What's new

Tutorial A guide to rooting and terminology.

• Thread starter Videogamedingus
  • Start date
  • Views 379
Videogamedingus

Videogamedingus

aesthetic
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Rooting. Akin to jailbreaking it's is a way of freeing your device from its constraints. However to a new face this all might seem scary. What's a bootloader? Is my bootloader locked? What does that even mean? Well I am here to help you out. Let's start with a little terminology. I will be updating this guide as I have free time.

Bootloader- Similar to Windows BIOS, it runs before the actual Android operating system starts up. Remember android is like Linux or Debian, it's an operating system. From the bootloader you can flash a new "distro" or what most people call "ROMS".

HBOOT- It is similar to the BIOS on a Windows machine. Mainly found on HTC devices, when you boot into HBOOT you are given options such as these
hboot.png

S-Off- If you have S-ON when you power your phone into HBOOT it means that you are unable to flash a Rom to your device. This is mainly for HTC phones. Most people won't have to worry about this unless they are rooting one of HTC's devices.

Superuser- It is installed or can be installed once a user is rooted (it can be installed if you aren't rooted but will have no functionality). It is like running a program on Windows as an Administrator. It gives a app specific permissions into the file system so it can perform certain tasks. It doubles as a security system of sorts. If a rogue app wants to run something in the background it has to go through Superuser 99% of the time.

NAND partition- the part of the storage that stores system information such about the bootloader, recovery mode, kernel, and the radio.

Last edited:
S

Scarlett Johansson

(⌐■_■)
Reaction score
Sin$
HBOOT is another word for Bootloader...

The recovery is also important.

Top Bottom
Login
Register