What's new

Compare your modding days from MW2 - BO3, Whats Changed?

• Thread starter iUseFreeboot x
  • Start date
  • Views 3,857

How much has changed since the modding days of MW2?

• F*** All

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Gotten Easier IMO

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Meh still lame

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Alot harder, now that the real time coders such as CraigChrist has left...

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Whats the Point

Votes: 22 44.0%

• Total voters
iUseFreeboot x

iUseFreeboot x

Reaction score
Sin$
Hello Se7ensins its been a while, hung around for a while from the days of cod4 modding up to MW2, then quit softly; as in GTFO in hindsight knowing things will quickly go downhill. To my excitement i was right.

I want to know your opinion, Do you think its still the same since the days of MW2, Whats changed, Is it easier? Harder?, Post your opinions, i need to catch up with the crowd :wink:

(mods i know this isnt in the right section but i need to appeal the right crowd, if you read this please give me a couple views untill you move this thread. your only doing your job but i apply to the selfless person you are to give me the smallest time to ask an important question :smile: thanks)

FatPhony

FatPhony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Reasons why modding COD nowadays is stupid = KV Killers
And we a soon gonna experience KV's being rare....

Amphium

Amphium

Insert Custom Title Here
Reaction score
Sin$
Back then you didn't need stealth but KV prices were very high and they didn't last very long.
Once stealth was needed there was still no free method of going online (except for that one method around September 2012 I think)
2013 it was $10-20 a day to go online with stealth and there wasn't a lot of servers, offline files weren't really a thing (at least publicly) & KVs were usually at least $20+
Nowadays you find kids using Offline files or free servers & kv prices are really cheap (you can get them for like $7 now I think)

CraigChrist8239

CraigChrist8239

VIP
VIP
Hardened Veteran Experienced Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I've been modding CoD games since CoD4 so I guess I'll weigh in here:

2 major differences I see. First off, the community is alot dumber. Back in CoD4/WaW days, everyone was reversing trying to look for new mods. Everyone had to hex edit their profile to mod it, as there was no profile editing tools to give you mods in CoD. Now no one is reversing, it's all just copy and paste tools that poke memory. Granted JTAGs/RGHs/Devs make things alot easier, but then just about everybody had a retail.

Secondly is that the people actually reversing know alot more. I blame this on PDBs for CoD4, Bo1 and 2 and Ghosts being leaked. While the community is dumber, me and everyone I see actually still reversing knows much much more. If I could've reversed the game assets and FFs like I should have back then, I would've known every single thing there is to edit in the savegame/profile. I wish I could go back to then...

I don't go online with my dev so KVs and going online, like other people mentioning, I haven't really noticed.
tl;dr: Modders in general are ALOT dumber, but people actually making the mods are alot smarter.
EDIT: For example, this thread wouldn't have existed back in CoD4 days just for the simple fact that if anyone had free time to make a thread like this, they would've used that free time to try to find a new mod.

FatPhony

FatPhony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I've been modding CoD games since CoD4 so I guess I'll weigh in here:

2 major differences I see. First off, the community is alot dumber. Back in CoD4/WaW days, everyone was reversing trying to look for new mods. Everyone had to hex edit their profile to mod it, as there was no profile editing tools to give you mods in CoD. Now no one is reversing, it's all just copy and paste tools that poke memory. Granted JTAGs/RGHs/Devs make things alot easier, but then just about everybody had a retail.

Secondly is that the people actually reversing know alot more. I blame this on PDBs for CoD4, Bo1 and 2 and Ghosts being leaked. While the community is dumber, me and everyone I see actually still reversing knows much much more. If I could've reversed the game assets and FFs like I should have back then, I would've known every single thing there is to edit in the savegame/profile. I wish I could go back to then...

I don't go online with my dev so KVs and going online, like other people mentioning, I haven't really noticed.
tl;dr: Modders in general are ALOT dumber, but people actually making the mods are alot smarter.
Craig aren't you the modding hero i hear all the time?

Cellular Web

Cellular Web

Where wolf's ears are, wolf's teeth are near.
10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
What made him a hero?
I'm new around here.
He's a legend from all the stuff he has released. Especially in the CoD4-Mw2 era. His MPData editor was a big one for Mw2.

CraigChrist8239

CraigChrist8239

VIP
VIP
Hardened Veteran Experienced Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I've done a lot of things for a lot of games, mostly CoD4, WaW, MW2, BO2 and now BO3 (devkit, not retail anymore). Most of the things I've made, especially lately, I just stopped posting.

Just for the record I don't consider myself a great modder/coder, I just consider most other people to be terrible at it.

FatPhony

FatPhony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I've done a lot of things for a lot of games, mostly CoD4, WaW, MW2, BO2 and now BO3 (devkit, not retail anymore). Most of the things I've made, especially lately, I just stopped posting.

Just for the record I don't consider myself a great modder/coder, I just consider most other people to be terrible at it.
One question, When will the KV shortage appear?
Also, Thanks for being critic, nobody is that anymore.

Amphium

Amphium

Insert Custom Title Here
Reaction score
Sin$
One question, When will the KV shortage appear?
Also, Thanks for being critic, nobody is that anymore.
KVs will start running short when they stop making 360s. So it would probably be a while considering that 360's are still in production, and for every million consoles produced the modding community usually goes through about 100k or so I feel like.

Jambeans

Jambeans

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I was back in the day with CoD4/WaW. When people actually knew what they were doing and when there was not many people with JTAG's. But now it's filled with little kids;that leech, steal and think they can reverse. Their's no fun in it anymore lack of motivation and self-esteem due to people stealing your code or selling it for ridiculous amounts of money. Research was shared back then and not sold. I preferred cod4 & waw back in the day was the best two sold games and will always be my favorite. Like nazi zombies was just pure awesome without mods! You'd just wait for the next map release if I could go back to those days where I'd sit my whole school term on that game playing it till like 5am everyday getting my rank up or trying to get the highest round in zombies... man those days sure were good! But can't go back to the now, I don't like the call of duty's today due to copied sh*t it's all the same now 'futuristic' all the same sh*t since black ops 1.

Bring back the old times!! Where everything was actually researched and not leeched.

This probably didn't make no sense was just typing what was on my mind. ( Sorry for grammar, spelling and punctuation. ) 
KVs will start running short when they stop making 360s. So it would probably be a while considering that 360's are still in production, and for every million consoles produced the modding community usually goes through about 100k or so I feel like.

KeyVaults will never run short trust me.

Last edited:
J

jarredthegreat

Reaction score
Sin$
will we ever see black ops 3 modding services on xbox one? i would pay a lot of money for a service like that... eta on such services?

420Kyle

420Kyle

Getting There
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
will we ever see black ops 3 modding services on xbox one? i would pay a lot of money for a service like that... eta on such services?
No not until someone manages to run unsigned code on it but nobody is even trying as its to hard.

FatPhony

FatPhony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
2008 = Golden age of modding in 7th gen consoles
2015 = R.I.P 7th gen console modding
2016 = PS4 get's hacked
2017 = 8th gen modding awareness begins, big ban wave on CFW PS4's
2018 = Xbox one get's hacked
2019 = All hacks get patched
2020 = New security systems launch against modding
2021 = New unpatchable hack for both consoles
2022 = Modding advances, figuring out how to go online without ban
2023 = stealth required

That's how i think it will go for 7/8th gen modding tbh.

Gazelle

Gazelle

Seasoned Member
Services
Reaction score
Sin$
2008 = Golden age of modding in 7th gen consoles
2015 = R.I.P 7th gen console modding
2016 = PS4 get's hacked
2017 = 8th gen modding awareness begins, big ban wave on CFW PS4's
2018 = Xbox one get's hacked
2019 = All hacks get patched
2020 = New security systems launch against modding
2021 = New unpatchable hack for both consoles
2022 = Modding advances, figuring out how to go online without ban
2023 = stealth required

That's how i think it will go for 7/8th gen modding tbh.
All that will happen within the next 5 years i think.

FatPhony

FatPhony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
All that will happen within the next 5 years i think.
Probably yeah, but we need to speed a little up then, all i know for the PS4 and X1 is PS4's kernel has been exploited.
And the X1's NAND has been readed.

FatPhony

FatPhony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
And the fact the only we really can trust in giving us a CFW for PS4 and a Hacked NAND for X1 is: Team Xecuter , Geohot and CTurt.

Top Bottom
Login
Register