What's new

Solved Best HDD for an RGH?

iNike

iNike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
My RGH comes in today. I've been reading up on laptop hard drives for it, b/c I read somewhere that it'd be better to use an internal hard drive compared to an external HDD. If this is correct, why? How would I install this hard drive on my RGH? If this is not correct, what would be a better solution, and why?

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
My RGH comes in today. I've been reading up on laptop hard drives for it, b/c I read somewhere that it'd be better to use an internal hard drive compared to an external HDD. If this is correct, why? How would I install this hard drive on my RGH? If this is not correct, what would be a better solution, and why?
On an RGH you can use and internal or external. I use an internal (because it is better) and the reason it is better is because it makes it simple. Everything goes onto that hard drive and nothing is on anything separate. The problem is that since the Xbox (and its games) check for the "Content" folder on the SATA hard drive they will not find it on anything but the SATA bus. Because of this if you use an external hard drive you cannot put stuff that goes in the "Content" folder onto it because it wont see the "Content" folder over USB.

This is a hassle because things that go into the content folder include: DLC, GOD games, profiles, saves, arcade games, etc.

For any of those files you would need to put them on a MU formatted flash drive (which have a size limit of 16GBs) that is obviously small and makes it annoying if you bring the console around with you (having to carry around the external hard drive, which needs its own power plug, and the flash drive). With a laptop drive it stays attached, never has to leave the console, and makes transportation easy.

Also if you are concerned about price do not worry. Laptop drives are indeed more expensive than standard 3.5" hard drives but there is a catch. Any external hard drive you would use would either have to be one of those pre-enclosed ones (i.e. WD My Book) or you'd have to buy a hard drive and the enclosure. The price of both of these adds up to about how much a laptop drive of the same capacity would cost (about 70-90 dollars for 1TB).

Honestly I don't know why anyone even uses external drives unless they already own it before they get the JTAG/RGH.

If it is a slim you can just pop it in the side and hold it in place with something like a packing peanut or buy an hard drive case that can be opened (that black thing that goes around the actual HD) on eBay for 5 dollars and put it in that slim. If it is a phat console you need to buy one of the phat enclosures for the hard drive on eBay for about 5-10 dollars (the shell you plug into the side that contains the hard drive) or use one from an MS hard drive you already have. You will need torx 10 and 8 screwdrivers to open it, and then you simply plug it in and close it back up.

P39 1337 Mods

P39 1337 Mods

Reaction score
Sin$
is your slim the 4gb version? if so you will need to preform a hack on your hdd that allows you to use a 250gb or higher. soo i would buy a 250 or more gb external hdd from amazon, and use that. hope i helped.

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes, I have a slim. So, when using an internal laptop HDD, you don't have to flash it or anything before putting it into the RGH? Do you need a specific HDD, or will any 2.5" laptop HDD work with the RGH Slim?
Any hard drive will work you just stick it in and format.

Mavhammer

Mavhammer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Any harddrive will work but if you format on the Xbox 360 to a FAT32 you might lose a lot of space. If this happens partition it into multiple drives so you can get your space back.

iNike

iNike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Any harddrive will work but if you format on the Xbox 360 to a FAT32 you might lose a lot of space. If this happens partition it into multiple drives so you can get your space back.
There are programs to format the HDD to a FAT 32 on the computer, correct?

Top Bottom
Login
Register