What's new

Show Off CTRL Center v2 (New PC Build for a Friend)

Chaos

Chaos

Retired
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Mythical Veteran Scaling the Mountain
Reaction score
Sin$
My friend was recently having problems gaming on his Macbook due to low frame rate, etc, so I asked him if I could build him a PC, because I knew it would save him money. I basically copied my own build, except cut some prices (which I should have done for my own build) and threw it together. I had to change motherboards halfway through due to having BSODs all night long. It ended up being either the mobo or the CPU causing the problem, but I returned both of them just in case. I went from the ASUS Z97-AR to the Gigabyte Gaming 3 I believe. I stayed with the 4690k, but just exchanged it for another one. I had no problems building it, but ended up bending one of the pins of the CPU socket, which I believe was causing the errors throughout the night. I started the build around 8pm, had no problems until after windows was loaded and it had been an hour when all of a sudden I kept getting BSOD errors. It was constant, about every 10 minutes after restarting the machine over and over, and I was getting pissed because I didn't realize what it was. I was up until 3am running memory diagnostics and updating drivers to help find the problem, and finally gave up and went to bed. I later just said screw it and returned the motherboard and CPU because I knew it had to be either of those, and later that day it all ended well.

Purpose: Gaming and typical computer using.

Part Choices:

Motherboard: I picked up this motherboard at around $100 with a bundle from Microcenter. The motherboard has good features, lots of USB ports, and is from a reliable brand.

CPU: Had to go with the trusty i5 4690k since it is an all around great bang for the buck gaming wise as well as performance wise. I picked it up for $179 and the i7 wasn't really worth the extra $75 or so. My friend won't be overclocking any time soon, but I decided to get the unlocked version anyway.

CPU Cooler: Unlike from my build, I purchased an air cooler (which I really should have done myself.) I saved around $70 from what I spent on my own build, for the same performance.

RAM: Went with the Kingston HyperX (2x8GB) sticks clocked at 1866mhz. I plan on upgrading to 16gb sometime in the future.

GPU: I bought an ASUS GTX 970 Strix. This card is really quiet and has tons of horsepower behind that sexy heatsink, and was an easy choice.

Case: Had to go with a cheap but reliable case. In the end, it was a well thought out process which I was glad I took a price cut for (which is another thing I should have done for my own build.)

OS: My friend preferred Windows 8, so that is what I got him.

Storage: He has never used an SSD before, and wouldn't suffer from using a 7200 rpm drive, so I just decided to cut the cost more and just buy a regular hard drive, with the choice of upgrading later on down the road.

Specs:

CPU: Intel i5 4690k
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 3 LGA 1150
Memory: Kingston HyperX (2x8GB)
Storage (Primary): Western Digital Blue 1TB
Video Card: ASUS GTX 970 Strix
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600M
Case: Thermaltake Core v31
Optical Drive: Samsung drive
Monitor: 1x BenQ RL2455HM (24-Inch)

Pictures:
Again, for some reason, all the pictures I took were sideways, which I regret, but hopefully I'll figure out a way to rotate them without having to reupload them.

Sorry for all the tagging today. This is my productive thread creation day.
Echo denz Selena Gomez Adam Adam Kobe Cosmic Owl

L

Legless

Be spontaneous, be kind, be open-minded.
Reaction score
Sin$
My friend was recently having problems gaming on his Macbook due to low frame rate, etc, so I asked him if I could build him a PC, because I knew it would save him money. I basically copied my own build, except cut some prices (which I should have done for my own build) and threw it together. I had to change motherboards halfway through due to having BSODs all night long. It ended up being either the mobo or the CPU causing the problem, but I returned both of them just in case. I went from the ASUS Z97-AR to the Gigabyte Gaming 3 I believe. I stayed with the 4690k, but just exchanged it for another one. I had no problems building it, but ended up bending one of the pins of the CPU socket, which I believe was causing the errors throughout the night. I started the build around 8pm, had no problems until after windows was loaded and it had been an hour when all of a sudden I kept getting BSOD errors. It was constant, about every 10 minutes after restarting the machine over and over, and I was getting pissed because I didn't realize what it was. I was up until 3am running memory diagnostics and updating drivers to help find the problem, and finally gave up and went to bed. I later just said screw it and returned the motherboard and CPU because I knew it had to be either of those, and later that day it all ended well.

Part Choices:

Motherboard: I picked up this motherboard at around $100 with a bundle from Microcenter. The motherboard has good features, lots of USB ports, and is from a reliable brand.

CPU: Had to go with the trusty i5 4690k since it is an all around great bang for the buck gaming wise as well as performance wise. I picked it up for $179 and the i7 wasn't really worth the extra $75 or so. My friend won't be overclocking any time soon, but I decided to get the unlocked version anyway.

CPU Cooler: Unlike from my build, I purchased an air cooler (which I really should have done myself.) I saved around $70 from what I spent on my own build, for the same performance.

RAM: Went with the Kingston HyperX (2x8GB) sticks clocked at 1866mhz. I plan on upgrading to 16gb sometime in the future.

GPU: I bought an ASUS GTX 970 Strix. This card is really quiet and has tons of horsepower behind that sexy heatsink, and was an easy choice.

Case: Had to go with a cheap but reliable case. In the end, it was a well thought out process which I was glad I took a price cut for (which is another thing I should have done for my own build.)

Storage: He has never used an SSD before, and wouldn't suffer from using a 7200 rpm drive, so I just decided to cut the cost more and just buy a regular hard drive, with the choice of upgrading later on down the road.

Specs:

Pictures:
Again, for some reason, all the pictures I took were sideways, which I regret, but hopefully I'll figure out a way to rotate them without having to reupload them.

but ended up bending one of the pins of the CPU socket
How can you possibly do this? I'm assuming you applied pressure when placing it in? :tongue:

Anyway, nice build. :smile:

Chaos

Chaos

Retired
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Mythical Veteran Scaling the Mountain
Reaction score
Sin$
How can you possibly do this? I'm assuming you applied pressure when placing it in? :tongue:

Anyway, nice build. :smile:
Yeah I think I accidentally pushed down on one of the pins. I never figured out if it was the COU or the mobo, so it might not have been my fault.

Adam

Adam

MLG FaZe No Scoper
Reaction score
Sin$

Part Choices:

Specs:

Pictures:

Looks nice, personally from advice I would have used a Western Digital HDD however, it is still a great build! Well done!

Top Bottom
Login
Register