What's new

Braindump Prerelease - Dump Game Contents On Any System Version!

Red

Red

VIP
Retired
Scaling the Mountain Mythical Veteran MotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
In the past few days, @fail_cluez on twitter has working on a new tool called braindump. I'd hereby like to announce a pre-release of the tool, meant to help people interested in ROM hacking to get set up faster.

WHAT'S BRAINDUMP?
braindump is a 3DS userland homebrew application that can dump decrypted contents (both ExeFS and RomFS) of any 3DS game. This includes cartridge games, but also content obtained from the eShop and even some system applications. Even better yet, braindump runs on any system version since 9.0, including the most recent one.

WHAT IS IT USEFUL FOR?
Currently, it's for the most only useful for dumping game assets: Graphics, sounds, 3D models, etc. In particular, this should be useful for anyone interested in game modding.

braindump's feature set has been covered by [Click here to view this link] and [Click here to view this link] before, however braindump provides a few major advantages:
  • it runs on any system version newer than 9.0, including the most recent one. uncard and Decrypt9 are limited to system versions 9.2 or below.
  • it dumps cartridge games, eShop content, and (some) system applications in a uniform way. All three of these had to be decrypted with different commands before.
  • it's more convenient, since it can be launched directly from the Homebrew Launcher and only requires one operation step from starting to the decrypted content. uncart and Decrypt9 had to be launched through a separate program, and after dumping a game you had to restart your console and run another chain of commands to actually decrypt things.

DOWNLOAD AND USAGE
Binaries are available on [Click here to view this link]. Note that I'm releasing the tool earlier than planned to make the HANS application shipping with *hax 2.5 more accessible to the broader masses (see below). For now, I'll keep the source code private, but rest assured it will be published as soon as I get to implementing the full feature set that was planned.

Extract the archive into your SD card's 3ds folder. The full path to the 3dsx should be "sd:/3ds/braindump/braindump.3dsx", and next to that file there should be an xml file. braindump must be launched from 3ds_hb_menu (3dslink or CIAs won't work). Upon launching, you will be asked for a target title - this is the application that will be dumped. Note that the tool will start dumping immediately after selecting the target title, so better make sure you have enough free space on your SD card.

Sorry for the lack of further instructions -- I'd rather get this thing out ASAP to make it useful for the more knowledgeable people. I'm sure we can clear up any confusion in the next few days, though :wink:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How to ROM hack?!
At this stage, I cannot give you full instructions on how to mod a game, but here are some quick hints:
  • Dump the game contents using braindump on your 3DS. This will place the files exefs.bin and romfs.bin on your SD card (in a subdirectory with a 16-digit number as its name)
  • On your PC, extract the two files using [Click here to view this link]. Use "ctrtool --intype=romfs --romfsdir=romfsdir romfs.bin" and "ctrtool --intype=exefs --exefsdir=exefsdir --decompresscode exefs.bin" to unpack the romfs and exefs, respectively
  • Game modders will be interested in the contents extracted to romfsdir. Modify whatever you like, and repack the contents using [Click here to view this link]
  • Put the new romfs binary on your SD card. Start HANS on your 3DS and point it to the modded game, and make it replace the romfs with your new image. Note that for HANS to detect the romfs binary, you'll need to remove the first 0x1000 bytes from the romfs binary.

Can I use the dumps with Citra?
Unfortunately, not yet.

Will this break my 3DS?
It runs entirely in userspace, hence it's unlikely anything bad will happen. No guarantees though; I take no responsibility for anything that happens as a direct or indirect consequence of running this software on your 3DS.

creator: https://twitter.com/fail_cluez
Source: http://gbatemp.net/threads/braindump-prerelease-dump-game-contents-on-any-system-version.400920/

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register