What's new

Solved A previous owner did a bolt mod on my 360, Should i fix it?

• Thread starter RetroGamers17
  • Start date
  • Views 6,229
RetroGamers17

RetroGamers17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I bought a Jasper 360 from a pawn shop and once opening it up realized that the previous owner did the bolt mod and a really good 12v mod. Which I've heard this can put too much pressure on the board and cause it to warp, He used big philips head screws instead of bolts so he didnt have to case mod it, But im wondering is the damage already done? or should i convert it back to x clamps, If so is this all i need? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Microsoft...818911?hash=item2a61d29c1f:g:cGUAAOSwezVWx47Q Is there anyway i could damage it further by relieving the pressure from the cpu/gpu? I obviously cant speak to the last owner, But being a jasper i would have to think this guy did this as a preventive measure back before people knew the problems with the bolt mod. What do you guys think?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

when I took his glass of champagne...
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I bought a Jasper 360 from a pawn shop and once opening it up realized that the previous owner did the bolt mod and a really good 12v mod. Which I've heard this can put too much pressure on the board and cause it to warp, He used big philips head screws instead of bolts so he didnt have to case mod it, But im wondering is the damage already done? or should i convert it back to x clamps, If so is this all i need? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Microsoft...818911?hash=item2a61d29c1f:g:cGUAAOSwezVWx47Q Is there anyway i could damage it further by relieving the pressure from the cpu/gpu? I obviously cant speak to the last owner, But being a jasper i would have to think this guy did this as a preventive measure back before people knew the problems with the bolt mod. What do you guys think?
I'm 50/50 on it. On one hand if it's not broke, don't fix it. Meaning leave it. You never know. Some jaspers do fail and maybe it wasn't a precautionary move. On the other hand, you should use the xclamps when possible. It's gonna be your call, you sound well enough informed. Do what seems best.

RetroGamers17

RetroGamers17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm 50/50 on it. On one hand if it's not broke, don't fix it. Meaning leave it. You never know. Some jaspers do fail and maybe it wasn't a precautionary move. On the other hand, you should use the xclamps when possible. It's gonna be your call, you sound well enough informed. Do what seems best.
Lol, Edited this post like 3 times now... But i think ill keep it this way, I think its more likely someone would fix it, then do preventative maintenance on it. And i cant afford to destroy this 360, But maybe ill give it a try when i can pickup another 360 for cheap.

Last edited:
RetroGamers17

RetroGamers17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
it should be good if you purchased it from a pawnshop also if it breaks do u got a pawnshop warranty
Yeah, i bought a 3 month garuntee, and this pawn shop doesnt check for the warrenty seals. My main worry is causing further damage, but the more i think about it, i dont think it matters anymore. I dont use my consoles enough to really put alot of stress on them. And xbox's are only getting cheaper. So i dont think its worth stressing out about (which i tend to do alot...) if someone from the community says that i should and gives a good reason i may do it, but for right now, if it isnt broken then im not gonna worry about it.

MouseHacks

MouseHacks

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, i bought a 3 month garuntee, and this pawn shop doesnt check for the warrenty seals. My main worry is causing further damage, but the more i think about it, i dont think it matters anymore. I dont use my consoles enough to really put alot of stress on them. And xbox's are only getting cheaper. So i dont think its worth stressing out about (which i tend to do alot...) if someone from the community says that i should and gives a good reason i may do it, but for right now, if it isnt broken then im not gonna worry about it.
yeah i wouldnt worry about it but how much did ur local pawn shop charge you for it ?

ZeusModz1337

ZeusModz1337

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
The console could have been refurbished at GameStop at one point. It really doesn't matter.... its just more safe for the console to have the X-Clamp instead of the screws. Since that the way Microsoft does it. Its only a couple dollars to change it back to X-Clamp. It's really up to you.

RetroGamers17

RetroGamers17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
yeah i wouldnt worry about it but how much did ur local pawn shop charge you for it ?
$45, plus $5 for the 3 month garuntee, no tax. They said they arent taking the 360s anymore so they were wanting to sell it quick. Its a elite jasper, but came with only a 20gb hard drive, and a xenon power supply and a super clean controller. 
The console could have been refurbished at GameStop at one point. It really doesn't matter.... its just more safe for the console to have the X-Clamp instead of the screws. Since that the way Microsoft does it. Its only a couple dollars to change it back to X-Clamp. It's really up to you.
Yes, it actually was, when i took it apart it had a few broken gamestop stickers. But can i do further damage by converting it back to x clamp? My main worry is something gets messed up from the pressure being taken off of the cpu/gpu.

ZeusModz1337

ZeusModz1337

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
$45, plus $5 for the 3 month garuntee, no tax. They said they arent taking the 360s anymore so they were wanting to sell it quick. Its a elite jasper, but came with only a 20gb hard drive, and a xenon power supply and a super clean controller. 

Yes, it actually was, when i took it apart it had a few broken gamestop stickers. But can i do further damage by converting it back to x clamp? My main worry is something gets messed up from the pressure being taken off of the cpu/gpu.
Not really. All that is under the CPU/GPU is thermal paste. Once you unscrew the screws the X-Clamp will fall right off. Just be careful.

RetroGamers17

RetroGamers17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Not really. All that is under the CPU/GPU is thermal paste. Once you unscrew the screws the X-Clamp will fall right off. Just be careful.
Well, thermal paste is between the cpu/gpu and the heatsink. But can lessening the pressure on the cpu chip cause it to relieve stress between the cpu and the board and cause something to become disconnected? I cant afford to buy another 360, and this was the last fat 360 at that pawnshop. Thats why i was thinking about waiting till i can buy another 360 at a yard sale or something before messing with this one.

ZeusModz1337

ZeusModz1337

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, thermal paste is between the cpu/gpu and the heatsink. But can lessening the pressure on the cpu chip cause it to relieve stress between the cpu and the board and cause something to become disconnected? I cant afford to buy another 360, and this was the last fat 360 at that pawnshop. Thats why i was thinking about waiting till i can buy another 360 at a yard sale or something before messing with this one.
Taking the heat sinks off will not do damage to the console. Once you remove the heat sinks apply new thermal past before putting back on. It will not hurt the console.

MouseHacks

MouseHacks

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
they prolly are doing that because i heard that xbl is coming to a end for 360 s ? 
Taking the heat sinks off will not do damage to the console. Once you remove the heat sinks apply new thermal past before putting back on. It will not hurt the console.
it can hurt a phat it can cause it to rrod if u remove them .. its a 50/50 shot

ZeusModz1337

ZeusModz1337

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
they prolly are doing that because i heard that xbl is coming to a end for 360 s ? 

No, its an refurbished console from gamestop. GameStop does that to all there Phat Consoles. 

I have removed Heat Sinks on over 50 + Consoles. Never did it once give an console RROD. So its not an 50/50 Shot.

MouseHacks

MouseHacks

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
No, its an refurbished console from gamestop. GameStop does that to all there Phat Consoles.
Dont reply to the thread if u havent read above that its not purchased from gamestop its purchased from a local pawn shop .. he wanting to kno if he can fix the x - clamp bolt mod the previous owner did to it

ZeusModz1337

ZeusModz1337

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
Dont reply to the thread if u havent read above that its not purchased from gamestop its purchased from a local pawn shop .. he wanting to kno if he can fix the x - clamp bolt mod the previous owner did to it
Look above. Maybe you should read the thread.

4a0b652f51d87f367b5d12651dfb1c9d.png

RetroGamers17

RetroGamers17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

I have removed Heat Sinks on over 50 + Consoles. Never did it once give an console RROD. So its not an 50/50 Shot.
Has a few of those 50+ consoles been bolt modded? So, Gamestop fixed a bunch of 360s back in the day even if they didnt require being fixed? Like these x clamp kits only cost $5 so, i dont think it can really hurt to try it. Is this all the parts i need? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Microsoft...1d29c1f:g:cGUAAOSwezVWx47Q&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

ZeusModz1337

ZeusModz1337

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
Has a few of those 50+ consoles been bolt modded? So, Gamestop fixed a bunch of 360s back in the day even if they didnt require being fixed? Like these x clamp kits only cost $5 so, i dont think it can really hurt to try it.
Yes, if i didn't have an console in stock i would run to Gamestop and get one. Im also not sure. I think GameStop did the Screws with every console. No matter what. I think they just thought it was "better".... but it really isn't. Trust me your not gonna f*** up the console taking off the heat sinks. If you don't use your brain then sure i guess you can break it. LOL

RetroGamers17

RetroGamers17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes, if i didn't have an console in stock i would run to Gamestop and get one. Im also not sure. I think GameStop did the Screws with every console. No matter what. I think they just thought it was "better".... but it really isn't. Trust me your not gonna **** up the console taking off the heat sinks. If you don't use your brain then sure i guess you can break it. LOL
Thanks, That put my mind at ease a bit. Thats probably what they mean by "Refurb", So is this all the parts i need to change it back? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Microsoft...1d29c1f:g:cGUAAOSwezVWx47Q&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true And i decided to google it, And found this video where they did the same fan mod too. Did you swap them back out for original x clamps when you saw it was bolt modded when you used to do this professionally?

ZeusModz1337

ZeusModz1337

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks, That put my mind at ease a bit. Thats probably what they mean by "Refurb", So is this all the parts i need to change it back? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Microsoft...1d29c1f:g:cGUAAOSwezVWx47Q&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true And i decided to google it, And found this video where they did the same fan mod too. Did you swap them back out for original x clamps when you saw it was bolt modded?

Yes, That's everything you need. No, i didn't have any extra X-Clamps. I just left the screws. They also had that extra wire peace so you get 12V Fan mod. Keeps the console cooler.

RetroGamers17

RetroGamers17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, thats what mine has. I like the 12v mod, its really clean and i dont mind the extra noise considering i either use headphones or concert style speakers. I would have to hope it wasnt done as a fix, but just as a way to tell people that they fixed the rrod. Being a jasper it doesnt usually have problems, although im sure some jaspers got ran into the ground by somebody who played 12 hours a day...

Top Bottom
Login
Register