What's new

Discussion Why should i switch from Windows to Linux?

• Thread starter The_Notorious_BIG
  • Start date
  • Views 704
The_Notorious_BIG

The_Notorious_BIG

NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Reaction score
Sin$
My Dad told me that i should get Linux and he keeps on telling me that its basically better all round because it don't need .EXE files to run stuff so that means its resistant to viruses etc etc and its more stable and i sort of listen to him but then i sort of dont at the same time. He's told me many more good things about Linux but i want you to tell me really good things that Linux can do better than windows or something that Windows cant do at all. he also keeps on saying that it wil be pretty got when Steam OS comes out and i sort of agree with him on that, im sure it will. But none of this is making me just switch to LInux like right now. I still have something for Windows.He also told me that user is separate to the system. can someone tell me why thats good? Apparently thats what windows don't do and its bad...

Now yes windows is a OS for home and office where as Linux is something for more industrial work and i heard that hospitals are now using it because its better and its free.

Im going to start us of saying that Linux is better because its safer...

Can we try and get 30 points on why linux is better than windows then i might go and change my OS.

ALSO: Could someone recommend me a Distro, i like something that just does everything on the table with most core programs and something that is compatible with most programs from the internet and is their a version that works with Microsoft office 2013 professional. I really need that on too.

Operating System
  1. Linux
Last edited:
Wheen

Wheen

Bytesexual
Retired
Programmer Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Don't switch. You're evidently not in the mentality of a Linux user (And are overlooking some things that Linux lacks that many people take for granted. Decent Netflix support, anyone?). You'll just try it, get annoyed with the subtle differences, then go back to Windows.

The_Notorious_BIG

The_Notorious_BIG

NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Reaction score
Sin$
im using it now (Mint 14) and its okay its just installing something is a bit tricky. Yes i see a lot of differences and yes its sometimes easier or harder to do something. Like right now im trying to get spotify to install, but it wont install, so i went to youtube followed some vids and still cant. this is once problem that i've had for many apps...:frown:

Don't switch. You're evidently not in the mentality of a Linux user (And are overlooking some things that Linux lacks that many people take for granted. Decent Netflix support, anyone?). You'll just try it, get annoyed with the subtle differences, then go back to Windows.

Andzrej

Andzrej

Contributor
Hardened Veteran Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
im using it now (Mint 14) and its okay its just installing something is a bit tricky. Yes i see a lot of differences and yes its sometimes easier or harder to do something. Like right now im trying to get spotify to install, but it wont install, so i went to youtube followed some vids and still cant. this is once problem that i've had for many apps...:frown:

For the majority of people, switching to Linux isn't needed and will just complicate things in the long run.

TheVicious85

TheVicious85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
My Dad told me that i should get Linux and he keeps on telling me that its basically better all round because it don't need .EXE files to run stuff so that means its resistant to viruses etc etc and its more stable and i sort of listen to him but then i sort of dont at the same time. He's told me many more good things about Linux but i want you to tell me really good things that Linux can do better than windows or something that Windows cant do at all. he also keeps on saying that it wil be pretty got when Steam OS comes out and i sort of agree with him on that, im sure it will. But none of this is making me just switch to LInux like right now. I still have something for Windows.He also told me that user is separate to the system. can someone tell me why thats good? Apparently thats what windows don't do and its bad...

Now yes windows is a OS for home and office where as Linux is something for more industrial work and i heard that hospitals are now using it because its better and its free.

Im going to start us of saying that Linux is better because its safer...

Can we try and get 30 points on why linux is better than windows then i might go and change my OS.

ALSO: Could someone recommend me a Distro, i like something that just does everything on the table with most core programs and something that is compatible with most programs from the internet and is their a version that works with Microsoft office 2013 professional. I really need that on too.

To see the TOP Linux Distro's Downloaded go HERE

Some Points Why Linux Is Better Than Windows:

1. It's FREE
2. Virus Free
3. Faster
4. More mods for the Desktop, Windows, and Effects
5. NO PRODUCT KEYS to worry about
6. Uses less RESOURCES
7. Huge community to help with your problems (installing, drivers, etc)
8. Lots of new programs to match Windows programs but FREE
9. Netflix Desktop is now able to run on Linux (YouTube for info)
10. You can create your own Linux distro and sell it if you want without worrying about getting sued
And I'm sure there's more but those are just off the top of my head

Andzrej

Andzrej

Contributor
Hardened Veteran Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Reasons not to get Linux:
-headaches
-much less support
-limited alternatives / ports to windows / mac programs
-headaches
-not faster for average users
-not good for average desktop use

Reasons to get Linux:
-FOSS
-you are comfortable with CLI
-you are running a server
-you have a really old machine and need ultra-lightweight operating systems

Last edited:
Vista Fanboy

Vista Fanboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I use Linux as a testing environment. I wouldn't recommend switching unless you have a really good reason for it.

cannedheat

cannedheat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I don't think you would be using Linux because you think it's better than another os, it just suits a particular purpose more than the other os. Windows and mac are great desktop experiences and Linux is more suited to networking and serving. You just throw it in a cupboard somewhere and it's happy to chugg along doing all the stuff that you don't want to. :smile:

Definitely a Cat

Definitely a Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If you are deciding to stitch and want to start somewhere easy, I'd say try Zorin OS. You can make the desktop look like a Macintosh or Windows (Vista,7,8). Get used to using some of the easier distros before you go off exploring and make sure you have back ups of the previous distro or Windows just in case.

Joshy

Joshy

Premium
Glitcher Mythical Veteran Modder
Reaction score
Sin$
Don't do it, as you can see there are nothing but bad reviews all in this thread.

Viomi

Viomi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Linux is faster, all around. It won't eat your resources. Linux is much more customizable, open source, and free. Linux is for advanced users who know what they are doing and want a computer they can make their own. Windows is for suckers who need to be babywalked through everything and don't know any coding or unix usage, etc.

Also mint is a **** distro for people who can't do things themselves and should be on windows anyways. Use Ubuntu for balance between ease and use.

So for most, yes, I would suggest staying with Windows unless you know what you are doing.

Tatsou

Tatsou

Reaction score
Sin$
Ubuntu is normally my first choice but TBH Mint is the better one to run from what i see.

Mob Zombi

Mob Zombi

Intelligence Is Mine
Reaction score
Sin$
Linux is awesome unlike windows.
Edit - If you do get linux you must try out kali.

Top Bottom
Login
Register