What's new

Discussion Current Intel CPUs cheaper when Skylake releases?

ZMOT

ZMOT

Steve Harvey
AzzidReign Jr Fabled Veteran Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
How much cheaper do you think the current i5s and motherboards will go down when the new chipset arrives? I'm looking to upgrade from my old AMD CPU and use the AMD in a portable PC build I can take to friends house and LAN parties we have.

Monopolyman

Monopolyman

PC Gamer and Tech Enthusiast
Retired
Mr. Nice Guy Tutorial Creator Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
Z170 and Skylake has already been released. The performance is really anti-climatic, and since all current motherboards are DDR4 it seems to be for a different market than current chipsets. It's possible this could change in the future though. Regardless, I don't think prices will go much lower (both retail and aftermarket) than they are now. If you want to save money, go for used hardware (I suggest /r/hardwareswap) and less expensive chipsets.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Z170 and Skylake has already been released. The performance is really anti-climatic, and since all current motherboards are DDR4 it seems to be for a different market than current chipsets. It's possible this could change in the future though. Regardless, I don't think prices will go much lower (both retail and aftermarket) than they are now. If you want to save money, go for used hardware (I suggest /r/hardwareswap) and less expensive chipsets.
The performance will show better once the new instruction sets are actually put in place.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
They aren't on the consumer SKUs though.
AVX3 is Xeon only? Really? Intel never mentioned showing all the skylake features.

So I guess its just the new DX12 features & slight improvements for desktop users then. Still cannot recommend Haswell over Skylake when Skylake is supporting DDR4, better overclocking, better mobo's, better chipsets and not much difference overall build price.

Monopolyman

Monopolyman

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
AVX3 is Xeon only? Really? Intel never mentioned showing all the skylake features.
Yeah. I found the entire release of Skylake to be really anti-climatic. I was really hoping for something more.
So I guess its just the new DX12 features & slight improvements for desktop users then. Still cannot recommend Haswell over Skylake when Skylake is supporting DDR4, better overclocking, better mobo's, better chipsets and not much difference overall build price.
This is true. However, for gaming, I don't think it's worth going to Z170 if you already have DDR3 and can save a couple of bucks.

denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
MotM End of the Year 2014 Trifecta
Reaction score
Sin$
Unless you find it second hand, retail will be same probably.

ZMOT

ZMOT

Steve Harvey
AzzidReign Jr Fabled Veteran Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Have you bought from there before? I'd really like to spend less than $200 for an upgrade to what I have now. (see signature)

Monopolyman

Monopolyman

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Have you bought from there before? I'd really like to spend less than $200 for an upgrade to what I have now. (see signature)
Yes I have, it's where I got my Xeon for $150 (MSRP $300-ish iirc). As long as you use common sense and look at the sellers heatware, you should be good.

Top Bottom
Login
Register