What's new

Question USB makes my PC slow

YBJoka

YBJoka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi, I have a 1GB USB that I use for work and whenever I insert it into my pc (HP Pavillon 17-e153sa), it reduces the performance of my computer alot. I try using the USB but every time I try and look at my files, the File explorer freezes and stops responding. Works on the college computers, so surely it should work on mine. I need help :frown:

J

JoinTheResistance

Dead to the world, alive for the journey...
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi, I have a 1GB USB that I use for work and whenever I insert it into my pc (HP Pavillon 17-e153sa), it reduces the performance of my computer alot. I try using the USB but every time I try and look at my files, the File explorer freezes and stops responding. Works on the college computers, so surely it should work on mine. I need help :frown:
Try another flash drive, if it only happens with that 1GB one, then it's probably dying.

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Programmer Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Bad USB port or bad USB Storage Device. Or a virus.... Fun Fun Fun!

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Programmer Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Ouch, like the ones that keep your CPU usage at like 99% so you can't do anything useful?

Lol probably a virus. Check your autoplay settings and make sure nothing is auto-playing. Also, do you have any kind of active scanning software running such as a virus scan?

Have you tried to leave the storage device connected for at least an hour and see if the CPU normalizes?
Hold old is the storage device. After so long the storage medium cannot store data any longer which is why things go bad. Its one of the issues that plagued SSDs. 
How can a flash drive die?

The storage medium can only be written to so many time. Like 10k to 20k times. It depends on the medium. But after that point, little parts of the medium cant be written to and so they corrupt. Maybe your PC is trying to correct the corruption?

Reedradar

Reedradar

Flex and bass is what life is all about.
Reaction score
Sin$
If my radio formats the SD card it does the same. Try to reformat it.

Red58

Red58

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Lol probably a virus. Check your autoplay settings and make sure nothing is auto-playing. Also, do you have any kind of active scanning software running such as a virus scan?

Have you tried to leave the storage device connected for at least an hour and see if the CPU normalizes?
Hold old is the storage device. After so long the storage medium cannot store data any longer which is why things go bad. Its one of the issues that plagued SSDs. 

The storage medium can only be written to so many time. Like 10k to 20k times. It depends on the medium. But after that point, little parts of the medium cant be written to and so they corrupt. Maybe your PC is trying to correct the corruption?
I do not have this issue. I keep my PC very clean. I was giving like an example.

Z

Zoolander

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I had somewhat the same issue once, I reformatted a flash drive I've owned for several years and when I did, my laptop literally just stopped working? And NO, I didn't format the hard drive lol... In the middle of reformatting the flash drive (The long way) Windows explorer stopped working and I restarted by computer only to find out windows somehow got really messed up... I had to reinstall windows and all my drivers completely. I simply used a different flash drive... It's odd but can you post all of your specs? :smile:

Top Bottom
Login
Register