• Views 116,497
Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
MotM Bright Idea 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
So welcome to the jailbreak problems and Cydia errors super thread. Let's get started with Cydia eh?
Most Cydia error messages mean there are problems with packages or sources you have installed, not bugs in Cydia, so you can resolve the errors yourself. A lot of errors can be solved by doing the following:
  1. Open Cydia, go to Changes, tap Refresh on the top left, wait for data to download and reload (if this process takes a long time it's fine), and then try installing a package.
  2. If that does not fix it, try this: open Cydia, go to Manage and tap Sources (or on iPad just go to Sources), tap Edit, and remove any third-party repositories — make sure to leave the default repositories, which are BigBoss, Cydia/Telesphoreo, ModMyi, and ZodTTD/MacCiti (this is very important as these are some of the most important sources).
  3. If that still does not help, try rebooting your device and opening Cydia again.
But there are some errors that need more specific troubleshooting, or you might want to skip that general-purpose process and jump to the specific problem. Here are explanations for several error messages (in alphabetical order for your ease of searching...or you can just type ctrl+f or cmd+f to find a specific error...up to you...):

dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg configure -a' to correct the problem
Cydia tries to fix this problem automatically. If this is the only error message displayed, you can ignore it and use Cydia normally.
Encountered a section with no Package: header
You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

One or more of your installed sources is set up incorrectly. You should be able to remove the problematic source by going to Manage -> Sources on iPhone and iPod touch (or Sources on iPad) and tapping "Edit" at top right. If you are not sure which one to remove, try removing all of them except the defaults (Cydia/Telesphoreo, Dev Team, ModMyi, and ZodTTD/MacCiti). To run "apt-get update" you must download MobileTerminal (it is currently supported on iOS 6). Next you type the following commands in:
  1. su (this puts the iDevice terminal into super user mode)
  2. "password" (the original password is "alpine" without quotes, if you changed it then insert you password without the quotes)
  3. apt-get update (just let it run until it is finished)

failed in buffer_write(fd) (7, ret=-1)
Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

There is not enough disk space (on the system or user partitions or both) for Cydia to install this package. Try removing some files first. On iPhone and iPod touch, you can go to Manage -> Storage to check available space on both the system and user partitions.

GPG error: [repository] stable Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG [number]

This is a minor problem with a source. You did nothing wrong and can continue to use Cydia normally. Just come back and try again later and hopefully it will be fixed.

GPG error: [repository] stable Release: The following signatures were invalid: NODATA 1 NODATA 2
Failed to fetch [repository] Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

One or more of your installed sources is temporarily or permanently unavailable. You may have typed in the wrong URL, the source may have shut down, the source may be broken, or the source may be denying your connection for some other reason. Try again later. If this problem keeps happening over many days, you can remove the problematic source by going to Manage -> Sources on iPhone and iPod touch (or Sources on iPad) and tapping "Edit" at top right.

Hash Sum mismatch

The downloaded file does not match the file on the source's server. This is often caused by a download getting interrupted before it finished, sometimes due to network problems and sometimes due to server problems. Try installing this package again later.

Host Unreachable

This may mean that your internet connection is not working, a source is not working, or something else is not working (such as the Cydia Store system). This is probably a temporary problem, so try again later.

HTTP/1.0 403 This package is either paid or requires a paid package to function. If you paid: contact [email protected] for help. If not, purchase the original package.
If you get this error while trying to download a paid package you have already purchased, email [email protected] for help.

If you are trying to download a paid package you have not purchased, buy it and then try downloading it again. If you are trying to download a free add-on to a paid package (for example, a package adding a new option to Color Keyboard), you have to purchase that paid package before you will be able to download this add-on.

HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

Something seems to be wrong with the source hosting this package. This is probably a temporary problem, so try again later. It is sometimes caused with high server load.

I wasn't able to locate file for the [package] package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package.

Something weird went wrong. Try going to the Changes tab, tapping "Refresh" at top left, waiting for data to finish downloading, and then installing this package again.

POSIX error: Operation Timed Out.
POSIX: Socket is not connected.
NetDB: Open nodename nor servname provided, or not known.

Cydia is working properly, but something is wrong with your device's connection to one or more of your installed sources. Your internet connection may not be working properly, or the source may not be working properly. Check your internet connection and try again later.

Problem parsing dependency Pre-Depends or Problem parsing dependency Depends
Error occurred while processing [repository]
Problem with MergeList [file]
The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened

One or more of your installed sources is set up incorrectly. (This is a problem with that source, not with Cydia.) You should be able to remove the problematic source by going to Manage -> Sources on iPhone and iPod touch (or Sources on iPad) and tapping "Edit" at top right.

subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status [number] or subprocess dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile returned error exit status [number] or similar

Something seems to be wrong with this package. Tap "Author" at the top of the package page and email the developer (and ideally the repository manager as well) to let them know about the problem and ask for help.

trying to overwrite [file], which is also in package [package]

You are trying to install a new package that contains the same filenames as a package you already have installed, so you cannot install this new package. You can usually avoid this problem by avoiding (or uninstalling) illegally copied versions of packages.

Wow, you exceeded the number of package names this APT is capable of.
Problem with MergeList [file]
The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
You have more than 66,000 packages available from your installed sources, and Cydia cannot handle this many. Go to Manage -> Sources on iPhone and iPod touch (or Sources on iPad), tap "Edit" at top right, and remove some sources. It's recommended to keep the stock repositories (BigBoss, Cydia/Telesphoreo, Dev Team, ModMyi and ZodTTD/MacCiti).

This error is no longer an issue with the new cydia update. Cydia now holds a few billion packages...which is more metadata than your device has storage for.

Error Couldn’t configure pre-depend dpkg for ncurses, probably a dependency cycle:

The common reason why you would get this error is because your version of cydia is outdated. In order to update cydia, all you have to do is re-jailbreak without restoring...yes I mean jailbreak an already jailbroken iDevice.
Some people have also had luck with simply rebooting their iDevice then letting cydia update it's repositories.

POSIX error: Broken Pipe

This error is known to occur when the connection between your device and the server hosting the package is broken (aptly named eh?). Anyway, just like any other server connection problem, you simply have to try again later.

Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status - open (2: No such file or directory)

Please read this detailed tutorial on how to fix the problem.

Now then, for the jailbreak errors....

Auto Brightness Bugs
This is sometimes caused by a tweak or by a respring. It has happened a lot on my phone recently. The bug seems to come and go so you never know what will work for sure. You can try turning the auto brightness function off then on again, reboot your device, or both.

Stuck at Boot Screen
This seems to be a common problem with the new Evasi0n jailbreak. The fastest way to fix the problem is to hard restart the iDevice. To hard restart you simply hold the power and home buttons for about 5 seconds or until the screen goes black. The device will reboot and hopefully it will not be stuck. If it is, just try it a few more times. If it is still stuck then you will most likely have to restore your iDevice to factory settings and reapplying the jailbreak.
NOTE: For some reason with the Evasi0n jailbreak the boot time is unusually long. If you phone doesn't boot up after three minutes then you are definitely stuck.

Problems with the stock Weather.app
There have been a lot of users complaining about the Weather.app file (the normal stock weather application) not working after using the Evasi0n jailbreak. By not working, I mean crashing. You must be patient for this to be fixed. Some of you may have the but while others don't. Personally, I don't have it on my iPhone 4S.

Cydia Applications Crashing
This could be caused by any number of things. The most common reason why applications crash after you install them through Cydia is that they simply are not compatible with the iOS you are running. For example, when my iPhone 4S was jailbroken on iOS 5.1.1, I was able to use eWiFi. Now, on iOS 6.1, I am unable to use eWiFi because it crashes every time I attempt to run the application. You can take two paths from here, you can uninstall the application and check on it later to see if it has been updated to work on the iOS you are running, or you can save the application and wait for Cydia to prompt you for an update...if one ever comes...

Random White Icon Show Up After Installing SBSettings
In order to fix this you simply open the SBSettings application, click the option for mobile substrate addons, and turn off "libhide". Your device will Respring after making this change so don't panic.

Random Application Crashes
This can be caused by any number of things, most commonly though it is caused by lack of good memory allocation and out-dated cydia packages. There are a few things you can do in order to fix this. Make sure you go into cydia once or twice a week and make sure all your tweaks and applications are up-to-date. Ones that are not up-to-date, may be leaking memory causing more and more to be used up than is actually needed. There is a package on the cydia store named iCleaner. This app deletes all the temp files that are not needed or being used in order to speed up your device. Another important thing you can do is clean out the multitasking tray, this closes all applications running in the background. After you clean out the tray, you can either reboot or respring you iDevice. I recommend rebooting since it does a more thorough job.

Runtime Error info.plist Not Found
This is a semi-common error found while using the Cydia store application called Dreamboard. If you encounter this error, don't panic, it is fixable. First what you will want to do is download the program called Redsn0w. You would download it from here (just scroll down to where it says Download Redsn0w then choose the one for your firmware in the drop-down window). Next, you will want to boot your iDevice in safe mode (this can be done with a springboard application or by holding the volume up buttom while turning on the iDevice). Next, you will want to go into Cydia and completely uninstall Dreamboard. After that, simply reboot your iDevice and you should be good to go. Feel free to download Dreamboard again, but make sure you download themes that are compatible with your iDevice and/or firmware.

I just resprang and all my apps have disappeared
This happens from time to time with certain springboard applications such as Atom and LowBatteryBanner. The fix is pretty easy, all you have to do is reboot your iDevice. If it doesn't work after the first reboot, try it a couple more times.

My iDevice keeps forcing itself into safe mode
This happens because you have installed or updated a package that is damaged or incompatible with your firmware or iDevice. The simplest way to fix this is just to go in to cydia while you are in safe mode and remove the installed package. That will fix the problem 9/10 times. I highly suggest that you go through your installed package list once a week and do some cleaning. That way you don't have to worry about overloading your iDevice with unneeded packages.

New Method to fix your iDevice

Yup, that's right. Just recently a new method was made to fix most of your jailbreak problems. This method is called Semi-Restore. This method allows you to restore your iDevice to almost stock firmware while preserving your jailbreak. The Semi-Restore site is http://semi-restore.com/
please check it out, it's incredibly helpful.

Warning: if you remove a package that is installed to cydia (such as package icon sets or cydia patches), it may damage the kernel and may force your iDevice in to an infiniboot. The only way to fix this is with a restore.

If I missed anything please let me know so I can update this post. You may post any bugs you have encountered at all throughout your experience with jailbreaking any iDevice. If you have a solution, please post that as well so that I can easily update the original post. If you don't have a solution, then worry not, post anyway, and I will look for a solution.

Operating System
  1. iOS
Last edited:
_____

_____

True Divinity
Diamonds Are Forever Frame In Gold Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Oh my gosh. I just got through writing long explanations on a bunch of possible errors, and was about to post it. I was so proud until I realized you posted a similar thing first. Good job beating me to it by 2 months, and good job with this in general.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
Tabuu Tabuu
How true is this? Cause I've removed things that install into Cydia and have never encountered this issue, on various devices as well. :eek:
Warning: if you remove a package that is installed to cydia (such as package icon sets or cydia patches), it will damage the kernel and force your iDevice in to an infiniboot. The only way to fix this is with a restore.

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
Tabuu Tabuu
How true is this? Cause I've removed things that install into Cydia and have never encountered this issue, on various devices as well. :eek:
It only seems to happen on packages that have the red bar that says "Warning: This package is installed directly to cydia."

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
It only seems to happen on packages that have the red bar that says "Warning: This package is installed directly to cydia."
I know, icon packages for repo's usually say that, and some others. Which I've removed on more than one occasion. Just saying you might want to update that statement in the OP to something along the lines of it might put your device into a bootloop.

verapham_

verapham_

Reaction score
Sin$
[QUOTE="
If I missed anything please let me know so I can update this post. You may post any bugs you have encountered at all throughout your experience with jailbreaking any iDevice. If you have a solution, please post that as well so that I can easily update the original post. If you don't have a solution, then worry not, post anyway, and I will look for a solution.[/QUOTE]

Hi! So, I actually have a problem with Cydia and I can't find a solution for it. Is it alright if you can hep me find a solution for it? So my problem is that whenever I try to download a new source on Cydia a source warming shows up. I tap "Add Anyway", but it suddenly just freezes. I'm not sure why, before, everything on Cydia worked fine and my iPad didn't freeze when the source warning showed up. Cydia still works fine, but I really want to download new sources. Do you know why it freezes? Thanks for your time!

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
[QUOTE="
If I missed anything please let me know so I can update this post. You may post any bugs you have encountered at all throughout your experience with jailbreaking any iDevice. If you have a solution, please post that as well so that I can easily update the original post. If you don't have a solution, then worry not, post anyway, and I will look for a solution.

Hi! So, I actually have a problem with Cydia and I can't find a solution for it. Is it alright if you can hep me find a solution for it? So my problem is that whenever I try to download a new source on Cydia a source warming shows up. I tap "Add Anyway", but it suddenly just freezes. I'm not sure why, before, everything on Cydia worked fine and my iPad didn't freeze when the source warning showed up. Cydia still works fine, but I really want to download new sources. Do you know why it freezes? Thanks for your time!
Sounds like there is an issue with the way cydia was installed on the device that is causing cydia to have problems adding sources. What version of iOS are you on?

verapham_

verapham_

Reaction score
Sin$
Sounds like there is an issue with the way cydia was installed on the device that is causing cydia to have problems adding sources. What version of iOS are you on?

Right now, I am currently using IOS 7.0.4 iPad 2 Wifi. Like I said, it used to work perfectly before, but I guess some happened :frown:

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
Right now, I am currently using IOS 7.0.4 iPad 2 Wifi. Like I said, it used to work perfectly before, but I guess some happened :frown:
Hmmmmm you may have installed a package directly to cydia. Packages installed to cydia include repo icons and things of the like. One of those packages may have been corrupted while installing which lead it to mess things up. The best thing to do would be to use semi-restore and reinstall all your tweaks.

irving102

irving102

If you are reading this, you can read.
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Hmmmmm you may have installed a package directly to cydia. Packages installed to cydia include repo icons and things of the like. One of those packages may have been corrupted while installing which lead it to mess things up. The best thing to do would be to use semi-restore and reinstall all your tweaks.
pangu will jailbreak ios 7.1.3 so why semi restore

Top Bottom
Login
Register