What's new

Solved Bootable USB for Windows Using Linux?

• Thread starter HowAmI
  • Start date
  • Views 632
HowAmI

HowAmI

Incognito
Reaction score
Sin$
So right now I'm stuck using Linux Mint Cinnamon 18 but I want to go back to Windows, I OEM installed Linux onto my HDD as Windows broke so now I want to go back to Windows using an .ISO burned to a USB but when I boot up and try to boot from my USB I just go back to Mint. Anyways what I'm asking is does anybody have any good tutorials on how to properly burn my ISO to my USB and boot from it as I've tried many but all of them fail.

Operating System
  1. Windows
Habofro

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Bug Finder Services
Reaction score
Sin$
So right now I'm stuck using Linux Mint Cinnamon 18 but I want to go back to Windows, I OEM installed Linux onto my HDD as Windows broke so now I want to go back to Windows using an .ISO burned to a USB but when I boot up and try to boot from my USB I just go back to Mint. Anyways what I'm asking is does anybody have any good tutorials on how to properly burn my ISO to my USB and boot from it as I've tried many but all of them fail.
You can't burn an ISO to a USB key.

You'll either have to burn the ISO on a disk, mount the iso using Daemon Tool, or find a usb bootable windows installer.

CodeFire

CodeFire

Reaction score
Sin$
Well, Either you can burn by first installing virtualbox, or VMware. then, create the virtual machine, mount the iso, and install windows, then when that is done, you could use a bootable usb creator. I would suggest Rufus though, as its easy to use, a really small file (I think under 1mb) and fast (Don't worry, its virus free). You could do that or try running Rufus through wine, although its really hard to set up the usb for use with wine. There is also a bootable usb creator for Linux, such as UNetbootin, but it never worked for me.

Last edited:
HowAmI

HowAmI

Incognito
Reaction score
Sin$
You can't burn an ISO to a USB key.

You'll either have to burn the ISO on a disk, mount the iso using Daemon Tool, or find a usb bootable windows installer.
Well you can burn ISOs to a USB how do you think people boot Linux from a USB without a disk. 
Well, Either you can burn by first installing virtualbox, or VMware. then, create the virtual machine, mount the iso, and install windows, then when that is done, you could use a bootable usb creator. I would suggest Rufus though, as its easy to use, a really small file (I think under 1mb) and fast (Don't worry, its virus free). You could do that or try running Rufus through wine, although its really hard to set up the usb for use with wine. There is also a bootable usb creator for Linux, such as UNetbootin, but it never worked for me.
RUFUS is for Windows so if you're telling me to use it inside a VM then ok but if not then that won't work. UNE never worked for me because of the stupid root folder. The bootable USB creator default software works just my computer refuses to see my ISO on the flash drive.

Life

Life

Graphics Are Life
Artist Reporter A Milli
Reaction score
Sin$
https://www.google.com/amp/www.techspot.com/amp/guides/809-run-linux-from-usb-drive/

CodeFire

CodeFire

Reaction score
Sin$
Just try the VM thing I suggested and report back if it works. When I had the same problem (I was running Ubuntu), I tried UNetbootin and it didn't work so I just did it in a virtual machine. Either you can do that or just burn it to a dvd if you have any.

HowAmI

HowAmI

Incognito
Reaction score
Sin$
Just try the VM thing I suggested and report back if it works. When I had the same problem (I was running Ubuntu), I tried UNetbootin and it didn't work so I just did it in a virtual machine. Either you can do that or just burn it to a dvd if you have any.
I tried Virtual Box but the problem is it requires a CD Rom so that makes it useless for me. 
I'll give it a shot. Thanks

CodeFire

CodeFire

Reaction score
Sin$
Did you mount the .ISO in the virtual machine settings? And also, make sure your windows iso isn't corrupt. But Here's a pic: (I know it says android but it's the same process)
loadedISO.png

HowAmI

HowAmI

Incognito
Reaction score
Sin$
Did you mount the .ISO in the virtual machine settings? And also, make sure your windows iso isn't corrupt. But Here's a pic: (I know it says android but it's the same process)
loadedISO.png
Thanks I didn't know about that option. (Never used a VM software system before this.)

J

JoinTheResistance

Dead to the world, alive for the journey...
Reaction score
Sin$
HowAmI

HowAmI

Incognito
Reaction score
Sin$
Top Bottom
Login
Register