all lol, so I don't do it anymore. Let me know when you make your first legit beat though!

7. Triiistan

Triiistan Contributor

Thanks, let me know what you think; I am still purely messing around.

The West Coast is finished for now, and the other one is an intro I might use for a track in the future.
    https://soundcloud.com/t_rez

8. Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl Spookynatural Retired

You should make it with ProTools.

OT: Glad to hear you're making your own music. Best of luck on your journey.

9. Triiistan

Triiistan Contributor

Thanks, and I am no where near being rich, haha! :smile:

10. Cosmic Owl

Haha, it is quite a lot of money. I'd really suggest trying it out at some point. Zmix (one of my favorite video game music remixers) does his music with it, I believe. It's also very worth while to invest in some home studio equipment. :smile:

11. Triiistan

Triiistan Contributor

Yeah, I'll def. get it at some point. Just using what I can for now. Can you check out the beat I made? https://soundcloud.com/t_rez

12. Cosmic Owl

Beats are fairly solid. Good work.