• Start date
  • Views 456
The_Notorious_BIG

The_Notorious_BIG

NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Reaction score
Sin$
b_Nq_JYg_A.png

Was watching LTT Wan Show and they brought up this graph. And It really worried me to be quite frank.

They moved onto talking AMD would have to raise the price of their products by 30% just to more or less break even. So would you pay more for AMD products to keep them in the game? I suppose this question could apply for AMD CPUs too.

L

Legless

Be spontaneous, be kind, be open-minded.
Reaction score
Sin$
b_Nq_JYg_A.png

Was watching LTT Wan Show and they brought up this graph. And It really worried me to be quite frank.

They moved onto talking AMD would have to raise the price of their products by 30% just to more or less break even. So would you pay more for AMD products to keep them in the game? I suppose this question could apply for AMD CPUs too.
Intel all the way. That sucks.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
Nvidia owns the market for GPU's and it's been that way for quite a while now.

Monopolyman

Monopolyman

PC Gamer and Tech Enthusiast
Retired
Mr. Nice Guy Tutorial Creator Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
Intel all the way. That sucks.
Intel doesn't have discrete GPUs... They probably have the majority market when it comes to graphics all together, but that's a completely different discussion.

The thing that this graph really makes me notice is the density of the new releases compared to what it used to be. Also as Linus said, nowadays there isn't a lot of "new" things other than better performance.

L

Legless

Reaction score
Sin$
Intel doesn't have discrete GPUs... They probably have the majority market when it comes to graphics all together, but that's a completely different discussion.

The thing that this graph really makes me notice is the density of the new releases compared to what it used to be. Also as Linus said, nowadays there isn't a lot of "new" things other than better performance.
I wasn't implying that. I was just saying it because I saw "AMD."

Sanctorum

Sanctorum

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
NVidia in no way "own the market for GPUs". I have an Intel and Nvidia rig but I'd go out of my way to try and recommend AMD to as many people as possible and would probably build a 2nd, all AMD rig if AMD started to die out. If AMD were to die, Intel would be the only company releasing CPUs and NVidia the only company releasing GPUs. How do you think that would work out? Not well. They could price components however the f*** they wanted and delay technology as much as they wanted. Without a competing company, it would be terrible for us as consumers. I really hope AMD can come back from this. I'm not really an AMD fan personally but it would suck. I haven't read up much on this or anything because I'm hoping it will pas fairly quickly.

The_Notorious_BIG

The_Notorious_BIG

NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Reaction score
Sin$
NVidia in no way "own the market for GPUs". I have an Intel and Nvidia rig but I'd go out of my way to try and recommend AMD to as many people as possible and would probably build a 2nd, all AMD rig if AMD started to die out. If AMD were to die, Intel would be the only company releasing CPUs and NVidia the only company releasing GPUs. How do you think that would work out? Not well. They could price components however the **** they wanted and delay technology as much as they wanted. Without a competing company, it would be terrible for us as consumers. I really hope AMD can come back from this. I'm not really an AMD fan personally but it would suck. I haven't read up much on this or anything because I'm hoping it will pas fairly quickly.

I might in my next rig go back to an AMD CPU and get that new Zen CPU. Looks like a monster from what I've read.

You're right. We can't have Intel and Nvidia owning each market, tech progression would slow down so much, and prices will probably rise dramatically

L

Legless

Reaction score
Sin$
I might in my next rig go back to an AMD CPU and get that new Zen CPU. Looks like a monster from what I've read.

You're right. We can't have Intel and Nvidia owning each market, tech progression would slow down so much, and prices will probably rise dramatically
There may be another competitor in each market. I was thinking of starting a company and slashing their prices. I'll start thinking about it more once I get my Masters in business.

Monopolyman

Monopolyman

PC Gamer and Tech Enthusiast
Retired
Mr. Nice Guy Tutorial Creator Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
NVidia in no way "own the market for GPUs". I have an Intel and Nvidia rig but I'd go out of my way to try and recommend AMD to as many people as possible and would probably build a 2nd, all AMD rig if AMD started to die out. If AMD were to die, Intel would be the only company releasing CPUs and NVidia the only company releasing GPUs. How do you think that would work out? Not well. They could price components however the **** they wanted and delay technology as much as they wanted. Without a competing company, it would be terrible for us as consumers. I really hope AMD can come back from this. I'm not really an AMD fan personally but it would suck. I haven't read up much on this or anything because I'm hoping it will pas fairly quickly.
I highly doubt AMD would ever just completely disappear. Worst case scenario, they likely get bought out by a company like Samsung.
There may be another competitor in each market. I was thinking of starting a company and slashing their prices. I'll start thinking about it more once I get my Masters in business.
Unfortunately, I think creating a company to compete with multi-billionaire tech giants would be a bit hard.

Sanctorum

Sanctorum

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
We need more competitors honestly. Having 2 companies in the GPU market, and 2 in the CPU market is not enough because if one dies, we're ****ed. Or what if both die? Then we're royally ****ed. AMD dying would be a terrible thing. I mean AM3+ is a dead socket and they're mainly focusing on APUs for now, but who knows what could come, I fully expect AMD to make a huge comeback in the CPU market. 
I highly doubt AMD would ever just completely disappear. Worst case scenario, they likely get bought out by a company like Samsung.
Hopefully, but you never know. I don't really believe AMD will die, just yet, but it's always possible and if they did, it would be a horrible, horrible thing.

L

Legless

Reaction score
Sin$

Unfortunately, I think creating a company to compete with multi-billionaire tech giants would be a bit hard.
That's a challenge I would like to take on and at least try to make something of it. Building a company is never easy anyway.

Top Bottom
Login
Register