What's new

Question Difference between Apps and Tweaks?

• Thread starter HangtimePro
  • Start date
  • Views 617
HangtimePro

HangtimePro

Permanently Plugged In
Mr. Nice Guy Forum Addict Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I just wanted to verify this. Is the only difference between these two that Apps don't require the dev to make it available for the current jailbreak version, while tweaks do?

Operating System
  1. iOS
Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
MotM Bright Idea 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
I just wanted to verify this. Is the only difference between these two that Apps don't require the dev to make it available for the current jailbreak version, while tweaks do?
Nah, apps are just that, apps. GBA4iOS would be considered a jailbreak app. A tweak is something installed on the device that is only there to modify something. If you want to totally avoid the confusing stuff, just refer to anything from Cydia as a package.

HangtimePro

HangtimePro

Permanently Plugged In
Mr. Nice Guy Forum Addict Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Nah, apps are just that, apps. GBA4iOS would be considered a jailbreak app. A tweak is something installed on the device that is only there to modify something. If you want to totally avoid the confusing stuff, just refer to anything from Cydia as a package.
I see. Would apps be required to be updated to the latest firmware as well in order for them not to crash the Springboard? What has me confused is that some apps are referred to tweaks as well, for example "f.lux".

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
I see. Would apps be required to be updated to the latest firmware as well in order for them not to crash the Springboard? What has me confused is that some apps are referred to tweaks as well, for example "f.lux".
Most people don't know the difference or don't care so they use the words very loosely. Nope, apps that crash on the springboard are simply not compatible with whatever firmware you are on.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
GBA4iOS would be considered a jailbreak app.
Ehh. I'd say it counts more as a regular app than a jailbreak-app. Mostly because it's signed with a legit enterprise certificate, and it can be installed on any device.

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
Ehh. I'd say it counts more as a regular app than a jailbreak-app. Mostly because it's signed with a legit enterprise certificate, and it can be installed on any device.
At the same time, those certificates it's being signed with get revoked every few weeks. If you want an installation that won't have any issues, you really have to go with installing it through Cydia.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
At the same time, those certificates it's being signed with get revoked every few weeks. If you want an installation that won't have any issues, you really have to go with installing it through Cydia.
Strangely enough, I installed it a couple months ago, like the day before that certificate had expired. I never had any issues with it. Dunno if it just bugged out, or wut.

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
Strangely enough, I installed it a couple months ago, like the day before that certificate had expired. I never had any issues with it. Dunno if it just bugged out, or wut.
Really? Huh, well...ayyyy nice job. That is really weird, haven't heard of that happening before.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Really? Huh, well...ayyyy nice job. That is really weird, haven't heard of that happening before.
Yeah, it's been sitting there for quite some time. My friend who also installed it a few days before that certificated had expired, hers told her that the certificate was invalid and the app can't be used. Dunno how I got away with it.

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, it's been sitting there for quite some time. My friend who also installed it a few days before that certificated had expired, hers told her that the certificate was invalid and the app can't be used. Dunno how I got away with it.
Well it sitting there and it properly working are two different things. It checks for the authenticity of the certificate when you open the application and use it for a bit. If it gets past that point, then I have no idea how you got it to work.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Well it sitting there and it properly working are two different things. It checks for the authenticity of the certificate when you open the application and use it for a bit. If it gets past that point, then I have no idea how you got it to work.
I use it occasionally for about 2-3 hours at a time. Guess I must have gotten lucky. Or maybe something I have installed is making it work? Who knows.

Top Bottom
Login
Register