• Thread starter The Rev
  • Start date
  • Views 8,561
The Rev

The Rev

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I take no credit for this, but I can not find where I found it, for this was many years ago. And also, another modification I've heard of from other people, that I fixed to my likings.

Things needed:​
Thin cardboard from a soda box, or poster board,
Scotch tape, or some type of tape,
And scissors.​

Difficulty Level: Easy

First Step First thing you will want to do is take your Xbox apart and find your air/fan shroud, which is a white plastic piece covering your CPU and GPU. Take it off using a flat head screw driver and pushing it into the slot at the top of the duct and pushing down on it; it should pop off.

Second Step Once you have your air/fan duct off, you'll want to cut a small square out of your cardboard that will fit in the center of your air/fan shroud and tape it in, but be sure it goes from the bottom of the motherboard to the top of the air/fan shroud for it to be fully effective, just be sure it doesn't interfere with any thing on the motherboard. The reason you put this separator here, is because the air will travel through the least resistant area. And if you'll notice, The CPU opening is very large compared to the GPU opening. Which means both fans will mostly work the CPU's opening. Once you take this piece of cardboard and make a separator out of it, each fan will be independent. One works for the CPU, and one works for the GPU.

It should look like this when the separator is in
12082007081.jpg

Third Step Now you'll want to lay the air/fan shroud back where it belongs and see if it fits correctly. If it doesn't, then do some trimming to the separator and try again. After you have it fitting good, Look at how the shroud fits around the CPU. It's snug isn't it? Then look at the GPU. The shroud doesn't even cover it! So my thought was, I need to extend that. So to do this, take your thin cardboard and cut the width of it about the width of the GPU shroud end (the really low, flat one), for length, about an inch, Long enough to cover a little of the GPU's cooling fins. And tape it to the shroud. Put the shroud back where it belongs once again and test how it fits. It should fit snug now.

It should look something like this once finished.
xbox360heatsinkmod_8.jpg

xbox360heatsinkmod_7.jpg

12082007082.jpg

This modification should cool your CPU and GPU more effectively now, because like I said, each fan has it's own job, one works the CPU, and one works the GPU.

Once again, I do not take any credit for these modifications.
And if you want your Xbox even cooler, you could do the 12v fan mod found Here.

Comrade

Comrade

Crusty Old Dude
Retired
Mythical Veteran Contest Sponsor Tutorial Creator
Reaction score
Sin$
Would this burn that cardboard paper if it got to hot?

Victoria Justice

UnCle DiiGz

Contributor
Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
i dont think it would burn it i have overheated my xbox for 30 mins with a cardboard blocking the vent and it was really hot but didn't burn it. then again my 360 case was not on it might be a different story.

R

Roskata

Reaction score
Sin$
yes, i have. But you should not use cartboard or this tape. the plastic and the wood are a very good thermal insulators! Instead i used cooking aluminum sheets and for glue i used thermal paste.
I did this after i changed my thermal paste on my Jasper, but i bought a 2$ silicon paste, so it is not a very good one ( i may have to revert to arctic silver N5 )
so my stats were CPU 48 GPU 54 ram 48
and after i coated the top of the CPU heatsync and 2sm on the side i got these mesures:
CPU 49 GPU 51 RAM 44
So basicly less air goes through the CPU heatsync now, due the more effective airflow resistance
and more air goes to the GPU heatsync
But the bottom line is that my CPU went up by 1 degree and my GPU and RAM went down with 3-4 degrees.
I have a degree in calorifics and i can say that the design of the air duct is HORRIBLE
IF Someone wants a better cooling and significantly lower ventilation noise then:
you must make all angles of the air duct 45 degrees and lower ( not like some of the curves that are 90 degrees - that is horrible) ( you decide how do do it) and the second thing that produces noise are the tiny holes of the case. You may want to cut them off, but it may cause some technical problems in the future ( like opening the case would be harder so not to damage the fans, and if you cut form the sides it would make the case less structural)
Again 2 main things cause noise in the xbox
1. the fan duct
2 the holes behind the fans and those on the sides ( remember you have to multiply them by 2 because there is an air resistance from the holes on the metal case and air resistance on the holes on the plastic case )

i for one have isulated only the CPU heatsync because i tend to open the case alot, but if someone wants to make it better and not intend to open it in the near future, then go ahead and deal with those problems, it might take you a day or two but the result would be worth it !

Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

Seasoned Member
Modder Fabled Veteran Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
This has always seemed like a big placebo to me.
The only thing that possibly makes sense is the fan divider.

Top Bottom
Login
Register