• Views 541
xDeagleModz

xDeagleModz

Mac Miller
Legendary Veteran Seasoned Veteran Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey there,

I'm wondering if anyone knows an easy way to create a proper download website. I'm looking for something like this. Something thats easy to browse (categories etc), has a good search system and looks good.

I know I will need to create a database etc, but I really can't be arsed to spend like hundreds of hours on creating something that I will only share with a couple of mates.

So yeah, my question is basically;
Is there some sort of a template database and website (With a working upload system) that I can edit and set up within a couple of hours? I've been googling but can't find anything usefull :/

Xeren

Xeren

♦♦♦ God Complex ♦♦♦
Legendary Veteran Programmer Modder
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey there,

I'm wondering if anyone knows an easy way to create a proper download website. I'm looking for something like this. Something thats easy to browse (categories etc), has a good search system and looks good.

I know I will need to create a database etc, but I really can't be arsed to spend like hundreds of hours on creating something that I will only share with a couple of mates.

Is there some sort of a template database and website (With a working upload system) that I can edit and set up within a couple of hours? I've been googling but can't find anything usefull :/
You can find a template and then you'd have to code everything in. Finding some PHP code for uploading and downloading shouldn't be very hard.

xDeagleModz

xDeagleModz

Mac Miller
Reaction score
Sin$
You can find a template and then you'd have to code everything in. Finding some PHP code for uploading and downloading shouldn't be very hard.
I actually have no clue how I would go about putting it together and linking the database properly etc. I know how to create web pages, i've learned HTML, CSS, PHP and JS in school, but I'm not really great at PHP :meh:.

Also finding a file sharing/download website template seems to be difficult, been searching for about 2 hours now and nothing proper comes up ):

ObscureCoder

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Just have a downloads table that has the link (or whatever) to where the download file is stored along w/ other information such as file type, size, category etc.
You need to know some basic PHP and create a small back-end using classes w/ PDO and create functions for fetching information on files. The concept is very basic yet in practice, you can add a ton of complex and interesting things.

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
That site looks like a forum. Most forum systems have an attachment system which will take care of the work for you.

xDeagleModz

xDeagleModz

Mac Miller
Reaction score
Sin$
That site looks like a forum. Most forum systems have an attachment system which will take care of the work for you.
How exactly would that work? Because I think if i'd use for example a XenForo theme as a download website it will not be really well ordered..

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
How exactly would that work? Because I think if i'd use for example a XenForo theme as a download website it will not be really well ordered..
If you structured it right, I don't see an issue.

J

Jake Lawrence

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I suggest making a forum based website that allows the user to upload a file(s) to the thread and write a message. If you're not wanting a forum, then I have no idea, BUT if you do then continue to read.

This can easily done with IPB and/or MyBB. You'll need a domain, server and a license for a forum board. Once all of that is payed for and you have a nice looking skin, that's if you decide to buy or make one. You can proceed to basically create a category on your website and then a forum under that category that allows file uploads when posting a thread.

B-rad

B-rad

Press On
Legendary Veteran 10th Anniversary Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey there,

Hello, xDeagleModz xDeagleModz I recommend CMS.

CMS stands for Content-Management-System. Which in other words would be relevant to the top-links and forum combined.

What would be most helpful for a download website your talking about is a CMS software that allows forum integration.

I would like you to check out Php-Nuke. It's a free software and has been around for a long time. It's has phpbb3 forum software built in which is also free and allows for your forum to be integrated into your website.

Php-Nuke provides you with a section specifically so other users can upload software, a easy to use navigation system, and a phpbb3 forum integration which sets the forum up to be inside your website so you can customize it however you want.

There are many other CMS softwares to choose from if you found out you did not want to use php-nuke but take it from me, the software was specifically designed for uploads and downloads as it was made for this.

Good luck!

xDeagleModz

xDeagleModz

Mac Miller
Reaction score
Sin$
Hello, xDeagleModz xDeagleModz I recommend CMS.

CMS stands for Content-Management-System. Which in other words would be relevant to the top-links and forum combined.

What would be most helpful for a download website your talking about is a CMS software that allows forum integration.

I would like you to check out Php-Nuke. It's a free software and has been around for a long time. It's has phpbb3 forum software built in which is also free and allows for your forum to be integrated into your website.

Php-Nuke provides you with a section specifically so other users can upload software, a easy to use navigation system, and a phpbb3 forum integration which sets the forum up to be inside your website so you can customize it however you want.

There are many other CMS softwares to choose from if you found out you did not want to use php-nuke but take it from me, the software was specifically designed for uploads and downloads as it was made for this.

Good luck!
Now thats really helpful man! Going to check that out first thing tomorrow when I wake up.

Thanks a bunch!

Top Bottom
Login
Register